Thread: Computer sale

Computer sale

So there is a computer sale at harvey norman australia and im thinking it is a good time to buy a computer can i get an opinion on this computer please, how well would it run new games (like rift and the witcher 2, doesnt need to be ultra settings on the witcher 2 since even that game pushes high end computers) http://www.harveynorman.com.au/produ...n-dv-tx-laptop

i have also found this computer http://www.dell.com/au/p/xps-l502x/p...l_id=xps-l502x& which is 400$ off if i buy

EDIT: also as a comparison here is my current PC (its not very good)
    Brand: Asus
    Model: ASUS notebook serise k51AC
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) x2 dual-core (2 CPUs) QL-65 2.10 GHz
    System type: 32-bit operating system
    RAM: 3.4 GB
    Graphics card: ATI Radeon 3200 graphics

---------- Post added 2011-08-12 at 05:23 AM ----------

can anyone help please? sale ends in a few days and i need to make a decision
    Last edited by Bluey111; 2011-08-12 at 05:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have the cash I would definitely go for the Dell. I personally am a big supporter or nVidia vs ATi. Asus however, makes pretty quality laptops for a great price (thats what I use). If you don't have to get a laptop I'd recommend building a desktop. You can do it for a fraction of the price and get an awesome system! If it's solely those two, get the Dell, if you are open to other options, check out Asus laptops (their republic of gamers line is pretty good) and always read actual buyer reviews before you buy. There could be a bad batch or a recent string of recalls. Always check around for a good price, also! Also remember that a laptop is more expensive for comparable parts in a desktop, plus you frequently have a lot less flexibility to upgrade a laptop (you pretty much have to a buy a new one, or be stuck with old tech every few years).
    Last edited by Cavus; 2011-08-12 at 05:35 AM.

Proud Member of Respected and Despised (SWTOR USA PST Empire).
    Dark Days are Coming....

I can only speak from my exp with the HP-pavilion series , I have one for about 3 years now , never had a problem .... that is if you actually manage to install windows 7 and all the drivers (I managed but it was a BITCH to search for all the drivers for every component .... and NO , the drivers from the HP site weren't working .... I had to hunt them down by error messages and hardware ID) .... hopefully your comp comes with the proper drivers CD .
    After looking at the Dell specs , go for DELL if you have the money , but if you don't need a laptop that badly go buy yourself a very very good desktop .
    Last edited by wvx; 2011-08-12 at 05:40 AM.

The dell one is better... but not nearly $410 better. Either would handle those games on modest settings.
    If you're willing to spend as much as that dell costs then there are better options.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

ok thanks for the advice, i found a dell desktop http://www.dell.com/au/p/xps-8300/pd how is that for the price?

(doesnt come with a monitor though)

there is also this desktop http://www.harveynorman.com.au/produ...-desktop-tower
    Last edited by Bluey111; 2011-08-12 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey111 View Post
    ok thanks for the advice, i found a dell desktop http://www.dell.com/au/p/xps-8300/pd how is that for the price?

(doesnt come with a monitor though)

there is also this desktop http://www.harveynorman.com.au/produ...-desktop-tower
    Both of those are bad deals.
    If you want to get a desktop in australia the best bet afaik is techbuy.com.au... they give you true oem prices (like newegg but slightly higher since it's australia >_>) and will build it for you for $40 (comes with a labor warranty on the full computer too).
    I can link you a setup from there if you'd like, would give you much more power for the same price.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    The desktop you listed is the price for the minimum spec, in my opinion its too much money to spend on a desk top for minimum features. If you have around $1000.00 to spend on a computer, and you have a friend that is knowledgeable in hardware, you can build the 1500.00 priced computer for cheaper. I will always suggest building your own desktop over any laptop or pre-built desktop. As for laptop vs desktop, you always lose performance to gain mobility and the laptops that have high performance are usually double the cost of the desktop for slightly less than the performance of the desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    Both of those are bad deals.
    If you want to get a desktop in australia the best bet afaik is techbuy.com.au... they give you true oem prices (like newegg but slightly higher since it's australia >_>) and will build it for you for $40 (comes with a labor warranty on the full computer too).
    I can link you a setup from there if you'd like, would give you much more power for the same price.
    id love a setup if you could , price range is a max of 1300 aussie dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey111 View Post
    id love a setup if you could , price range is a max of 1300 aussie dollars
    kk gimme a few minutes and i'll put a good one together for you

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    kk gimme a few minutes and i'll put a good one together for you
    thanks man big help

Sub-Total: $1,203.05

This will obliterate any game you throw at it xD
    Includes operating system but not a monitor/keyboard/mouse since those are mostly personal preference
    It's going to feel like heaven after using that museum relic you're using now lmao
    I included an aftermarket cpu cooler so you can overclock the cpu... just make another thread here when your computer is setup if you're not sure how to overclock.
    edit: you should also overclock the gpu... 6950 can be taken from 800mhz all the way to 950mhz easily... huge performance boost.

The links on the list don't work so just copy and paste the "part #" into their search box and it'll take you right to each piece.
    Last edited by taekvideo; 2011-08-12 at 06:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you live in Australia and are looking for a new computer I highly suggest mwave.com.au (and use their custom computer setup). It's the best price to performance site. I get all my parts from that site. Harvey Normen and Officeworks are complete utter rip offs. They sell junk. Don't get sucked in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake5467 View Post
    If you live in Australia and are looking for a new computer I highly suggest mwave.com.au (and use their custom computer setup). It's the best price to performance site. I get all my parts from that site. Harvey Normen and Officeworks are complete utter rip offs. They sell junk. Don't get sucked in.
    that does look like a good site too... easier to use lol
    I built a nearly identical setup as the one i listed earlier.. came out to about the same price... they charge $100 for the setup fee but some of their parts are cheaper.

SKU: 99990148
    Mwave Custom Computer System
    • 16011184 X 1 - Antec Two Hundred V2 Tower Gaming Case - No Power Supply

• 19010218 X 1 - Intel Core i5 2500K Processor

• 28023475 X 1 - ASUS P8P67 LE B3 - ATX

• 37140823 X 1 - G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8GB(2x 4GB) Memory Kit

• 42060648 X 1 - Gigabyte Radeon HD 6950 OverClock - 1024MB 256-bit GDDR5 RAM

• 22040155 X 1 - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 - 1TB

• 17040381 X 1 - Samsung 22x DVD-RW SATA

• 34040708 X 1 - Corsair GS-600 Gaming Series 600W Power Supply

• 18020515 X 1 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Fan Cooler

• 39090362 X 1 - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - SP1 - 64-Bit

• 39113270 X 1 - Bioshock 2

• 61050008 X 1 - United Electrical Onsite Total Care - 1 Year Warranty

Sub Total Inc GST: $1,215.95