Thread: faster pc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    If there were any special secrets to make really old computers viable, we'd all be sitting on Pentium IIs.

What does work, is throwing money at it. Or preferably, another computer altogether.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magekid View Post
    Mod Warning: Okay, calm down guys...

@Cuzzin, You knew the pc was old. We're only confirming this and telling you there's no simple solution *poof* just like that. What did you expect when posting here? There's no magic trick to make it work again.

like i said im not computer smart guy i knew this one guy that fixed some worm thing over the phone told me how in like 5 mins my computer was soo jacked i couldnt do anything but turnm it on and off. soooo for all i know there is some poof trick. sorry im not as computer literate as you guys are i didnt grow up with these things and personaaly could never afford one but thats neither here nore there so im sorry i offended so many of yall by askin my questions i thought they were resonable questions

---------- Post added 2011-08-14 at 09:00 PM ----------

sorry i typed something twice on here

---------- Post added 2011-08-14 at 09:02 PM ----------

not true my 2001 mazda tribute is still viable yet if i could wouldnt i go buy a brand new lexus

I think the the best thing you can do at this point is donate it to a thrift store so someones grandma can have a $5 email machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzin View Post
    not true my 2001 mazda tribute is still viable yet if i could wouldnt i go buy a brand new lexus
    The problem with that analogy is that the need for the car is still the same.

It's not like the roads have been upgraded during all this time to be more demanding, making your old car struggle to go along. Software changes along with hardware, just a bit behind, to make sure that more people can enjoy it, cycling the people whom need to upgrade.

well think of it this way...

your car is viable to simple car tasks such as driving to work or to the store, just like your computer is fine for any simple computing task you would do on it (surfing, typing, etc.)

but expecting to do something that pushes your computer to its max and an not expecting it to run without any problems or it to slow deteriorate while you do it is like taking your Mazda rally racing everyday and wondering why you arent winning, then being surprised when it breaks.

We all gave you advice. Reformat. Also please stop acting like you are five.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    It's an Inspiron 530. Literally;

Honestly, with a 5+ year old system that was using a "value" chip even back then, there's not much that can be done, and certainly nothing "free" that will make it faster, simply because it's well past what would be considered "gaming suitable", if it was even classified as such in the first place.
    I don't see how old the PC has to do with anything. He asked (simplified) "How do I get my PC running quick as it was when I first upgraded to windows 7"
    So, his PC was running FASTER when he first upgraded to W7, and now it slowed down. Hes asking for tips to speed it back up to how it was before.

He never asked "how do I get my PC running 60 FPS on ultra" he just wants to know how to speed it up anyway possible. I understand its an old PC, but the age of the PC has nothing to do with the question at hand. Instead of telling him that his PC was old and there is nothing he can do (which is a lie), I opted to help him out instead and give him a free tip to 'maybe' speed up his PC a bit.

Cuzzin:

Yes, your PC is old, and because it was a value PC it will start to degrade faster over time, and after 5 years, its not going to run the same as when you got it.
    That being said, there are things you can do to help.

• Over time your Hard drive can get fragmented. This means that instead of your files being saved to hard drive in 1 single line (So your hard drive can get the files quicker and easier) they start to get split up into parts around the disc (So you hard drive has to find multiple parts for a single file). This makes your hard drive have to work harder to do the same tasks, which means things go slower. What you can do to fix this is to do a Disc Defragment [Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disc Defragmenter]. Or you can simply go Start and type in Defrag to search for it. Once open select your main drive and click on the Defrag button, then wait until it is complete.
    • Again, overtime your PCs main hard drive will start to fill up with files if you don't keep it controlled (I am guessing you have not). Not only does this aid to fragmentation, but your hard drive has more files to control and thus it will start to slow down. I find if I have a hard drive full of stuff it will go a lot slower than when its a fresh windows install. You can try to help this by going to [Start->Control Panel->Programs and Features]. Here it will display all of the programs you have installed. Take a look through this and find any programs you do not want (Toolbars, unused programs, etc), and remove them. Be careful not to remove anything that you are not sure of, its better to be safe than sorry.
    • Similar to the above point - Windows has a PC cleaning program. [Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Cleanup]. Run this, and follow the steps provided. '
    • Now inside your PC. A heatsink is big piece of metal with fins on it. Its job is to absorb the heat from your processor so it doesn't overheat. There is a fan above it (the black one facing into the motherboard), the fan will blow air through the fins and try to remove the heat from the heatsink so it can pick-up more heat from the processor etc.. The problem with heatsinks is the fans are constantly blowing air through the fins, overtime it will start to pick-up a layer of dust. Over more and more time the dust will start to block up the gap between the fins meaning that no air will be able to go through and therefore less heat will be removed from your processor. Unplug your PC and have a look inside and try and find what I am talking about. You will find the fan, probably also covered in dust (which will reduce the amount of air it can push) and underneath it a filthy dust-covered heatsink. Google a guide on the best way to clean out a CPU heatsink and follow that. If you aren't good inside a PC it is best not to remove anything, just do what you can with things attached to the PC. It won't be easy but its better than nothing.
    • Like the above point, look for dust around your PC and clean it out with a hoover. Grab the small heat fitting to get into the small holes and suck up any dust you can find, Inside the fans on the side, and on the heatsink.
    Just do what you can, and if you are unsure of anything, don't do it. Its better to have a slow PC than no PC at all.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzin View Post
    wow my typing offends you im sorry i dont have great typing skills i didnt know that determines the type of person i am. Merciless thnx do you know if a little thumb drive is enough space?
    Yes, it doesn't determine what type of a person you are but it makes us NOT want to rip our eyes out. Otherwise Clampy has stated all the things you could do to try speed it up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandoh View Post
    might be off topic and this probably will get me some kind of infraction.

but the way this person types and their attitude in said posts
    makes me not want to help him play online video games in anyway.
    I'm surprised he found his way to this forum. Anyway, waste of time.