H-Rhyolith 10m Question

Right now my casual 10man(about 9hrs a week) guild is starting to progress on H-Rhyolith and I had a question.

Right now one of the melee is basically calling out which leg to get on but I was wondering if anyone else uses a simpler more effective strat that I'm just not thinking of?

We are also a 10 man casual guild that raids about 9 hours a week. We put 2.5 hours into Rhyolith last week and were able to push him to phase 2 a couple times. We have 3 Melee(2melee+1ospec tank) and 3 range. The Melee and Arcane Mage do most of the steering and the Range double dot the legs. The Hunter I think counter-steers when he has time to DPS the legs.

I also have a question about the fight for people that have more experience than I do.

Immolation. Does that do damage based on how close you are to Rhyolith(15 yards) or is it the Laser Light Show he shoots out of his body that does that damage?

Deleted
    1 Tank
    2 Heal
    7 DPS

3 Melee on legs, assign everyone to a specific leg with one or two floaters(one melee, one ranged) have one person do the calling, when he says 'Straighten it out' have everyone go on their specific legs, have the floaters go on what ever leg needs it. When he calls for a hard turn everyone should help on that leg.

Have your DPS multi dot both legs but make sure you do it evenly so it does not effect the steering. Ignore the little ads running into the boss, if you have a Boomkin have him typhoon them from time to time, same with ele shaman for thundershock but by no means is this needed or a priority.

When the spark comes out have your tank pull it out of raid and have ALL your ranged DPS switch to it and nuke it down before the next set of frags comes out so your tank can be free and pick up the frags easily, make sure the tank's always tanking the fragments underneath the legs and you have a couple of DPS assigned to AoE'ing them down, I personally as a DK struggle with the next set of frags after the set after the Spark because I have no DnD/runes so I have that next set MD'd to me then continue. Ignore the 4th spark I think, maybe the 5th and Hero/zerg down the boss.

Do not ignore volcanoes when zerging him down, make sure you still try to down any active volcanoes, when the next phase starts simply just zerg boss use raid cd's/personal cd's for stomps and enjoy your loot.

PROTIPS: If you have a holy Priest have him die at the start of the second phase so he can turret heal w/o worry of mana/dodging stuff. If you have a tree have him tree form at that phase seeing as it'll last the whole phase, additionally if you have a tree make sure he's hotting himself before channelling tranq as our tree died for a night straight because tranq wouldn't hit him and we didn't realise.
    Last edited by mmoccf43377b25; 2011-08-10 at 06:15 PM.

@OP, we have 1 dedicated DPS assigned to each leg (in our case, a Hunter and enhancement), and have a backup DPS to help us make bigger turns. When we need big turns, say for example right, we have the left leg guy switch to right as well with the backup. I don't see any better way than to have a driver call it out, if you have a ranged DPS assigned to driving, he/she might be able to have a better view of the whole platform if that's what you're wondering.

@Myrkur, Immolation does same damage no matter where you are (to be honest I wasn't aware of the 15 yard range). The main source of damage coming from the boss in P2 (not counting inactive volcano buff AND Superheated multipliers) is the stomps and the lasers. The Immolation just adds insult to injury.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

What's been working pretty well for my guild is having 1 dedicated melee dps on each leg, and 2 drivers with one of them (ranged) making the calls. This enables the drivers to continue dpsing when we need Rhyolith to go straight by splitting dps, as well as performing right/hard right/left/hard left turns.

You want your drivers to be non-dot classes of course, and having some burst damage helps for making quick corrections.

Quote Originally Posted by timoseewho View Post
    @OP, we have 1 dedicated DPS assigned to each leg (in our case, a Hunter and enhancement), and have a backup DPS to help us make bigger turns. When we need big turns, say for example right, we have the left leg guy switch to right as well with the backup. I don't see any better way than to have a driver call it out, if you have a ranged DPS assigned to driving, he/she might be able to have a better view of the whole platform if that's what you're wondering.

@Myrkur, Immolation does same damage no matter where you are (to be honest I wasn't aware of the 15 yard range). The main source of damage coming from the boss in P2 (not counting inactive volcano buff AND Superheated multipliers) is the stomps and the lasers. The Immolation just adds insult to injury.
    Do you know the source/spell name of the Lasers?

Quote Originally Posted by Myrkur View Post
    Do you know the source/spell name of the Lasers?
    They just come out of Lord Rhyolith's umm... back (up to 3-4 on 10, pretty sure, and hits 3-4 pretty much a few secs into P2). It's called 'Unleashed Flame'.
    Last edited by timoseewho; 2011-08-10 at 06:34 PM.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

Quote Originally Posted by Kassion View Post
    1 Tank
    2 Heal
    7 DPS

3 Melee on legs, assign everyone to a specific leg with one or two floaters(one melee, one ranged) have one person do the calling, when he says 'Straighten it out' have everyone go on their specific legs, have the floaters go on what ever leg needs it. When he calls for a hard turn everyone should help on that leg.

Have your DPS multi dot both legs but make sure you do it evenly so it does not effect the steering. Ignore the little ads running into the boss, if you have a Boomkin have him typhoon them from time to time, same with ele shaman for thundershock but by no means is this needed or a priority.

When the spark comes out have your tank pull it out of raid and have ALL your ranged DPS switch to it and nuke it down before the next set of frags comes out so your tank can be free and pick up the frags easily, make sure the tank's always tanking the fragments underneath the legs and you have a couple of DPS assigned to AoE'ing them down, I personally as a DK struggle with the next set of frags after the set after the Spark because I have no DnD/runes so I have that next set MD'd to me then continue. Ignore the 4th spark I think, maybe the 5th and Hero/zerg down the boss.

Do not ignore volcanoes when zerging him down, make sure you still try to down any active volcanoes, when the next phase starts simply just zerg boss use raid cd's/personal cd's for stomps and enjoy your loot.

PROTIPS: If you have a holy Priest have him die at the start of the second phase so he can turret heal w/o worry of mana/dodging stuff. If you have a tree have him tree form at that phase seeing as it'll last the whole phase, additionally if you have a tree make sure he's hotting himself before channelling tranq as our tree died for a night straight because tranq wouldn't hit him and we didn't realise.
    my guild pretty much does it the same way:

Prot Paladin
    Fury War (usually Off Tank) designated to 1 leg
    Combat Rogue floats between the legs
    Enhancement Shaman designated to 1 leg
    Elemental Shaman designated to 1 leg, Sparks
    Affliction Warlock designated to adds
    Arcane Mage designated to adds
    Shadow Priest designated to 1 leg, Sparks, floats to Fragments if ranged needs help
    Holy Paladin and Resto Druid are our healers

You pretty much just have to not get totally screwed with the volcano spawns, slow/knockback the oozes, have your ranged kill Sparks/Fragments rather quickly, all ranged switch when spark spawns and we have 2 dps designated to killing the fragments with 1 range dps floating if they need help, after you figure out the adds your dps on the legs just have to work on pushing him into Phase 2 before Superheated otherwise that first stomp will destroy you. Once you get to Phase 2 before superheated rotate you raid cooldown i.e. Prot Pally raid cooldown (dont remember the name), aura mastery, rallying cry etc. right before each stomp as well as personal defensive cooldowns and healthstones he will die just takes practice and execution.

Thanks guys. It seems we've been doing it the way everyone does.

We had DPS issues with only two DPS on the legs. We dropped a healer and went with 1 Tank and 2 Heals, having our Resto Druid go Feral. We had a total of three melee on the legs.

I wouldn't recommend ignoring the Obsidians. They're not a priority, but anything and everything you can do to slow them, knock them back, and ultimately kill them is a definite plus. Our Fury Warrior would continuously spread DoTs to them, our Rogue would FoK with Crippling Poison, and our Ele Shaman would knock them back on cooldown. We had our tank try to stack the Fragments on top of the Obsidians (essentially right on the boss) whenever a Spark wasn't up so our ranged would hit them with AoE as well. Whenever there was a larger clump, the Feral Druid would run out and spam swipe for a while.

Steering itself is very straightforward: just hit the leg that corresponds to the direction you want to turn him. He does start to respond more quickly as the fight goes on since he takes more damage as he loses stacks. He also tends to sort of freeze up and really not turn for a few seconds after hitting a volcano (can't remember if it's only active or inactive ones as well).

We had numerous wipes to terrible turns, late calls, misinterpreting a direction, etc. so we decided to stop calling everything but turns when we came to lava. It takes awhile to get comfortable with interpreting his turn bar. Having someone yelling RIGHT RIGHT RIGHT when he was straightening from a full left meter was not constructive.

We one shot him this week using our "amazingly innovative and never thought of before" strategy of 90% reliance on players' using their eyes and 10% on a "left or right at the lava" call.

We tried a couple of different strats before settling into one that has worked well for us the last two weeks. While previously we tried bringing fragments to the legs for cleaving, we noticed a lot of people were getting hit by magma flows during this period due to the clutter of all the extra nameplates. We remedied this by having our tank pull the fragments out of the way of the boss and assigning a single dps (myself, priest) to aoe down the adds while the other 6 dps were on legs. The tank and I managed to easily burn down the adds before a new set would spawn and it made the fight much easier for us. All ranged dps should switch to sparks asap to burn it down before the next wave of fragments, otherwise you're going to need tricks or md to manage it. We've killed the boss before superheated the last two weeks; it seems much simpler in hindsight.