Deleted

how does arena rating work?

so I've been around inspecting random people, and I see a lot of them got a win/loss ratio like 1/1 or even 0.90/1,but still manage to get high rating while I am stuck at a very low rating even with a better win/loss and a lot more games. how's that possible?

Deleted
    They probably had higher MMR in previous seasons so they are matched with people similar to their rating. If you are at 1/1 at 1500 rating then you will be given opportunities to play against players with higher MMR, if you lose against them then you will face players with lower MMR and if you win, the cycle repeats (obviously the change between players you play is not so large but I hope you understand what i'm getting at)

If you go 0.9 vs 2500 MMR opponents you'll end up a lot higher then going 1.1 vs 1700 MMR guys obviously. If you have a low MMR now you gotta play a lot of games to grind it up higher.

Deleted
    The Arena system is based on the ELO rating used in chess.

But it has been somewhat modified over time.

Every player has a Match-Making rating that never resets (maybe from expansion to expansion, not sure). It changes depending on your wins and losses vs. various opponents but at a fairly slow rate. This rating also defines which opponents you fight. The system will always try and match you with people of a similar MMR. In the end, the system strives from a 50/50 win/lose ratio as Blizzard realized this is less detrimental to motivation than being farmed by good players on their way to the top.

You team rating, ergo the actual arena rating, will move towards your teams average MMR the more you play. At first it will move very quickly, but eventually slow down the closer you get to your actual MMR. That's why your rating goes up by 100 points/win when you first start a new team, only to eventually slow down to 10 points per win when you get close to your MMR.

After playing a lot of games in the same team, your team-rating should eventually be identical to your MMR. Then they both change at the same pace.

The one sticky of this entire forum. Read it