Thread: Opinions please

Opinions please

Hi, I was looking for some criticism on this build? Whats good and whats not? Thanks in advance

- Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl Fans:1x 120mm Front, 1x 120mm Rear, Sound absorbing, ATX, mATX, mITX
    - Corsair TX V2 650W PSU ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze, Standard. 2x 6+2-pin PCIe, 8x SATA, 140mm Fan
    - Intel Core™ i5 Quad Processor i5-2500K 3,3GHz, Socket LGA1155, 6MB, Boxed
    - ASUS P8P67 PRO, Socket-1155 ATX, P67, DDR3, 3xPCIe(2.0)x16, CFX& SLI, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, FW, BT, EFI
    - Corsair Vengeance™ DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9 Kit w/2x 4GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, 1.5V, Vengeance Heatspreader, 240 pin
    - XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 "Dual Fan" PCI-Express 2.1, 2xDVI, HDMI, 2xmini-DisplayPort, 800MHz
    - Corsair SSD Force Series™ F60A, 60GB, SATA2, 2,5", 285MB/275MB/s read/write, incl 2,5" to 3,5" bracket
    - Western Digital Caviar® GreenPower™ 1TB Sata 3 Gb/s, 64MB Cache

Almost identical to what ive got atm, only exception is gfx and HD :P

Everything looks good, but id change the WD Greenpower HD for something else.

15+ Year Old Account
    Get a Sumsung spin point or a caviar black for your HDD and good to go!

Also be sure to grab a heatsink so you can OC your processor!

Get a samsung spinpoint f3 hdd, they're very fast and a good price. Don't ever get any "green" hdd unless it's a secondary drive just for movies/music.
    The rest looks great. What are you using the SSD for btw? You could get more performance out of it if you get a z68 mobo and use SRT.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Change the harddrive to a 7200RPM drive, I use the 1TB Samsung F3 Spinpoint.
    Increase the SSD-size, or drop it in favour of two additional harddrives for RAID0.

(for reference, I'm using the Corsair TX650, same case, the older gen i5, an HD6970, 8GiB Corsair RAM, Corsair F60 (non-A), so the rest is very fine)

Thanks for all the replies. Problem is that this is a premade bundle and whats there can't be changed... So I would have to buy a Spinpoint aswell as having the hard drive thats already there. Is it worth it? Is there room for another one in my cabinet? Heard it's quite small.

Theres more than enough room in the R3 you can put 6 or 8 HDs in it, ive got 4 and still got room =)

Well the Greenpower HDs are slow.. buy the bundle and if you feel the need for another HD buy one. They are dirt cheap nowadays.

15+ Year Old Account
    Trust me - you WILL notice SLOW load times with that HDD. It's worth every penny to buy another HDD, format the one in there to use as a data drive, and fresh install the OS on the spinpoint/caviar black.

Quote Originally Posted by Sopperino View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Problem is that this is a premade bundle and whats there can't be changed... So I would have to buy a Spinpoint aswell as having the hard drive thats already there. Is it worth it? Is there room for another one in my cabinet? Heard it's quite small.
    It's definitely worth it... a 1tb spinpoint f3 isn't very expensive and you'll easily notice the difference.. just use that as your primary hdd and use the green one as extra storage for movies/music/archives/etc
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sopperino View Post
    You might want to build yourself then and spare some money and/or get more sensible parts. If it's small store you can probably ask them to make changes if they want you as a customer.

Samsung Spinpoint F3 and WD Caviar Green costs about the same in US currently, so there's absolutely no point getting the slow ass WDGreen. Also 60GB SSD even though it's usable and good brand is very small. Should aim for 80-120GB size bracket. For example in Newegg USA the cheapest $/GB high speed SSD is Corsair Force F115 which is double size compared to the SSD currently in the set and costs only $50 more.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.