Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Since there are already multiple threads about overclocking i5 2500k, I'm not going to start another but it would be nice if someone could answer this:

Unclocked, the CPU downclocks itself to save power if it's not under stress. But if I were to OC it to, say, 4.5, would it always stay at 4.5Ghz or would it still continue to downclock itself when it's idle?
    No.

I think the option is turbo in the bios. If you leave it on, the CPU will downclock when it isn't doing anything. When you do something intensive like gaming, it will jump up to your OC speed. If you decided to shut turbo off, it will keep you at 4.5ghz the whole time.

chuckles73
    I don't know if anyone had seen this, but the original problem sounded VERY similar (can't get 2500K past 4.1GHz).

Turned out it was a bug in the BIOS.

[I can't post links... google "Can anyone help me get my 2500K past 4.1Ghz", first page of the post was edited with details, so you may have to go to it if google dumps you onto page 17 or something]

May help. May not.

I registered to post it because I feel your pain.

15+ Year Old Account
    Locked. Please don't resurrect 7 month old threads with comments that equate to "google it". Locking the thread.