Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Arrow Help Please: HOLY PRIEST for 10 man Firelands - what to stack?

    Totally confused about which stats to go for.

    Mastery - seems kind of crap, because the ticks from it are way too small. I would rather the AOE heals hit for more (for quick burst healing) , that tick with crap. But every guide says not to take +crit.

    Haste - not sure what it's good for. I rarely use Renew and Heal. (Most of the time CoH, PoH, Pom, Flash/Greater Heal)

    Crit - everyone suggest to stay away from it, but I love huge Flash/Greater Heal, CoH, PoH crits. I feel they are really needed, because there are many situations where you need to get someone up REALLY fast (situations where Echo of Light ticks don't matter).

    So my stats:

    Spell Power 7024
    Spirit: 2566
    Haste 5.69%
    Crit 13.74%
    Mastery 14.25


    Keep in mind this is for 10 mans, where I have to help on tanks too.

  2. #2
    The Patient Scarlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    210
    Haste is awesome, not only for faster ticks, but also for faster casting speed. You'll get those heals off faster.
    Crit is the worse stat. Sure, it's nice to crit heal, but crit is based on percentage, so it's never a safe thing to count on.
    The best thing is without a doubt to gem intellect, and reforge to spirit > Haste or mastery.
    Mastery is actually quite nice aswell. Especially if you're raid healing. Sure, one tick isn't that much. But when they're ticking on 10, 15, 20 or 25 players, it really adds up quite good.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlot View Post
    Mastery is actually quite nice aswell. Especially if you're raid healing. Sure, one tick isn't that much. But when they're ticking on 10, 15, 20 or 25 players, it really adds up quite good.
    Healing only 10 mans.
    Those ticks don't mean anything because when all healers go into AOE heal mode, people are topped off within 2-3 seconds. And those shitty tics that heal for like 3k extra over 6sec are useless. I need powerfull bursts of CoH + PoH.

    Echo of Light ticks may look good on healing meters, but they surely don't keep people alive.

  4. #4
    http://manaflask.com/narilka/blog/5949/

    I've been following that guide and I've seen a good amount of improvement. Check it out

    It's a non-renew spec. She writes it for 25man mainly, but I raid 10man and works fine as well for me.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewbacca View Post
    Totally confused about which stats to go for.
    Are you doing just heroics or are you raiding 10 / 25 content?


    Mastery - seems kind of crap, because the ticks from it are way too small. I would rather the AOE heals hit for more (for quick burst healing) , that tick with crap. But every guide says not to take +crit.
    The HoT ticks every 1 second, and is the healing equivalent of a Fire Mage's Ignite DoTs.
    Every time you heal, the HoT adjusts on the fly getting bigger or smaller depending on what your healing history on that target is. It's quite good as a stat if you don't overheal much. Dare I say *very* good b/c it's guaranteed extra free healing from pretty much everything you do (except Renew ticks).


    Haste - not sure what it's good for. I rarely use Renew and Heal. (Most of the time CoH, PoH, Pom, Flash/Greater Heal)
    It's good to have at least around 10% with raid buffs as it allows you to respond quicker to incoming damage.
    You can stack this stat to great effect, PoH scales very well with it, but be aware you are spending mana quicker. Haste is considered the go to stat for 25 mans as it allows you to PoH groups quicker.


    Crit - everyone suggest to stay away from it, but I love huge Flash/Greater Heal, CoH, PoH crits. I feel they are really needed, because there are many situations where you need to get someone up REALLY fast (situations where Echo of Light ticks don't matter).
    It's iffy to stack this as a healer in general b/c crits are not guaranteed and RNG can heavily favor or disfavor you. A good attitude is to leave wiggle room in your healing targets to make room for crits when they do happen, but you can't depend on them.

    And I love crits as well. It's pretty easy to cheese your crit up there when in Serenity chakra even if you gear isn't crit heavy due to the Chakra itself and Holy Word's increasing crit chance on your target even further. If you focus on a tank, you can get upwards of about ~40% crit rate, which is damn sexy.




    So my stats:

    Spell Power 7024
    Spirit: 2566
    Haste 5.69%
    Crit 13.74%
    Mastery 14.25


    Keep in mind this is for 10 mans, where I have to help on tanks too.
    Ahah!

    I suggest trying a very Mastery heavy build for a week. It works really well for tank healing, as the added EoL on top of Renew and nice crits from holy word uptime synergizes real well. Haste tends to not work as well in a 10 man as it does in 25, imo, b/c you can dig yourself into a corner ooming yourself too quickly and especially tank healing that can be bad.

    I mostly heal in Serenity Chakra, and depending on the phase or some specific fights, swap to Sanctuary for some nice AoE HPS
    Last edited by Themos; 2011-08-13 at 07:22 PM.

  6. #6
    Mechagnome Syenite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Just next to some house...
    Posts
    504
    Respec disc, there is hardly any reason to take a holy priest in 10 man.

  7. #7
    Fluffy Kitten Ultima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    3,198
    Holy Raiding Guide, 4.2: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/943690-Priest-Holy-Raiding-Guide-(4.2)


    1. What's all this nonsense about Haste vs. Mastery


    Let's start out with what Haste does for you:

    • Increases your spell casting speed
    • Decreases your global cooldown (GCD)



    "But if I cast faster doesn't that mean I cast more spells and thus I will go out of mana faster?!" - Priest


    Yes and no. Haste is extremely beneficial in many, many situations. The #1 benefit of Haste is saving people's lives. Yes, 0.1 second can really mean the difference between life and death. I'm sure you've all been in that situation of "my heal was a fraction of a second from going off!" when discussing why a tank/player perished.


    Also, generally raid damage comes in waves: burst -> lull -> burst. Therefore you are not spam casting non-stop (at least in most situations) and thus you are getting pure gain from being able to get your heals off faster and everyone stabilized before the next burst. Haste is considered to provide purely an HPS (heal per second) increase.


    Now let's shift our focus to what Mastery does for you:

    • Your direct healing spells heal for an additional percent over 6 sec. Each point of Mastery provides an additional 1.25% of healing over 6 sec.

    So what does this mean? It means that when you cast Prayer of Healing on a group and you are hitting all 5 players in the group you are healing them for: direct PoH heal, Glyph of PoH (assuming you have it, which you should!), and then another HoT, Echo of Light.


    Mastery proves to be useful in instances where the entire raid takes massive amounts of damage and your EoL will have the ability to fully tick 6 sec. with little to no overheal. It's also very important to keep in mind that the more Mastery you have, the bigger each tick from EoL becomes. So even if you are consistently seeing 30% overheal on your EoL as your Mastery increases, this is okay. By each tick hitting for more you are essentially saving more lives because you are filling up that HP bar much faster. Mastery provides an increase in HPM (heal per mana) and HPS.


    "Okay I understand all of that but how does it apply to me? Which stat should I choose? Should I mix them together or just stack one?" - Priest

    There's no right or wrong answer here, unfortunately. I wish it was as bread and butter as some other classes/specs, but it's not. I will, however, provide some guidelines to help you make the best choice for certain thresholds.

    I heal in the Arena
    Retired Moderator - Priest and PvP
    You can follow me @UltimaMMO_C

  8. #8
    The Patient Scarlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewbacca View Post
    Healing only 10 mans.
    Those ticks don't mean anything because when all healers go into AOE heal mode, people are topped off within 2-3 seconds. And those shitty tics that heal for like 3k extra over 6sec are useless. I need powerfull bursts of CoH + PoH.

    Echo of Light ticks may look good on healing meters, but they surely don't keep people alive.
    Looks like you already made up your mind. Why even post this thread?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Syenite View Post
    Respec disc, there is hardly any reason to take a holy priest in 10 man.
    Hmm, is this true? Can anyone confirm?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewbacca View Post
    Hmm, is this true? Can anyone confirm?
    It depends on your healing comp. Barrier can be very useful when there are no other available raid CDs.

  11. #11
    Originally Posted by Syenite
    Respec disc, there is hardly any reason to take a holy priest in 10 man.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jewbacca View Post
    Hmm, is this true? Can anyone confirm?
    I disagree, I'm usually top healer in a 10man in mediocre gear with a druid and hpally.. assuming you're raid healing. I only focus with, PoM, CoH, PoH and sometimes getting 2 stacks of Serendipity for PoH.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewbacca View Post
    Healing only 10 mans.
    Those ticks don't mean anything because when all healers go into AOE heal mode, people are topped off within 2-3 seconds. And those shitty tics that heal for like 3k extra over 6sec are useless. I need powerfull bursts of CoH + PoH.

    Echo of Light ticks may look good on healing meters, but they surely don't keep people alive.
    If your healers are that good at topping people off get haste I guess. Disc does seem to be better overall, but if your raid has enough cds for say, domo, then holy does just fine.

  13. #13
    If people are being topped off that quickly, you should drop down to 2 healers for those fights.

    I assume this is of course normal modes.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Syenite View Post
    Respec disc, there is hardly any reason to take a holy priest in 10 man.
    Agreed. Especially if you have a resto druid. 25s and 10s are not the same. Disc much more effective healing in 10. DA works with other healers, especially druid hots.

  15. #15
    Holy works perfectly fine with a resto druid, hell I heal with 2 of them on the 3 healer fights sometimes.
    You know what works with druid HoTs? EoL

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewbacca View Post
    Totally confused about which stats to go for.
    Both haste, mastery or combinations of the two works. Which to chose depends on healing style.. or a coin toss. Do what you want.

    Mastery is good if you like/need the extra HPS, and as Themos says, it complements a druid well as you enhance their hots. The mastery gear will allow your Echoes of Light to heal for quite notable amounts, and on many fights this is very good (majordomo, f.ex). On other fights, it is not so useful (f.ex shannox). You will never quite be a druid even while stacking mastery, but if HPS is your game, then mastery is the stat you should go for.

    Haste is good if you like landing heals "just in time", or if you just don't have the 0.01 split second reaction time due to net lag and/or mental age. Haste complements a druid well too, as it covers healing needs that a druid isn't necessarily happy doing, namely spot healing. With Haste you will be able to land heals faster, and thus prevent more deaths. In the long run this is very notable, and you will avoid having to hate yourself for landing that Flash heal 0.1 seconds too late. The downside is a notable increase in mana usage if you keep on spamming heals.

    A combination build going for both stats is actually working out pretty well too. A holypriest is ultimately the "gap filler" healer, and going for a general gear setup enhances the idea of having few weaknesses.

    Crit isn't a horrible stat, but as the healing guide says, it's point-by-point more expensive, and you really only need crit when tankhealing. And Serenity gives you all the crit you need for that. I usually avoid gear with crit on it.

    That said - it sounds like you have already decided. Go for it.

  17. #17
    Fluffy Kitten Lohe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,404
    Unless you lack a solid raid healer (as in, an rdruid) there's no reason to play holy in 10man.

  18. #18
    I try and gear my self around Regen, haste, mastery.

    I aim for my haste to hit 2.0 sec cast on Gheal/Heal. You need 1632 haste rating to get this. 1632 with Darkeness 3/3 doesn't make a Gheal cast 2.0 sec but makes a gheal cast at 2.0 with raid buffs (5% haste from spriest.)

    Once done with that I stack mastery. I chose haste to my personal soft cap because healing tends to revolve around POH/Gheal/Heal cast, all of which (with 1632 haste) cast at base 2.0 secs. Once I hit this point I go to straight Mastery. I sacrificed mastery to get my haste levels, but most of the holy priest mastery is overheal. Most logs show Echo of light being 25+% over heal. So cutting back a bit won't really hurt, and casting a bit faster will offset the lack of mastery.

    Once I get additonal upgrades I can swap haste gems for mastery, and haste enchants for intellect.

    I know I'm rambling on, so I'll cut to the chase. Choose a cast time you want for POH/Gheal/heal, reach it than stack mastery. Don't go overboard, there is a fine balance.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    Unless you lack a solid raid healer (as in, an rdruid) there's no reason to play holy in 10man.
    Why? Why? Why do people SAY this?

    Does not having a Druid make Discipline somehow unable to raid-heal? Because it is more than capable of filling that role too. If you're two healing with a Druid, you go Discipline. If you're three healing with a Druid, you go Discipline. If you're three healing without a Druid, you go Discipline.

    If you're two healing with a Paladin, Shaman, or Holy Priest, you go Discipline.

    Discipline is the superior spec at the moment, because Aegis outweighs Echo, and Barrier is overpowered. Circle of Healing just isn't enough to make the difference anymore. I want to know who started this "If you have a Druid" nonsense, and slap him, because it's quite frankly insulting to anyone's intelligence.

    Not to mention that Holy still can hold itself strong in both 10s and 25s, normals and heroics. Two healing with a Druid as Holy? Let the Druid tank heal, you run assist and be prepared to spend a lot of time in Serenity.

    Edit: Back on topic, Jewbacca sounds like he already made his mind up about stats, so... why the thread?
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2011-08-13 at 10:55 PM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  20. #20
    Fluffy Kitten Lohe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Why? Why? Why do people SAY this?
    Because in a 10man you can't always organize the raid in a fashion that allows PoH to be fully effective and CoH becomes more vaulable.
    Also, if you do not have an rdruid and we're not talking of those bosses that are done with 2 healers the other healers will be a combination
    of disc, rsham and hpala. Holy fills an aoe healing role better in 10man than those specs because the rshaman aoe heals suffer so much from
    having people more spread out. This means that the other healers will prefer to do mainly tank healing leaving the priest to pick whatever
    spec that does best in what remains to be done.

    You seem to think I disagree about disc being the better spec, this is simply not the case and I've said no such thing. All I said was that
    holy has no benefit over disc when there's an rdruid because they already provide the only thing holy has over disc.
    Last edited by Lohe; 2011-08-13 at 11:26 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •