Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    I'd run normal FL, no real point in not doing it, the gear is better, and it's current contenet, and there is no guarentee that you'll be more successful with heroic T11.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As many others have suggested, read up on class tips and raid strategy videos. More then likely, the low DPS is being made even worse but a lack of understanding the encounter. For range, it's pretty much a turret fight save for when Rage drops in to a crystal trap, at which point dot up or focus Shannox or Riplimb if within distance while Rage breaks free on his own to keep uptime.

Aside from having a crystal trap drop near you, range has little reason to move due to Rage having no aggro table and Rip running to designated areas to and from Shannox. For melee, it's even easier as long as you mage range Shannox so he isn't covering any crystal traps dropped near the tank.

We run shannox melee heavy and burn down Rage right off the fly. We drop two melee on shannox and I chase Rage around and feral charge + ravage whenever he does Face Rage and pop barkskin. Once he goes down, me and the range go on Rip and do the same and pull melee off Shannox at about 35% to bring down Rip. From there, our healers rorate their big CDs and it's win. I don't think anyone does less then 16k dps, even myself who spends a portion of the time chasing Rage and Rip and once we get to Shannox, it's over in no time.

You sound very patient so you will be very good at helping people get better, and like everyone has said avoid t11 heroics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by valenwood View Post
    Yeah, thanks. I think i will open up a "DPS Workshop" one raid night and just sit there on the target dummy. Its hard to do stuff like that without feeling like a douche-bag, I'm sure they get enough crap running pugs, they don't want it here, too. However, it has long been my opinion that, no matter how casual you are, you can spend time to learn about your class. Like many of you said, 30 mins in the EJ forums can stand to help a lot.
    There doesn't really need to be a dps workshop. Individuals have to take responsibility of themselves as well. Your boomkin for instance is still using hurricane. FL isn't really a place for you guys to be skimping with enchants. Especially one as good as PT. And have her purchase Darkmoon Card Volcano. It's her 2nd BiS. It beats the trinket off of Ragnaros for her, and beats everything except for Necromantic Focus. So NF, and DMV would be the trinkets for her to shoot for. Things like that are not going to solve your issues. But min/maxing is going to help. Most of the normal modes in Firelands are pretty easy. But you have to go in there with proper knowledge of your class, and have a strat.

Are they using proper addons? Using DBM? Dot trackers? Proc trackers? Macros? Focus targets? You can't teach people if they aren't willing to learn. So what you should do is tell everyone to start getting an understanding of their role and have them be able to blow their rotation with their eyes closed. Have them look at boss guides. Make sure they watched them, and make sure they understand. Ask them questions about the encounter. If they didn't comprehend the strat, you'll know.

It's obvious multitasking is an issue. Pulling extremely low dps is probably just being lost on what they're supposed to be doing during the encounter. Moving around too much, freaking out about making sure they aren't stepping in traps or hazards, etc.

Stood in the Fire Stealthedbear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you really can't go through T11 again and continue to get the group VPs
    If they have full T11 normal BIS and full VP gear and still can't then there are real problems.
    DPS workshop time should be a set time where you have everyone read EJ or what have you on their own class and fix their addons first, before you actually DPS on the dummy.
    Maybe set up a world of logs account, afterward you can see what they are doing wrong in a battle and try to help them fix it.

This is especially true for hunters, but it holds for all classes:

Execution of your rotation is MUCH MUCH more important than proper gemming / enchanting / reforging / even spec. These (exceptionally) low dps numbers are absolutely not a result of gear, or lack thereof. That's not to say neglect these things, but people just need to become absolutely comfortable with their proper rotation until it's essentially second nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Duskmoon View Post
    Hm, forget about T11 heroic modes, with your dps output they will be a hassle. Get Valor gear, BoE's and Occul'thar drops...fill out any blue slots remaining with Justice gear and farm Firelands reputation for more upgrades. You should be able to get it then, just don't get discouraged.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Since there is a belief that execution or lack of is playing a substantial part, particularly in the dps then I feel going back to t11 normal to nail problems in the easier content is the best approach before going into something deemed at least equally if not more difficult than the content you want to progress in.

Quote Originally Posted by valenwood View Post
    Yeah, thanks. I think i will open up a "DPS Workshop" one raid night and just sit there on the target dummy. Its hard to do stuff like that without feeling like a douche-bag, I'm sure they get enough crap running pugs, they don't want it here, too. However, it has long been my opinion that, no matter how casual you are, you can spend time to learn about your class. Like many of you said, 30 mins in the EJ forums can stand to help a lot.
    here on MMO you can get a guide for every class/spec, which is often more than enough to be up to (almost) date. No need for EJ in your situation. Create a discussion on vent on a raiding or off night. no need to be douchey. have some drinks, have fun, and share collective knowledge. set up addons as a group and make a small even out of it. do before/after contests with prizes etc.

once they get the spec, glyphs and reforge right, that'S a good start.
    after than, try to discover how many of them click/play with the stock UI and make sure they understand the adantages of keybinds/simple macros with key modifiers or simple addons to track their own buffs, dots, etc (forte exorcist, tellmewhen, poweraura(which you can easily find scripts for every spec on the internetz!, just copy/paste the string and you are set!), etc)

making use of every mouse button is something most ppls dont think about. the scroll wheel (up and down) can be used to spam your main ability instead of zooming the map ( o.O ) and, most of them have a middle click on that same scroll, or even a left and right scroll click. if they happen to have buttons elsewhere, using them ensures that you can almost maintain a full rotation, on the move, without clicking anywhere in your UI.

for healers, either the addon "clique" or mouse over macros are a "must"

you can probably sqeeze 5k dps out of everyone just doing that.

i know its hard to convince "casuals" that putting just a little more effort will, in fact, reduce the amount of time they need to put, in game, to accomplish the same goals. For a lot of them, research is a waste of time. Try to make them understand that, in fact, it is the opposite. that little min/maxing/research you do makes you a lot more effective, hence you are able to accomplish more in game in less time. that extra time can then be spent anywhere else other than wiping on the same boss for hours (like with family , etc)
    Last edited by Morggane; 2011-08-13 at 06:57 AM.

Deleted
    11-13k DPS? Thats your problem :|

10+ Year Old Account
    Forget about gear, get your *raiders* to learn their classes and how to spam their keybinds.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

This is especially true for hunters, but it holds for all classes:

Execution of your rotation is MUCH MUCH more important than proper gemming / enchanting / reforging / even spec. These (exceptionally) low dps numbers are absolutely not a result of gear, or lack thereof. That's not to say neglect these things, but people just need to become absolutely comfortable with their proper rotation until it's essentially second nature.
    As you said, this is true for ALL classes. Better gear won't make them do more dps, it will just make it a bit less shit. Although, still very shit.

1st, make them learn their class and abilites inside out, so good that they always top dps in BH pugs. Then you can start wondering about gear.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory