10+ Year Old Account

Question Laptop Graphics card

I want a new graphics card for my computer, but I have a laptop. I was told that it's really difficult to upgrade laptop graphics cards. How true is this? Would it be worth upgrading if it is even possible? I would hope to spend no more than $250.

Operating System:
    Windows 2.6.0.6002 (Service Pack 2)
    CPU Type:
    Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz
    CPU Speed:
    2.12 GHz
    System Memory:
    1.98 GB
    Video Card Model:
    NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M

It's very difficult to impossible to upgrade laptop graphics cards.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Not worth the hassle.

10+ Year Old Account
    better buying a desktop i have no idea why people play wow, or even games for that matter, on a laptop.
    1/3 GM of Valar Morghulis Horde Torrent Mill EU

Quote Originally Posted by Romulan1993 View Post
    better buying a desktop i have no idea why people play wow, or even games for that matter, on a laptop.
    Some people are spaceconfined, as they live in a one-room apartment?

Quote Originally Posted by Romulan1993 View Post
    not everyone can afford a desktop/ have the room
    can you see your house from your high horse?

OT: I do think it would be best to upgrade to a better laptop though
    i bought an alienware mx11 recently and its a perfect blend of mobility and power, and decently cheap.

to clarify, i have no need for amazing graphics, just as long as the game runs smoothly.
    Last edited by DerpderpHAMMA; 2011-08-13 at 09:04 PM.

All credit for this sig goes to JustintimeSS

Quote Originally Posted by DerpderpHAMMA View Post
    not everyone can afford a desktop/ have the room
    can you see your house from your high horse?

Hmmmmmmm laptops are more expensive if you want the same performance as a desktop can get.. All I could suggest is that you design the laptop urself (or desktop for that matter)

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DerpderpHAMMA View Post
    not everyone can afford a desktop
    Generally the equivalent spec for spec system will be less expensive as a desktop and last you longer due to use.

However space is always a concern and mobility is always a factor.

Back on topic, while it is possible to replace the GPU in a laptop it is simple to say that if you have to ask if you can you lack the technical knowledge to do the job. With that in mind the cost of the GPU + paying someone to do the task you're better off A) sucking it up and using what you have B) New laptop (Spend time searching through them. I spent a month researching my laptop purchase and in turn have been able to use it for going on 5 years this October.).

Most laptops you cannot replace the GPU in, it's usually only the high end gaming laptops that have the ability to change them.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

99.9% positive its a built in card, and hence unchangeable (unless you wanna swap out mobos).

never ever buy a laptop for gaming.

desktops are always 25-70% cheaper then a laptop of the same specifications (even cheaper if you part it out and build it yourself through newegg or something similar)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Some people are spaceconfined, as they live in a one-room apartment?
    Or are students and have to have a laptop for studies but don't have the money to buy a gaming PC on top.

That being said, it's rather easy to pick up a decent gaming laptop for 500-600 euro.

Also, can you post the full name and model of your laptop? It's a lot more informative than just naked specs.
    Last edited by mmoc485edc1e5f; 2011-08-13 at 09:31 PM.

It is probably an integrated card. And in this situation you would be shit out of luck. I made sure to have a dedicated card in the recent laptop I purchased. It runs WOW flawlessly and it is nice to not have to be forced into my room to use my pc for gaming all the time. Even if it is a boss rig :P

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Save more money and buy a new laptop.

@myhv - Yes my new laptop was only 590 US dollars. Found a great deal on techbargains.com. A great site if anyone hasn't checked it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by myhv View Post
    Also, can you post the full name and model of your laptop? It's a lot more informative than just naked specs.
    Lenovo, Thinkpad T61.

Deleted
    Well, to replace a GPU on T61 you need to get another card that will fit in and need to be able to solder well. Otherwise it's not recommended and may cause permanent damage.