Deleted

Prot Mastery - Have I gone too far?

eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Malcador/advanced - I main tank for a 6/7 normal 10m team.

I'll be the first to admit that number crunching and simcraft aren't my strong points, and Rawr goes straight over my head in terms of complexity.

My issue is simply this: Have I delved too deep into the mastery stacking philosophy? I've just hit the block cap with the addition of the T12 legs (and with a little help from Lavascale Minestrone) but have had to gem almost exclusively for mastery and use two mastery trinkets (though I also have Scales of Life available). The main drawback from this is my health pool is...tiny. Be it through other tanks' ignorance towards mastery or just the general view that more stamina is best, I feel as though I might have made a bad choice.

Can stacking mastery to the block cap at the expense of everything else affect my survivability? My threat is fine, but my health pool is a worry, particularly for unavoidable magic damage etc.

worldoflogs.com/reports/lseknv19ru2o7sse/ - A log from my last raid, when I was rocking ~100% avoidance, just short of the block cap.

Sorry for what may be a slightly haphazard post, I'm still half asleep. Any advice on the topic would be welcome though.

if you can lose ~10k health for block cap, go for it..

if you have to gem 100% fractured amberjewels for the cap, probably not quiet ready for the transition

I say go for it, and when you next get some upgrade start gemming blue sockets with stamina/mastery gems if you feel that your health pool is too small.

Deleted
    Your raidbuffed health should be around 175k with your Equip.
    Why do you call this "tiny"?
    You didn't even gem for pure mastery, but took your bonuses.
    So: everything's fine.

^ what envar said.

What unavoidable magic damage are you concerned with? If you are concerned about it with 170k health (what chardev puts you at w/ raid buffs), the extra 10k-ish health you would get from a stamina trinket isn't going to make or break you. (not to mention the near-useless on-use effect of Scales of Life)

I'd say go CTC all the way, health will come with gear.

Practically the exact same gear I'm wearing. I feel damn near invincible when block capped, do you somehow feel squishy?

10+ Year Old Account
    No need for a large health pool when you will not take unmitigated hits. 100k melee swings will only ever hit you for about 68k after block/armor if they hit you at all and it would take at least 3 in a row for you to die. Meaning your healers would let you go upwards of 8 seconds without a heal. if you had 205k hp you might survive those 3 hits or you might die to 2 hits because you did not block one of them. As for magical damage. It is almost always predictable either by coming in steady pulses or on a timer. The large ones on a timer can generally be cooldowned though.

Deleted
    Thanks for replies guys. No I don't feel particularly squishy but my guild is working on Rag at the moment and fire damage from traps etc obviously can't be mitigated with block ( though Mirror and other cooldowns cover this to some extent). As you say, with raid buffs etc my health pool rises a fair bit, but I rarely, if ever see tanks with my gear level with as little stamina as me. As you've all agreed that's not much of a problem I won't be worrying as much about it from now on.

Thanks again guys, I feel suitably reassured

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely all good dude, I sometimes respec to tank Raggy in gear worse than yours if our MT is away

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zabuzan View Post
    Definitely all good dude, I sometimes respec to tank Raggy in gear worse than yours if our MT is away
    But i think especially for rag you shouldn't go below 175k if you have to tank while running and seed explosions.

Deleted
    You can always equip a stam trinket for fights with high magic damage such as Rag, or just stay block caped and focus on timing your CDs and WoGs as well as you can. I think you're fine, being block caped will make you a easier to heal. Don't be afraid to give up that ~5% block though for the Scales of Life if the fight warrants it.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    You can always equip a stam trinket for fights with high magic damage such as Rag, or just stay block caped and focus on timing your CDs and WoGs as well as you can. I think you're fine, being block caped will make you a easier to heal. Don't be afraid to give up that ~5% block though for the Scales of Life if the fight warrants it.
    this... save the scales for fights that you need it on... also, if you need more mastery (you shouldn't need too much at your gear level) and your health is fine, you can actually use the str/mastery helm enchant :P

btw, I play a warrior and am very jealous of your gear
    Oh yes, there is a method to my madness O.o
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We generally consider 0 / 0 / 71 builds to be a failure.
    ^win

Quote Originally Posted by niai View Post
    But i think especially for rag you shouldn't go below 175k if you have to tank while running and seed explosions.
    I think our off-tank still had heroic dungeon gear and ~85% CTC when we killed Rag for the first time. N-Rag doesn't hit that hard on a Paladin; DKs are a different story. :P
    And you obviously use a short cooldown like DP when moving in P2; block capped or not.

From a healers viewpoint, you're definately fine. It's my job to be prepared for unavoidable magic damage, its your job to make sure that the physical damage doesn't jump all over the place causing me to waste that cd I was hangin' onto for that unavoidable magic damage. Keep your mastery and you'll keep your healers happy

Also, from a pally healer's veiwpoint, a lower health pool with more mastery on your end means it's easier for me to overheal and proc absorb shields on my end.
    Last edited by mongoose6; 2011-08-15 at 06:21 PM.