Poll: 6870 or GTX 560

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

HD 6870 vs GTX 560

very honestly, which to choose?

videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html That should help answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by skycaptain View Post
    very honestly, which to choose?
    I would also like the answer for this, if you can reasons why which card is better or worst. Honestly I was going for the 6870 but im a newbie to cards so still needs help deciding.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're getting the regular 560 and not the TI, the 6870 should be higher in performance.

GTX 560, trust me.

Don't get a plain 560, they're a crappy deal. Consider the 560ti.
    A 6870 is really powerful for the price, you can get them for $150 on newegg right now.
    The 560ti and 6950 are about the same price and performance.
    The 6870 slightly outperforms a regular 560 and costs less.
    560ti/6870/6950 are the cards to go for if you want the best bang for your buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tira3l View Post
    videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html That should help answer your question.
    I wish people would stop linking that website, it's so innacurate... I mean really, it lists the 470 ahead of the 590 lmfao...
    Last edited by taekvideo; 2011-08-09 at 08:12 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purewrath View Post
    GTX 560, trust me.
    Without a source or evidence to back you up? No thanks.

It is about 90% dependent on your chipset.

If you have intel go with Nvidia.

If you have AMD go with Radeon.

The reasoning is because when AMD and Intel bought their respective gpu makers they then proceeded to have their chipsets play nicer with their own cards.

15+ Year Old Account
    If it's a GTX560 Ti variant, then you should check which games you play and choose if you play nVidia games (TWIMTBP programme) and select based on that, the 6870 vs. GTX560 Ti is a flip up really.

If it's a generic GTX560 then without question your choice should be a HD6870.

The link posted in the first replying poster is something you should ignore.

Because i would like to see the day that any single GPU GTX580 beats the GTX590/HD6990 in a game that supports Multi-GPU.
    Yet it ranks above both... so leave that as is.

---------- Post added 2011-08-09 at 08:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Davisdoesdallas View Post

The reasoning is because when AMD and Intel bought their respective gpu makers they then proceeded to have their chipsets play nicer with their own cards.
    Are you on Drugs? Because this is a pretty big hallucination.
    In fact a while ago research was done that for some reason nVidia ran better on AMD CPUs then Intel and ATi better on Intel then AMD.
    Research before you post.

10+ Year Old Account

Oh for the love of fuck. This is entirely false. At one point, it may have been true, but even then, the difference was minimal.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    I wish people would stop linking that website, it's so innacurate... I mean really, it lists the 470 ahead of the 590 lmfao...
    It lists the Winfast 470 higher than it, the stock 470 is a bit lower than the 590. The Winfast is also a much beefier card than the stock one. You can't just look at the number of the card and say "hey this one beats that, therefore this site is completely wrong." Plus it only has one sample of that card, and many samples of others, which I would feel a bit better about than just that one.

For example, the Winfast version:
    WinFast LeadTek GTX460 Specifications List

• GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
    • Graphics Bus PCI Express 2.0
    • Memory size 1024MB GDDR5
    • GPU/Memory clock 800/2000MHz
    • Memory data rate 4000MHz
    • Output Dual-Link DVI x 2+Mini HDMI
    • Memory Interface 256-bit
    • Data bandwidth( GB/sec.) 115.2
    • Fill Rate(billion texels/sec) 37.8
    • Stream process 336
    • RAMDACs (MHz) 400
    • Full Microsoft® DirectX®11 Shader Model5.0 Support
    • NVIDIA® 3D Vision™ Ready
    • DirectCompute Support
    • HDMI 1.3a Support
    • Built for Microsoft® Windows Windows 7™ & Vista™
    • OpenGL® 4.0 Optimizations and Support

Stock 460

GPU Frequency 675MHz
    Stream Processors 336
    Stream Processor Frequency 1,350MHz
    Texture Units 56
    ROPs 32
    Memory 1GB GDDR5
    Frequency 900MHz (3.6GHz effective)
    Memory Interface 256-bit
    Bandwidth 115GB/sec
    Last edited by Sephiracle; 2011-08-09 at 08:49 PM. Reason: formatting
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    It lists the Winfast 470 higher than it, the stock 470 is a bit lower than the 590. The Winfast is also a much beefier card than the stock one. You can't just look at the number of the card and say "hey this one beats that, therefore this site is completely wrong." Plus it only has one sample of that card, and many samples of others, which I would feel a bit better about than just that one.
    470 overclocked or not should NOT even be close to bring the same juice as a 590. We're talking 32 shader clusters on the 590 (although it's 16+16 running SFR/AFR) vs 14 clusters on the 470. Now imagine the massive advantage in clock speed you'd need to do in order to compensate for that. Obviously the benchmark they're running on that site does not scale with multi GPU very well.

It's not a perfect chart.

Like many said, if you're getting the 560, get it with the Ti.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    470 overclocked or not should NOT even be close to bring the same juice as a 590. We're talking 32 shader clusters on the 590 (although it's 16+16 running SFR/AFR) vs 14 clusters on the 470. Now imagine the massive advantage in clock speed you'd need to do in order to compensate for that. Obviously the benchmark they're running on that site does not scale with multi GPU very well.

It's not a perfect chart.
    It's not meant to be since its consumer driven. It averages out the submissions. Hover over the bar and it will tell you how many samples. You have to ask yourself if you trust the result of one sample versus hundreds.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted

Yeah, because AMD can so afford to have their GPUs underperform with Intel CPUs...

/facepalm

Seriously, the stuff people pull out of their arse at times is unbelievable.

As for the OPs question. For all intents an purposes, a Radeon HD 6870 vs. Geforce GTX 560 is a pretty even fight. Sure, one my pull ahead in a few benchmarks and fall behind in others, but these differences will be hard to measure, let alone see, in practice. Same applies for a Radeon HD 6950 vs. Geforce 560 Ti.

Radeon HD 6870.
    &nbsp;

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/330?vs=290

^

This isn't the most insanely accurate breakdown of comparisons, but it's typically reliable from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuckie Junkins69 View Post
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/330?vs=290

^

This isn't the most insanely accurate breakdown of comparisons, but it's typically reliable from my experience.
    Except it isn't comparable at all. The OP asks for GTX560, and you link a benchmark with the GTX560 Ti. The GTX 560 isn't even in the list.
    &nbsp;

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    It's not meant to be since its consumer driven. It averages out the submissions. Hover over the bar and it will tell you how many samples. You have to ask yourself if you trust the result of one sample versus hundreds.
    So on average the GTX470 should be equal to the GTX590/HD6990?
    The GTX580 kills every other card with ease?

Consumer driven crap is the proper description because if a GTX470 or 580 is THAT powerfull then there would be no need for a HD6990/GTX590, also their titles would be incorrect by the people who built them.

You have to ask yourself the following "Can i really trust a site that ranks the GTX580 so far above any of the king of the hill Dual-GPU that they shouldn't even exist, which also contradicts EVERY SINGLE HARDWARE REVIEW SITE IN THE WORLD?".

The answer is no, the rankings on that chart are incorrect, no matter how much you want it to be correct.

Ok pricks who doubt me. Why then when I got a 5860 when I built my current rig I got artifacting on two seperate Radeon 5860 with my intel chipset. Switched to my old nvidia 275 GTX and it works fine?

Mod Warning: Watch the language.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-08-09 at 09:37 PM.