Thread: Alienware

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Alienware

Dispite the price, my dad said he would chip in most of it, if I bought it from Dell (as he has "connections" or somethingrather with them).

Anyway, how well will;

dell .com/au/p/alienware-aurora-r3/pd

(cant post links yet :/)
    run WoW? I might get 8gb ram, and 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 580 instead of the current one.

What do you reckon?

10+ Year Old Account
    Dell/Alienware are pretty overprice machines, but I'm not here to flame you for it.

And yes, that machine will run WoW in ultra at a very high frame-rate.

It will also be very capable of taking on much tougher games such as the upcoming Battlefield 3 with relative ease

Enjoy your monster machine.

Why are people buying ready made shit. In my country no1 would ever consider this.
    You want a PC, you getting each part alone, much cheaper and, well, better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velthy View Post
    Why are people buying ready made shit. In my country no1 would ever consider this.
    You want a PC, you getting each part alone, much cheaper and, well, better.
    Because unlike in Soviet Poland we have decent companies?
    Quote Originally Posted by sivenom View Post
    That's like saying I can put my graphics card in my dog's skull and she'll see everything in HD tri-color sparkles. Are you really saying we can upload Rebecca Black intot heir system and scramble their defense turrets? Maybe smack on a Java RNG program and cause their weapons to self destruct. Tell you what aliens, come at me! I know C++!! /endrant

It's semi-usable if you start from the $2900 version, change CPU to i7-2600K (non-overclocked) instead of standard i7-2600.

The $2300 version is complete rip-off with water cooled i5-2400 that can't even be overclocked high enough to require any special cooling... Don't bother with RAM, they're making a robbery with their upgrade prices. Just stick with the 6GB that it comes with, and upgrade it yourself later if you feel like it's not enough.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

lol wow they really are obscenely overpriced... never actually looked before >_>
    Like a 700% markup on ram i mean my god...
    It's not worth paying 4x the price just for a cool glow-in-the-dark alien picture on the side of your case... trust me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    It's semi-usable if you start from the $2900 version, change CPU to i7-2600K (non-overclocked) instead of standard i7-2600.

The $2300 version is complete rip-off with water cooled i5-2400 that can't even be overclocked high enough to require any special cooling... Don't bother with RAM, they're making a robbery with their upgrade prices. Just stick with the 6GB that it comes with, and upgrade it yourself later if you feel like it's not enough.
    Really... semi usable is the term your going to go with? You must be joking.

Btw, the OP is linking to the Australian site and we do get ripped off for parts here, everything is like twice the price as in america, GL finding a site that will let you import from the US. There are some international parts sites that do though, however, not the big ones, like newegg.

Quote Originally Posted by Riavan View Post
    The $2300 base is maybe $700-800 oem.. so semi-usable is a good term
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know he is right, OP can get the same specs for half the price

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    The $2300 base is maybe $700-800 oem.. so semi-usable is a good term
    You won't find that computer for under 1.4k in AUS, at least. There is a huge markup, but it's not as bad as you guys think it is. You don't know what parts/computers cost in AUS.

This is the link to the AMERICAN site, for that computer http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-aurora-r3/pd.aspx,
    it retails for 1.2k USD.

There are buisnesses that offer services, where you can get a US address and basically, you send it to them and then they send it to you. But I wouldn't be willing to do it with a 1k + computer, esp when you dont know what shipping agency they use etc and how well its looked after etc.
    Last edited by Riavan; 2011-08-12 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchType View Post
    Because unlike in Soviet Poland we have decent companies?
    Mean much? Its still stupid buying overpriced ready made PCs.

Putting things like multiplier locked i7-2600 and 2x2 + 2x1 GB old shit unsellable RAM sticks into so-called high end gaming computer is a fucking robbery. That's why it's semi-usable when you find out you can't overclock it, or have to throw out all existing memory sticks from the computer when upgrading because Dell used smallest possible RAMs they could scavenge from some fire sale. There are plenty of ways in which the computer is very overpriced and customer is paying for nothing or old junk.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Putting things like multiplier locked i7-2600 and 2x2 + 2x1 GB old shit unsellable RAM sticks into so-called high end gaming computer is a fucking robbery. That's why it's semi-usable when you find out you can't overclock it, or have to throw out all existing memory sticks from the computer when upgrading because Dell used smallest possible RAMs they could scavenge from some fire sale. There are plenty of ways in which the computer is very overpriced and customer is paying for nothing or old junk.
    it's not too bad for 1.2k USD, yes, its probably a few hundred overpriced, but I mean, you pay just as much for a shitty mac. Consider this in terms of pre-made large corporation computers and not making your own/buying the parts etc. I would never buy a pre-made computer myself, but realisticly, not everyone who plays computer games knows how to put a computer together or even wants to.
    Last edited by Riavan; 2011-08-12 at 08:33 AM.

it's not too bad for 1.2k USD, yes, its probably a few hundred overpriced, but I mean, you pay just as much for a shitty mac. Consider this in terms of pre-made large corporation computers and not making your own/buying the parts etc.
    lol a 1.2k USD pc with a i5-2300... makes me cringe.
    Wonder why the markup is even more painful in au... poor guys

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    lol a 1.2k USD pc with a i5-2300... makes me cringe.
    Wonder why the markup is even more painful in au... poor guys
    Don't know, it's just always been that way here. We get rocked hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have an aurora i bought a couple years back for a good price. i think it was $1300-$1400 somewhere in there. In the us.
    Its still working fine.
    But to all the people who say "Build your own", i'd just like to let you know that i'd gladly pay for the overpriced stuff if they're gonna do the legwork of getting the parts and putting it together for me. I could do it myself with parts i buy piece by piece, but yknow i just don't have the time nor am i willing to put in the effort to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaftyMcShaft View Post
    Metzen: Magic rainbow ponies.
    Developer 2: Brilliant.
    Metzen: That's why they pay me the big bucks.

Don't know, it's just always been that way here. We get rocked hard.
    It's not that bad on oem sites
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Computer-sale
    I posted builds from 2 au sites there... the prices are only slightly higher than oem prices in the US

@kolozaza
    you should look at those builds too... they're at least as good as the alienware if not better, and much cheaper.

---------- Post added 2011-08-12 at 03:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bailine57 View Post
    I have an aurora i bought a couple years back for a good price. i think it was $1300-$1400 somewhere in there. In the us.
    Its still working fine.
    But to all the people who say "Build your own", i'd just like to let you know that i'd gladly pay for the overpriced stuff if they're gonna do the legwork of getting the parts and putting it together for me. I could do it myself with parts i buy piece by piece, but yknow i just don't have the time nor am i willing to put in the effort to do it.
    In that case you buy from a site that lets you build your custom pc for OEM prices, and they put it together for you for a flat fee of $40-$100... most of them come with an added warranty on the system as a whole as well. You get the best of both worlds that way.

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    To the OP, I'm Australian too and I've been eyeing these for a while. It's better than your alienware, for slightly cheaper. http://www.nirv.com.au/selectprocat.php?baseid=17

Quote Originally Posted by Logiic View Post
    He can't use newegg in australia :P
    and you forgot a cpu cooler silly