Forgot how to write? LOL

I probably shouldn't be "LOL"ing but I've recently discovered I sort of forgot how to write.

In my job I am NEVER writing things down on paper, it's always on the PC. Anytime I make a note/letter even for family, it's on the PC and printed out. Anyway I bought my sister a present and card for her birthday. I had to write a few things and it hit me that I had not actually written anything down on paper in years besides filling in forms. The pen just felt "odd" in my hand. I haven't really used a pen for longer than 10 seconds since finishing school.

I decided to test myself and I realized there were tons of words I just couldn't spell (even though I could spell them on a keyboard without a spell-check) It seems like when I am on the keyboard my hand patterns spell the words out and everything just goes well together, but when I had to actually write them down on paper it was another story - I just had a mind fuck.

Another thing...I can't seem to remember my passwords 100% unless I am using a keyboard to type them out.

yeah..it hits me pretty hard sometimes to. I use the computer for so many things, and use online banking. Then, when I actually go to a bank in person and have to sign, my signature looks like someone that had never seen humans before, and was given a pen. I feel kind of ashamed, but I Think that is just the world we live in these days, so many things are done digitally.

ugh i know how you feel. I'm a chef so i tend to write in all caps because it's easier to read what's stored in each container.

filling out forms is a nightmare, i've been writing a few out lately due to sale of house/new hosue bought.

i say again, ugh

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I have to sign my signature multiple times a day at work but if I go to write any other letters in cursive, I can't.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

10+ Year Old Account
    I purposely don't use things like spell check so I can remember how to spell words...it's kind of sad how a computer is dumbing all of us down -.-"

I have also noticed this happening to me. It just goes to show that your forgetting a skill that you don't use much anymore.

my hand shakes when i write. lol

I gotta agree with the password thing . I don't remember my WoW password . I type it like I'm a machine

10+ Year Old Account
    talk about hand cramps?

My hand writing used to be pretty good when I was younger. Then I found out about computers. Now it's garbage, but I never forget how to spell. I tend to just write really fast and my writing tends to mix standard and cursive and everything looks drawn out and is only legible by me. I also hate Language bullshit classes.

But when it comes to some exam then I try to make it look good.

And my signatures are based on 2 things. A. Compact B. Done really fast

yeah this has has slowly started happening to me to, so dont feel retarded! im only 20 but havnt had to write since high school ( i take my laptop to college) but i do have to write sometimes, for some classes, just not terrible often, but ive noticed a HUGE decrease in the quality of my hand writing (it was bad to begin with, im a guy, and im left handed) but i do see myself getting to the point of forgetting some letters here in another couple years!

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't forgotten how to write, yet. I don't know if I ever will. I mean, my handwriting can't get any worse right?(it's kinda bad) As for spelling, I don't think that will happen.

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

I haven't written anything in a few months or so, I'm not looking forward to the text time I write something

10+ Year Old Account
    I notice at times that I'll forget how to write out certain letters in cursive.

I actually had that happen to me a few years after "dropping" out of highgschool, would go to write something and draw blanks in my head, and my hand writing was awful.

Muscle memory is a funny thing. You wouldn't be able to tell me without thinking the position of all letters on a keyboard, but using your muscle memory you can pretty much figure it out in the time it takes you to write 26 letters on your keyboard (about 10 seconds for me - just tested).

Same applies with writing on your computer and on paper. Your brain memorized a lot of words that you can access without thinking through muscle memory, but lack of hand writing practice makes you rusty. Imagine playing a class for a year. Now go and play another one for 2 years and come back. I can bet you remember where you set all your keybinds just from muscle memory, but you'll have a hard time on one or two and your coordination will be off initially as you train yourself back into old (muscle) memories.

One problem with handwriting is that you are generally much slower than your train of thoughts which can lead you to skip words trying to catch up.
    Its the opposite with keyboards. Since you go so much faster, you can keep up with your mind and your muscle memory can even start writing words as they come into your head. How is that a problem? Muscle memory can write the completely wrong word ! (often with similar pronunciation or initial letters). However, that doesn't make it right for people who don't know the difference between your and you're ^^

Deleted
    I don't have that issue... but I write for at least three hours or so a day. So yeah... still rocking old school here.