Wanting some outside opinions on this build

Building it for my girlfriend. She mostly plays WoW. But once and awhile she something else.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kATQ

I'm most likely going to oc the pcu to 4.5, temps willing. I know the 212 evo will be enough.

Any suggestions? I might get a CM HAF 219 instead just for price. (case)

But let me hear it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    the 7850 is a better option then the 6950, and the i5-2500k is pretty expensive at that site. rest is good.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

10+ Year Old Account
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.05 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.77 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($217.55 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($162.98 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($77.17 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($93.20 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1018.68
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

1. Seagate HDD's are very bad, high chance of breaking down within the first 1-2 years.
    2. Picked a better PSU for you, I'd never recommend the Corsair Builder Series
    3. 7850 has more performance for less money
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
    the 7850 is a better option then the 6950, and the i5-2500k is pretty expensive at that site. rest is good.
    That's the cheapest I could find it from a retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.05 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.77 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($217.55 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($162.98 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($77.17 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($93.20 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1018.68
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

1. Seagate HDD's are very bad, high chance of breaking down within the first 1-2 years.
    2. Picked a better PSU for you, I'd never recommend the Corsair Builder Series
    3. 7850 has more performance for less money
    I actually had the WD HDD you picked out on there first. then I switched it to the seagate, for the price diff.
    I'd seen seagate recommended before, never dealt with them myself. But I'll take your word for it.
    Same with the corsair. I know they have some good parts. figured the PSU might be worth it.

But thank you guys on the input!! I'll check out the 7850 for sure.

I'm kinda a novice builder. So I need some fine tuning. But it at least looks like I'm on the right track!

Also! if anyone can point me at a cheaper i5 2500k. That would be wonderful. Even looking now, I can only find $209 to be the cheapest.

(hmm.... I had another post. It'll show eventually. Says it has to have mod approval. )

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the cheapest i5-2500k you'll get.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

I thought so. Jmacphee said that was expensive.

But the gist of my other post was.

I'll try out that 7850. I had the WD HDD you recommended. I switched to the other to save $20. and i knew corsair has some good products, figured their PSU would be good. Guess not.

I'm a novice builder. So I'm just looking for some footing in current parts.

And thanks!
    Last edited by Ravers; 2012-10-18 at 04:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never cheap out on the PSU, the builder series is known for coil whines & breaking down.

Armory

I'd get a bit more upto date than z68 and 2xxx core I series. Like z77 and core I 3xxx which really shouldnt fluctuate the price very much.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's not really a difference gaming wise.

Armory

I don't know why the HAF X is the go to case for most builds. It's not a quality case, it's not build friendly and it's larger then most builds need.

Anyways, I assume you meant CM HAF 912 when you said "I might get a CM HAF 219 instead just for price."
    Definitely a more appropriate case. Go for it and ditch the HAF X. However, it should be noted that with that setup, should you try adding a side panel fan you may run into issues with space when utilizing the CM Hyper 212 Evo in this particular case.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceG87 View Post
    I don't know why the HAF X is the go to case for most builds. It's not a quality case, it's not build friendly and it's larger then most builds need.

Anyways, I assume you meant CM HAF 912 when you said "I might get a CM HAF 219 instead just for price."
    Definitely a more appropriate case. Go for it and ditch the HAF X. However, it should be noted that with that setup, should you try adding a side panel fan you may run into issues with space when utilizing the CM Hyper 212 Evo in this particular case.
    the haf 912 is a decent case for the money..its pretty big but i would argue against it not being build friendly. super easy to work with. for an extra 20$ there are some really nice cases though.

edit: oops misread that:P yea the haf 912 is very nice for the money, i wouldnt go for the haf x. its effing huge.

well the 2500k must of went up, but just in case if you are located by a microcenter, they are 159.99$ and they might still even be running the 50$ off a z68 mobo when purchased together.
    Last edited by jmacphee9; 2012-10-18 at 04:36 PM.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    I'd get a bit more upto date than z68 and 2xxx core I series. Like z77 and core I 3xxx which really shouldnt fluctuate the price very much.
    the z68, price wise, for basic gaming is just fine. And with me overclocking the 2500k to probably 4.5ghz, it'll run a LOT cooler than ivy bridge. So i'd end up spending more on a cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG87 View Post

The HAF X case is the goto case because of the size. With GPU's getting bigger each year. not all cases can fit them in. Like the Radeon HD 5970 for example. Even in this huge case, it's got about half an inch of space between it, and the drive bays. Imagine shoving that in a case half that size. Also, if I put a few more fans in there. Temps would NEVER be a problem. And for people wanting liquid cooling. It's already got pre-drilled holes for the tubes to run.

Quote Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
    the haf 912 is a decent case for the money..its pretty big but i would argue against it not being build friendly. super easy to work with. for an extra 20$ there are some really nice cases though.

edit: oops misread that:P yea the haf 912 is very nice for the money, i wouldnt go for the haf x. its effing huge.

well the 2500k must of went up, but just in case if you are located by a microcenter, they are 159.99$ and they might still even be running the 50$ off a z68 mobo when purchased together.
    yes it is a nice case. My girlfriend doesn't realize how huge it is. I tried to explain to her the case is 30lbs on its own. But apparently it has the "its pretty though!!" factor... bah.

But no, there isn't a microcenter in town. i wish there were, I've seen alot of incredible deals for "in-store" only.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravers View Post
    The HAF X case is the goto case because of the size. With GPU's getting bigger each year. not all cases can fit them in. Like the Radeon HD 5970 for example. Even in this huge case, it's got about half an inch of space between it, and the drive bays. Imagine shoving that in a case half that size. Also, if I put a few more fans in there. Temps would NEVER be a problem. And for people wanting liquid cooling. It's already got pre-drilled holes for the tubes to run.
    Cases such as Fractal Arc Midi/Define R4 and Corsair cases have removable hard drive bays. The graphics card length is a non issue if you buy a Mid Tower that supports extended graphics cards. Newegg has videos for several popular cases that may show maximum graphics card length allowed in a specific case.

The 5970 was a $600 part since it was dual GPU, unless you're going to go all out on the graphics card, it should be a non issue for you. On the other hand, if your girlfriend likes the way the case looks, thats a legitimate reason for purchasing a specific case.

By the way, the HAF 922 is Mid Tower, $80 cheaper and looks very similar to the HAF X. It also has a red led fan in the front of the case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119197