Montage/Frag Movie Recording methods.

Hey.

I've been in to editing for a little while now and got quite good. But the only game I really have fun editing is Black Ops. I hate the game with a passion but on PC it's amazing to edit with because of the theater mode options. Free Roam camera and slowing down and recording at .2 speed then speeding it up in after effects offers some amazing slow motion. Not to mention being able to go in and edit just a small clip to Fraps is so convenient.

My question is, I want to start editing other games like soon BF3 and they will not have a theater mode and what methods do people use for capturing clips from games like that?

Do they just record the entire game and if it has some good clips they throw the entire game in a folder for later use?
    Do they record the entire match and then cut the clips out they need later and throw the rest away?

I'm curious so please let me know what you guys know.

I use fraps to record whole rounds when I feel on fire and I use Adobe Premier to edit when I'm actually making a movie.

Cutting rounds into clips is up to you and your editing style and what you're trying to do. Saving whole rounds in a folder for later could be taxing unless you have large storage. The raw Fraps videos you get from filming are quite large and take up a lot of space. Unless you have a ton of HD space, I would recommend against keeping entire matches in a folder. Edit/reformat that shit up prior to storage.

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    I use fraps to record whole rounds when I feel on fire and I use Adobe Premier to edit when I'm actually making a movie.

Cutting rounds into clips is up to you and your editing style and what you're trying to do. Saving whole rounds in a folder for later could be taxing unless you have large storage. The raw Fraps videos you get from filming are quite large and take up a lot of space. Unless you have a ton of HD space, I would recommend against keeping entire matches in a folder. Edit/reformat that shit up prior to storage.
    Yea I've made a few montages over my time and have 2 1.5TB spare external drives for movie storage.

Right now I'm just recording small clips from BO's theater mode, just wanted to see if methods have changed from before or not. Seems like they haven't. Thanks.