Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It wasn't a double boot though it just kept doing it until I held the power button when it tried to turn on again, it only fixed itself when I unplugged all my usb wires and restarted the psu. Usually what happens before I get that BSOD is my computer starts slowly freezing, at first just slowing down then completely stopping and eventually BSODing if I haven't powered down yet, I've also noticed my cpu goes to full load on my cpu meter gadget during these times. As for the minidump file, the lastest one seems to be from yesterday and the 0x1a BSOD occured today and on top of that I get an "access denied" notification when I try to open one. Not sure what you mean about the SATA ports but I'm guessing I used Intel ports, here's my mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128494.

Edit: Also, when the 0x1A BSOD occured "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" was displayed in the mid-top of the BSOD.

15+ Year Old Account
    That motherboard does have Marvell SATA ports. Just in case you are using them, I would suggest updating your Marvell drivers (available from your motherboard manufacturer's website). I've seen some people with older drivers get BSoDs when using the Marvell ports.

The 0x1A is a memory management code. That doesn't necessarily mean a RAM problem, though. Since every driver and piece of software is loaded into RAM when used, they can cause memory management blue screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    That motherboard does have Marvell SATA ports. Just in case you are using them, I would suggest updating your Marvell drivers (available from your motherboard manufacturer's website). I've seen some people with older drivers get BSoDs when using the Marvell ports.

The 0x1A is a memory management code. That doesn't necessarily mean a RAM problem, though. Since every driver and piece of software is loaded into RAM when used, they can cause memory management blue screens.
    Ok thanks, I probably had old drivers since I installed my mobo drivers from the driver CD and i'm not sure which ports are marvell but i'm using the two white 6Gb/s SATA ports. I'll try overclocking again tonight maybe and see how it goes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lirik View Post
    That should be a sufficient motherboard for overclocking. I'm not sure why the setup is giving you fits.

Ok ive read both the guides, what they seem to do is leave on auto let the motherboard correct it apart from the VCore value.

Only problem is, the guides refer to what to set to the vCore as a fixed value, mine is asking me to set by how much I want to up (or down) the vCore from the base rate. Although I can set to auto and get 4.5 and beyond with the default settings they set thierself I didn't know how to change this setting, I went for a modest increase of 0.3...

Is this right? and by way should I be upping this to as a maximum as I am slowly upping upping the CPU one at a time till I find where my CPU doesn't boot anymore as advised in these guides. Or is theresome thing else I should be watching for?

---------- Post added 2011-08-16 at 08:19 PM ----------

Ok note to self! DON'T get carried away!! Prime95 made my temperature fly up at at clock rates over 4.5k
    Yesterday is history, today is a gift, tomorrow is mystery.

I was thinking about my OC and realized I was only getting the 0x1A BSOD after I adjusted my DRAM voltage, did I do something wrong? Should I change the voltages under my DRAM voltage? My thinking on this is that those numbers are set to .75v (half of the previous DRAM voltage of 1.5v) and I need to turn them down to .625v (half of the new DRAM voltage of 1.25v).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSniffles View Post
    I was thinking about my OC and realized I was only getting the 0x1A BSOD after I adjusted my DRAM voltage, did I do something wrong? Should I change the voltages under my DRAM voltage? My thinking on this is that those numbers are set to .75v (half of the previous DRAM voltage of 1.5v) and I need to turn them down to .625v (half of the new DRAM voltage of 1.25v).
    It depends on what the voltages were. Also, do you have the option for XMP RAM setting? That should pull proper settings, if they're not being pulled by default.

It depends on what the voltages were. Also, do you have the option for XMP RAM setting? That should pull proper settings, if they're not being pulled by default.
    Ya I do have that option but I heard it interferes with overclocking.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSniffles View Post
    Ya I do have that option but I heard it interferes with overclocking.
    Some people it won't work with them at all, some you have to set the settings of the RAM manually.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

I currently have the RAM on auto, ive dropped the vcore from the +0.3 to... damn can't remember possibly +1.0 - 1.5 I can't remember, I have left the rest of the settings on auto. Running Prime 95 and real temp. The temperature peaked at 83, and the cooler seems to be making the temperature drop rapidly but its also coming back up rapidly resulting in the fan going constantly high then low, so I assume thats as intented.

As I left the others on auto as the guides did, what sort of levels would be deemed 'safe' or acceptable. I may try to push another 100mhz out of the chip but thats my lot Ill write the current levels tomorrow when I boot and post them, if someone is willing to give them a glance over?

Perhaps I should try dropping the VCore a bit more also, and running prime 95 again?
    Last edited by Bann; 2011-08-17 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bann View Post
    I currently have the RAM on auto, ive dropped the vcore from the +0.3 to... damn can't remember possibly +1.0 - 1.5 I can't remember, I have left the rest of the settings on auto. Running Prime 95 and real temp. The temperature peaked at 83, and the cooler seems to be making the temperature drop rapidly but its also coming back up rapidly resulting in the fan going constantly high then low, so I assume thats as intented.

As I left the others on auto as the guides did, what sort of levels would be deemed 'safe' or acceptable. I may try to push another 100mhz out of the chip but thats my lot Ill write the current levels tomorrow when I boot and post them, if someone is willing to give them a glance over?

Perhaps I should try dropping the VCore a bit more also, and running prime 95 again?
    From what I've read most people consider 75C too high for their liking.

---------- Post added 2011-08-16 at 08:31 PM ----------

After reading that again, I'm wondering, what do you mean by it depends on what the voltages were?

Thanks for that, ill see if I can get it to drop, perhaps better CPU paste and drop the voltage a bit. Ill get the values of the other settings, perhaps I can afford a drop there too. But first I should sleep work in a few hours

Im off next week so ill have more time to tweak my settings and there is always weekend. Are you any closer to success?
    Last edited by Bann; 2011-08-17 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Edit: Fixed typo....

Thanks for that, ill see if I can get it to drop, perhaps better CPU paste and drop the voltage a bit. Ill get the values of the other settings, perhaps I can afford a drop there too. But first I should sleep work in a few hours

Im off next week so ill have more time to tweak my settings and there is always weekend. Are you any closer to success?
    What kind of cooler are you using?(sorry if this has been said before)

As for my success, well, it's lacking :P. Tonight when I begin yet another attempt of overclocking I'll be using this guide, it looks reliable but does anyone see any errors?

Just tried

4.5 ghz at 1.390 volts with LLC at 4 BSOD
    4.5 ghz at 1.390 volts with LLC at 5 BSOD
    4.4 ghz at 1.375 volts with LLC at 4 BSOD
    4.4 ghz at 1.375 volts with LLC at 5 BSOD

back to the stable 4.1ghz with no LLC and auto voltage :|

So after spending more time messing with the BIOS settings and running unsuccessful stress tests I've decided to just use the default settings and save the overclocking for either a day when I've learned more about it or a day when I find a program that demands more cpu power than what I have now. Nonetheless, thank you all very much for your help.

Not reading thread, but I'm OCing a 2600k with a v8 Cooler from TT, and it runs about 35-40 degrees, peaking at 60 degrees until full load, OCd to 4.5GHz on automatic voltage settings.

@Lirik just a thought id possibly contact the board manufacturer and intel, as from what ive read 4.5 is considered 'standard' for the i5 2500k.

@Mr Sniffles seems the guide you linked, the only thing i can see is that they tweak the turbo setting, if your having problems with stability anyway id maybe skip that for now.

The cooler im using is a freezer 13...

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/3/freezer-13.html

@
    Oxyra, thanks good to know, think ill get some better CPU paste

@Lirik just a thought id possibly contact the board manufacturer and intel, as from what ive read 4.5 is considered 'standard' for the i5 2500k.

@Mr Sniffles seems the guide you linked, the only thing i can see is that they tweak the turbo setting, if your having problems with stability anyway id maybe skip that for now.

The cooler im using is a freezer 13...

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/3/freezer-13.html

@
    Oxyra, thanks good to know, think ill get some better CPU paste
    I don't think the manufacturer helps with any sort of overclocking debugging.

Deleted
    Since there are already multiple threads about overclocking i5 2500k, I'm not going to start another but it would be nice if someone could answer this:

Unclocked, the CPU downclocks itself to save power if it's not under stress. But if I were to OC it to, say, 4.5, would it always stay at 4.5Ghz or would it still continue to downclock itself when it's idle?