CPU damaged from overheating?

Hey, so I recently bought a new PC, but it seems that the processor is running too hot (41C idle and up to 50-60C while running WoW). It's also lagging a bit in Windows sometimes, such as opening programs and general desktop usage (not constant freezing, but more than I'd expect from this PC).

I also tried a Prime95 stress test and it went all the way up to 90C before I stopped it, after a few minutes or so. The computer didn't shut down by itself once reaching those temps, but I read that it should never go above 75-80C (although I didn't fully reach TJ-Max, but was getting close).

Obviously something is wrong with the cooling, so I've ordered a CM Hyper 212+ HSF, and have some Arctic Silver 5 that I'll apply. My worry is that the CPU was damaged after rising to that temperature, or if all the problems will go away once I place a new HSF and thermal paste? Should I send it back in hopes of getting a new CPU? I read that if I apply my own thermal paste and HSF I'll void the warranty on it, which would suck if it turns out to be permanently damaged.

The specs are:

CPU - Intel i5 2500k (stock cooler and not OC'ed)
    Mobo - Asus P8Z68-V Pro
    GPU - EVGA GTX 570 "Superclocked"
    RAM - Kingston DDR3 HyperX Blu 8GB 1333Mhz
    PSU - Corsair TX V2 850W

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Deleted
    Unless it reached TjMax there's not even anything to worry about, and if it did it would've downclocked itself, or shut down.

It's very unlikely to be damaged... I was testing overclocks on my i5-2500k on stock cooling (LOL, got liquid cooling now xD) and went that hot quite a bit with no problem... it downclocks at around 90c to prevent it from getting hot enough to damage it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    edit: I failed at reading the entire post.

Have you tried re seating it with the Arctic Silver? I doubt it'll be permanently damaged. I had my 920 at almost 100 degrees when I first got it playing around with overclocking.
    Last edited by dicertification; 2011-08-10 at 12:27 PM.

Alright, but do you think the general lagging in Windows will go away once I replace the HSF? Is it downclocking itself because of high idle/load temps, making it run slower than it should?

Edit-

I haven't tried re-seating it with AS5 yet, because I didn't have the proper cleaning equipment etc. and my 212+ came in today, so didn't see the point in re-applying yet. I was also worried about voiding the warranty. Will try with the new 212+ and AS5 on Saturday though, just needed to check that I didn't have to send it back.
    Last edited by Domize; 2011-08-10 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Answer questions

Run cpu-z and keep your eye on the core speed while you do stuff. The common speeds you'll see are 1600mhz / 3300mhz / xxxxmhz (whatever it's overclocked to).
    If the lagging happens when the cpu is downclocking then yea it should go away with the better cooler.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Okay, so the core speed seems to be jumping between 1600.1-3 MHz with a x16.0 multiplier (0.9xx V), and 4200.2-6 MHz with a x42.0 multiplier (1.2-3 V).

This seems like a drastic difference to be jumping between? This is happening every 10-20 seconds, but seems to be hanging out mostly at 1600 MHz.

Edit -

Keep in mind that I haven't OC'ed it myself, so shouldn't it be at 3300 MHz, rather than 4200? I have set it to a "Performance mode" in the BIOS, but didn't think that would OC it. Is that why it's jumping up to 4200MHz?
    Last edited by Domize; 2011-08-10 at 01:11 PM.

1600mhz is what the cpu will downclock to when the processor is mostly idle (to save power) or when it's overheating (to drop the temp quickly). It won't scale between them, it's one or the other and that's normal... if it's dropping to 1600mhz while the cpu is under load (game running or some other program using a chunk of cpu time) then it's probably due to overheating.
    And yea it should hang out at 1600mhz pretty much constantly if you're just web browsing or doing random windows stuff... mine does that too... it only cranks up the power when it's actually needed.

Alright, so I tried turning it to normal mode in the bios, and that seems to have downclocked it back to 3.3-5 ghz. With WoW running, while standing in the middle of Org, CPU-Z is reading for the most part 3.4-5 ghz, temps are averaging about 60 C. (Still 40+ while idle though)

So, I guess it's not downclocking due to heat? Still getting some random lag spikes in Windows etc., and I can't think of any other faults with the PC, only the cpu temp.

You won't void your warranty with thermal paste. Just make sure you aren't using too much of it. More is not better. You want to put just a small dab of paste, maybe the size of a pill of advil or something. Too much can create a thermal damn and cause heat build up, but if the CPU were actually overheating the machine would be shutting down.

To me it sounds like Disk I/O that is causing your issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Domize View Post
    Alright, so I tried turning it to normal mode in the bios, and that seems to have downclocked it back to 3.3-5 ghz. With WoW running, while standing in the middle of Org, CPU-Z is reading for the most part 3.4-5 ghz, temps are averaging about 60 C. (Still 40+ while idle though)

So, I guess it's not downclocking due to heat? Still getting some random lag spikes in Windows etc., and I can't think of any other faults with the PC, only the cpu temp.
    You're still getting lagspikes in windows without the overclock enabled? hmm that's strange lol.
    what HDD do you have? it's the only other thing I can think of that might cause it.. other than some bizarre driver/software issue

I have Windows 7, WoW and some smaller programs installed on a Corsair Nova Series 2 60GB SSD

- newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233188

Otherwise I'm using a Seagate Barracuda 1TB hdd
    - newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697&Tpk=ST31000524AS

(Sorry, can't post links yet)

I have a similar build to yours, but I'm using the 2600k and the Asus P8Z68 Deluxe. When I was toying around with memory timings, I did at one point have a config that was stable but resulted in lag spikes in Windows 7, just as you described. Reverting to better/normal timings resolved the issue for me. Not sure if this is something you've messed with, and even then it's more problematic for me with 4x4GB sticks, but it's worth a look.

Also, there is a new BIOS update out last week that improves RAM compatibility and system stability. If you've not updated, you may want to consider it. The Z68 is still pretty new.

Haven't touched memory settings afaik, but I might as well check to see if it's doing anything automatically. To update BIOS, do I have just download the file and run it, or do I have to flash it? Never really done that before.

Deleted
    Sounds like a HDD problem, try running with only 1 and see wich one is causing those freeze spikes. I would bet my money on Seagates HDD.

I dont think its your CPU. running 60c is nothing imo. My idle temps are 56c and reaching as high as 70 on full load. Also you probably have a mobo that has a power saving function on, so it makes it drop clocks and cores off or to slow mhz when on idle. Sometimes it does it while gaming since it is not that smart program. Try to search your bios for results.

Deleted
    lagging/small freeze when opening programs is more likely issue with HDD than CPU, one thing you can try is go to the windows power settings, make sure you're using best performance power setting and in the advanced settings turn off shutting down HDD. In my old computer I had some serious short time freezing issues which were fixed with that, my HDD was shut down after it wasn't being used for a while and for some reason it lagged out the comp when it needed to restart.

Also make sure your SSD is properly configured. Here is a slightly older guide, just ignore the part about AHCI since your motherboard has defaulted to AHCI:

http://www.computing.net/howtos/show...ows-7/552.html

I tried disconnecting the Seagate HDD, but it seems to be lagging slightly still. It's hard to tell, 'cause it has a tendency to come and go. If it is the ssd's fault, would it help to format it and do a clean install of Win7, or would it be a matter of returning it for a new one? (hopefully I won't have to do that). Would the Seagate be affecting Windows 7 / programs on the SSD though?

Dynellen, already have it at best performance and no shutting down of the HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Domize View Post
    Haven't touched memory settings afaik, but I might as well check to see if it's doing anything automatically. To update BIOS, do I have just download the file and run it, or do I have to flash it? Never really done that before.
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int..._PRO/#download

Unzip it, put the ROM on a flashdrive and then go into your UEFI. Under "Tools" is something like Asus EZflash. Point it to the ROM on your flash drive and it'll take a minute or two to update.

Okay, I had configured the SSD according to that guide for the most part already, only thing is the Write-Cache buffer flushing thing, which I'm a little unsure about.
    I also can't find any usb sticks right now, so I couldn't try the bios update...

I'm headed out for a few days (until Saturday/Sunday), by which point I'll have the new HSF etc, and will continue to figure out this HDD issue. I just might semi-necro this thread then, and hopefully figure this out. You've all been really helpful, I just realized that this was bad timing on my part to be asking for help!