10m Heroic Shannox help

We downed Rag last week and moved on to Heroic Shannox. Everywhere we read, this fight is supposed to be as easy or slightly harder than Normal mode, but we didn't have much success last night.

Our tanks are doing the appropriate movement with Riplimb and Shannox to have the stacks fall off, the issues are with riplimb/traps and healing. Survival is the only issue, we aren't lasting long enough to take more than 20% off the boss. As a gauge, our worst DPS is higher than 20k on a single target boss like Baleroc, down around 16-17k on this fight. Raid makeup:

MM/SV hunter
    Arcane mage
    Boomkin (me)
    Fury/Arms Warrior
    Destro lock

2 Pally tanks

Holy priest
    Holy paladin
    resto druid

Our strat from a rageface perspective is to get him in crystal trap as soon as possible. We have markers for distance for tanks, and the dps are scattered along a line between the two markers.

We are working on awareness, where the traps spawn and communicating. Arcane mage is on rageface full-time and has no issues breaking face rage. mage is blinking and getting dog trapped, then upon breaking trap the passive aggro that has been difficult to kite so far. Do we need to spread further from the trapped dog? The one time I got passive aggro after trap broke, I ran through the boss along the line in order to stay in healing range, which has been an issue with people running out of the line, and was able to kite until the next facerage came. Many people died to the passive aggro and not getting heals. Should kiters be avoiding all damage or should the healers be keeping kiters up through damage?

Mage was unable to completely avoid melee damage while trying to find traps, is there a concise way for the mage to avoid damage other than iceblock? Can we stack in a way to have more predictable locations of crystal traps? they have been spread all over the place. If anyone knows specifically how to do the mage role in this strat, it would be useful. Also any input on passive aggro and handling that.

TL; DNR: Help with Rageface on Shannox, mage dying between traps, ranged dying to passive aggro.
    Last edited by Betelzeus; 2011-08-10 at 03:26 PM.

Deleted
    Frost armor reduces physical damage taken by 15%, tell your mage to use that.

When dog is trapped, people move far away so they can reset rageface stacks. Rageface with too many stacks will wipe the raid. If he face rages on someone, mage has to first move away before breaking it if rageface just came out of a trap so mage can run away and reset it himself (blink ftw). Also call out on ventrilo/teamspeak/mumble when the dog is trapped so people can move away, and have players targeted by crystal traps help out telling people where traps are (use markers). Have everyone have targets target activated and have rageface on focus so people can see who it targets and if they have to move away or not.

Basically you can 2 man heal this fight. If one healer has to run away from rageface, other healer (the one on the raid for example, because there will be no raid damage without facerage other than spear, which you have about a year for to heal back up before the next) takes his target.

Don't waste crystal traps on Riplimb, reset his stacks by kiting Shannox and slowing Riplimb properly. (he cannot be slowed when he has the spear, but he CAN be slowed when he is running to the spear to retrieve it)

One more minor thing: at the start the amount of crystal traps will be limited. Postpone trapping rageface until he actually starts to hurt (8-10 stacks) on the first 1 or 2 traps.
    Last edited by mmoc94162f50f7; 2011-08-10 at 03:58 PM.

its only easy if everyone does what they are assigned to do. If your raid walks up to shannox thinking i heard this is free loot, they will make silly mistakes. Remind them it may not be the hardest heroic boss but it is still easy to wipe on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardorius View Post

When dog is trapped, people move far away so they can reset rageface stacks.
    Do people scatter in all directions? Are all classes able to avoid getting melee'd because we had issues with healer range when people ran in random directions...

We put our boomkin on Rageface (with the shadow priest backing him up) and leave the arcane mage (me) on Shannox full time so that I can Slow Riplimb when he tries to fetch the spear, to get the tank's stacks fall off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelzeus View Post
    Do people scatter in all directions? Are all classes able to avoid getting melee'd because we had issues with healer range when people ran in random directions...
    Uh I edited my post a few times if you didn't notice :P

But to answer your question, if that is the issue then you should probably have the dps run back and forth between 2 marks and stacking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelzeus View Post
    Our strat from a rageface perspective is to get him in crystal trap as soon as possible. We have markers for distance for tanks, and the dps are scattered along a line between the two markers.

We are working on awareness, where the traps spawn and communicating. Arcane mage is on rageface full-time and has no issues breaking face rage. mage is blinking and getting dog trapped, then upon breaking trap the passive aggro that has been difficult to kite so far. Do we need to spread further from the trapped dog? The one time I got passive aggro after trap broke, I ran through the boss along the line in order to stay in healing range, which has been an issue with people running out of the line, and was able to kite until the next facerage came. Many people died to the passive aggro and not getting heals. Should kiters be avoiding all damage or should the healers be keeping kiters up through damage?

Mage was unable to completely avoid melee damage while trying to find traps, is there a concise way for the mage to avoid damage other than iceblock? Can we stack in a way to have more predictable locations of crystal traps? they have been spread all over the place. If anyone knows specifically how to do the mage role in this strat, it would be useful. Also any input on passive aggro and handling that.

TL; DNR: Help with Rageface on Shannox, mage dying between traps, ranged dying to passive aggro.
    Why would you possibly have your dps in a line between the 2 tanks? That provides no benefit but causes issues with trap placement. Just have a loose spread around Shannox and your Riplimb tank/heals off in their own area. Having your mage, or any dps, on Rageface fulltime is unnecessary as well, since its easy to switch when he does facerage (IF all your people are in the same loose spread, then you won't be out of range of them). Having a loose spread in the same area also makes it easier to determine where crystal traps are and won't cause all your traps to be in a line, which makes things more difficult.

You can't expect your mage, or anyone that Rageface picks, to avoid melee damage. Healing through that is part of the fight. If, however, your mage or anyone else is taking damage from the immo traps then that is completely their fault and something that absolutely can and should be avoided. Same applies if people are getting caught in crystal traps themselves. As the fight progresses you will eventually find your area littered with traps which of course makes things that much harder. So as the traps begin to pile up you should move your positions. The way we do it is our two positions are south of the road, and when we get too many traps our tanks just move to the north side of the road, generally when we trap Rageface.

If you are not getting the stacks on Rageface reset after a trap then that means you aren't getting far enough away. It is everyone's job to get far enough away from the trap so that if he picks you then you can kite him away long enough to reset the stacks.

Our Shannox tank uses a 3 point marker path for tanking and dropping stacks. The riplimb tank is about 60 or so yards away from one of the sides of this triangle, with all ranged in between. I do the rageface kiting as a frost mage (deep freeze is amazing for it). Your mage just has to be constantly looking for where all the traps are. It really helps when people call out where crystal traps are. With our marker and tanking pattern, the melee usually just call out a marker that the trap is near. Our riplimb tank calls out when traps are near him as well. This all makes it very easy to know where the next trap is. We also have a rogue to disarm immolation traps near the shannox tank path.

Slightly before Rageface breaks out of a trap, we all move about 40 yards away (except the tanks of course, they don't get targeted), and I constantly call out who he is running towards, if he changes that target, and when his stacks fall off.

If rageface face rages your mage, either have him iceblock, or use blessing of protection. I usually use iceblock when rageface hits an immolation trap and is focusing on me, though. This prevents him from building up stacks for a while. If for some reason rageface focuses someone else before he can be frozen, that person should try to kite him into a prison trap.

It is important to remember that this fight is not a DPS race. It is all about communication between the rageface kiter and the rest of the raid. As a frost mage doing all this kiting, I only pull about 10-11k dps, but it guarantees our success.

Edit: Also, you should be able to trap rageface shortly after breaking face rage, every time that it happens.
    Last edited by LaughingMan; 2011-08-10 at 04:35 PM.

We have wiped 50 times or so on HM shannox. We have 2 kiters on rageface and everyone trapping if its on them but we have no rogues and our kiters are telling me they have to kite outside of the square but then they Range our healers and die.

I have no clue what to do. TBH 50 attempts and people still arent getting it. I know we shouldnt move on to Ryo without shannox down but really sigh.
    Last edited by Deathzero; 2011-08-10 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMan View Post
    Our Shannox tank uses a 3 point marker path for tanking and dropping stacks. The riplimb tank is about 60 or so yards away from one of the sides of this triangle, with all ranged in between. I do the rageface kiting as a frost mage (deep freeze is amazing for it). Your mage just has to be constantly looking for where all the traps are. It really helps when people call out where crystal traps are. With our marker and tanking pattern, the melee usually just call out a marker that the trap is near. Our riplimb tank calls out when traps are near him as well. This all makes it very easy to know where the next trap is. We also have a rogue to disarm immolation traps near the shannox tank path.

Slightly before Rageface breaks out of a trap, we all move about 40 yards away (except the tanks of course, they don't get targeted), and I constantly call out who he is running towards, if he changes that target, and when his stacks fall off.

If rageface face rages your mage, either have him iceblock, or use blessing of protection. I usually use iceblock when rageface hits an immolation trap and is focusing on me, though. This prevents him from building up stacks for a while. If for some reason rageface focuses someone else before he can be frozen, that person should try to kite him into a prison trap.

It is important to remember that this fight is not a DPS race. It is all about communication between the rageface kiter and the rest of the raid. As a frost mage doing all this kiting, I only pull about 10-11k dps, but it guarantees our success.

Edit: Also, you should be able to trap rageface shortly after breaking face rage, every time that it happens.
    good points.

is it 25m or 10m?

Quote Originally Posted by alexishomer View Post
    good points.

is it 25m or 10m?
    This is on 10m.

Deleted
    in your setup you should have the hunter kite rageface. when he casts rageface, hunter cancels it on max range and runs out with cheetah, when rage comes close use disengage with posthaste. if he reaches you use det or fd. he will then run back to the others. stacks should reset before he reaches the group even without trap.
    doing it that way you can have your arc mage slow riplimb whenever needed and your tank has twice as many traps for him.

Deleted