Building a new computer please halp!

Hi guys,

I'd like to hear some opinions on what components should I buy for my new computer. Currently I've got a laptop, since I valued mobility over performance when I bought it, but now I'm moving to a new apartement and I plan to buy a new computer as well. My budged is around 1300$ (I live in Poland ) without the monitor. I will mostly play wow and SC II + maybe C.o.D. I'd like the computer to be able to max out graphics in wow on a 27inch full HD monitor and be fairly powerful for some autoCAD drawings ( since I study engineering ), or some other hardcore 3D programmes for designing stuff. I'm not a newbie with assembling computers, but I'm working full time now and have very little time for other activities. I looked over Chaud's setups of the month, but I don't really know whether the components are a good performance/money value. I'm almost sure that I'll be buyin an i5-2500k and overclocking it. The real question is, what is the best graphics card ? I always had an nvidia system so is GTX 570 beating the HD 69++ ? I'd greatly apperciate your help, thanks!

Nvidia has better 3D support than AMD. This (tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=692378&CatId=333) comes with everything you could ever want/need as far as a computer is concerned. It's around $1400 (with a $50 mail-in-rebate.) If you really wanted to, you could spend an additional $220 and get an extra graphics card (tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7191450)

If you go with Chaud's Narwhal setup, you can utilize the extra money left over (about $300 if you don't go with SSD or get a cheaper SSD), you could get the second card and still stay within your budget. Here is an augmented setup from the Narwhal, with a SSD (amazon.com/gp/wishlist/2IIWF3G4Q3CFY/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_wl) The GPUs come with $30 mail-in-rebates, so the total cost of the system is about $1300. Hope this helps.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/879505-quot-Sweet-Spot-quot-Build

C
    heck out this thread, and by the way, Intel's CPU's destroy and AMD ones right now, though they are quite a bit more expensive leaving it to your choice.
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html Benchmarks. I would take this

$1500 Build

Case: Antec 900 $99.99
    Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W $89.99
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68 UD-4 $189.99
    Processor: Intel i7 2600k $314.99
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 $89.99
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage 8GB $84.99Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 64MB Cache 1TB $89.99
    Optical Disc Drive: Sony Optiarc SATA DVD/CD Burner $19.99
    Graphics Card: MSI Twin Frozr II GTX560 Ti $249.99
    Total: About 1233.90 USD

I took the SSD out and put a GTX560 Ti in. It Overclocks like a beast and will run whatever you need it to. Also, you can change the i7 for an i5 if you don't need the hyperthreading. (Being an architect you probably do.)

Also, I'm sorry about the Newegg links, I dunno a good Polish site, so i left some room for foreign price difference. You can bump the CPU cooler to a Hyper212+ to save money or take a slightly cheaper MOBO (This one only have 1 Gcard, PCIE Express Slot so no SLI/Xfire).

Have fun =D

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

Thank you guys for the suggestions. What kind of SSD would you suggest ? I'd like it to be around 80 gb so it can hold the system + couple of games.

Deleted
    If your planning on using AutoCAD and other 3D then the i7 is a better CPU
    Last edited by mmocdd13a66d9d; 2011-08-10 at 02:35 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sneasel View Post
    If your planning on using AutoCAD and other 3D then the i7 is a better CPU
    This. in games, the performance difference is nonexistant, but in CAD it will be noticeable.

for GPUs let me redirect you here: http://videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
    AMD cards perform better than on this chart in some games due to optimisation, this chart is a compilation of many different benchmarks afaik.

For EU price your looking here at a 1000 Euro budget (Mindfactory.de)

80 Should be enough for WOW+OS+1 maybe 2 other games

Rather get a second gen one. (Corsair force 80gb comes in my mind)
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tearor View Post
    This. in games, the performance difference is nonexistant, but in CAD it will be noticeable.

for GPUs let me redirect you here: http://videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
    AMD cards perform better than on this chart in some games due to optimisation, this chart is a compilation of many different benchmarks afaik.
    Due to optimization? All graphics chip vendors optimize their drivers for particular games. 3DFX did it with their voodoo cards. If anything Nvidia has a lack of optimizations for those particular games. Sorry to nitpick but that sounded like a bias statement.

edit: Ok I checked out that chart. 100% useless. Tomshardware would be a better resource. Best video game for your money articles, and I'm no fan of Toms either. They do way to many adverticles.

edit 2: Did you even look at the chart? It's a passmark list. Nothing more.
    Last edited by dicertification; 2011-08-10 at 12:19 PM.

Deleted
    Yep I was mistaken there, wrong list.
    My statement wasn't supposed to be biased towards one of the manufacturers, it was meant more like "even though some benchmarks show [one card] (slightly) ahead of [another card], [another card] can in different games take the lead".

Deleted
    The 590 scores less than a 580 in that chart, great chart.

lol "the chart" again... useless thing pops up almost every day lately
    check these for good benchmarks:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU11/188
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...ndex,2674.html
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    The 590 scores less than a 580 in that chart, great chart.
    Yep I get it now^^ it's not much use. PassMark is probably hurt by the 2GPU solution of the 590. Not a good reference, my apologies.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tearor View Post
    Yep I get it now^^ it's not much use. PassMark is probably hurt by the 2GPU solution of the 590. Not a good reference, my apologies.
    More by the fact that the list is composed of consumer contributions rather than actual benchmarking. It's not bad to see how x card should do, but its really horrid to see how x card does compared to y card.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard