Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

First computer build/did I do this right?

This is my first time building my own PC from scratch. I've been reading as much as I can after I get off work, and I think I have a fair handle on most of what I need to know. However, since this is my first attempt, I'm hesitant to just start ordering parts without some sort of verification. I'm trying to keep my system under the $800 USD mark as I have student loans to pay back soon (hate those...) and this will be my last fun purchase before I enter debt slavery. I'm building this machine to run WoW, and other subsequent MMOs for a few year, on high, if not ultra, graphics mode. I think I have accounted for everything as far as wattage, connection requirements, etc. goes, but again, I'm unsure. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MOBO
    P8Z68-V LE
    ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Processor
    BX80623I52500K
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Memory
    BL2KIT25664BA1339
    --Crucial Ballistix sport 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model

Video Card
    ENGTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5
    ASUS ENGTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Hard Drive
    WD5002AALX
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Optical Drive
    GH22NS50 Bulk
    LG DVD±RW SuperMulti Drive 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH22NS50 Bulk - OEM

Power Supply
    CXI-600B
    COOLMAX CXI-600B 600W ATX12V ATX 12V v2.2 SLI Certified / CrossFire Ready and Compatible with Core i3/i5/i7 Power Supply

10+ Year Old Account
    I would go with a beefier power supply, and you don't specify a case... The GTX560 is waaay overpowered for WoW tbh, and if you need to get some money back to allow for the case or power supply, you could drop down a tier or two on the graphics card (I have an i7 with GTX260 iirc - not at it atm - and that runs everything on ultra at monitor's native resolution 1920x1600).

I'm guessing you're carrying over keyboard, monitor and mouse from your old rig. Could you bring the optical drive too to save cash? How often do you use it? I only use mine for installing games and that's it (your mileage may vary).

Everything else looks okay though.

If I'm not mistaken, the power supply is extremely bad. The output reads +3.3V@30A, +5V@55A, +12V1@19A, +12V2@19A, -12V@1A, +5VSB@2.5A

As far as I know, you need a power supply with a single 12V rail because 19Amps is just not enough. I'm not sure what is the min req for the gtx 560 but one of those 2 psu are probably good enough http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817139028 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817139028

I checked more into it & the min req in power for the gtx 560 is "450 Watt or greater power supply (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amps.)" so basically the 1st PSU link I gave could most likely do the job since it has a single 12V rail of 40 Amps. Other than that all other pieces of your PC seems excellent. If you need more RAM in a few years you can always just add some more.
    Last edited by Madcaptn; 2011-08-12 at 02:34 AM.

Should get gskill ripjaws or crucial vengeance ram
    Don't get a 560 gpu, they're a bad deal... either upgrade to a 560ti or get a 6870. If you don't play graphics intensive games (WoW isn't graphics intensive) then you would be fine with a 6850.
    For the hdd you can probably save some money by getting a samsung spinpoint f3, it's just as good as the caviar black.
    Lastly the psu... should get a more reliable one... antec/corsair are both great.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371048 - antec 620w, single 48amp rail... only $50 with the rebate too. Great deal.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conzar View Post
    I'm guessing you're carrying over keyboard, monitor and mouse from your old rig. Could you bring the optical drive too to save cash? How often do you use it? I only use mine for installing games and that's it (your mileage may vary).
    Yes, I'm carrying over the monitor/mouse/keyboard, but I can't carry over the optical drive though. The last one is from a desktop before DVDs were out, and I've been on a laptop through the duration of college. The laptop filled its niche nicely, but now I have space for something bigger.

And what is the bum deal with the 560's? I must have missed something during reading, though admittedly, I have not delved quite as deep as I could (mostly due to work time constraint).

Thank you everyone for the help!

EDIT: You're right, I forgot the case. It got lost amidst my scribblings and notes.

Case
    RC-310-BWN1-GP
    COOLER MASTER Elite RC-310-BWN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Nothing terribly fancy, but nice to look at.
    Last edited by phear; 2011-08-12 at 03:25 AM.