Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Noctua NH-D14 vs Corsair H80

I'm currently having an argument with a mate that a H80 is better than a D14, in the same case, same ambient temp under the same load for several hours the H80 will consistently be better because liquid moves a lot more heat quicker than the D14, as the D14 will build heat up in its pipes and fins over a period of time.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation?
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Stock settings, the H80 might be better.
    Heavily overclocked, the NH-D14 is definitely better.

So NH-D14.

(heatpipes also have liquid in them)

EDIT: I should mention, I do have the NH-D14. And while I could appear biased, I try not to be. I chose the NH-D14 for a reason. The H100 may very well be better though.

That's for the H70 but it should be similar for the H80. The H100 might stand a chance though.

After being the owner of a NH-D14 for about 2 years now, I can say that it is the most reliable air heatsink I have ever owned. My temperatures have been perfect even in the most overclocked modes my computer can go. Never had any problems at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    the D14 will build heat up in its pipes and fins over a period of time.
    That's stupid. Thermal equilibrium is going to be thermal equilibrium. Which an air cooler will probably reach in less than a minute.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    I'm currently having an argument with a mate that a H80 is better than a D14, in the same case, same ambient temp under the same load for several hours the H80 will consistently be better because liquid moves a lot more heat quicker than the D14, as the D14 will build heat up in its pipes and fins over a period of time.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation?
    Your mate wins that argument.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...ydro_h80/4.htm

H80 review with some numbers for you. NH-D14 wins quite clearly in both stock and overclocked sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    Your mate wins that argument.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...ydro_h80/4.htm

H80 review with some numbers for you. NH-D14 wins quite clearly in both stock and overclocked sections.
    And that's still a pretty soft overclock.

Not bad for an average 920, of course, but I've seen higher. Of course, the test would have to be subjective, as the non-top of the line would fail the heat-threshhold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    And that's still a pretty soft overclock.

Not bad for an average 920, of course, but I've seen higher. Of course, the test would have to be subjective, as the non-top of the line would fail the heat-threshhold.
    Really soft. 4.0GHz was the big target most people were able to hit, while its 4.8-5.0 for Sandy Bridge.

Although, at least for the Bloomfields, clock speed makes pretty much no difference with temps. Its all about Hyperthreading and Vcore, the latter or which varied wildly with different chips, and especially on whether you had c0 or d0 stepping.

But yeah.. On topic: The NH-D14 is definitely going to beat an H80 on an overclocked chip. I think the H100 can do better, but that thing makes some serious noise.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    Really soft. 4.0GHz was the big target most people were able to hit, while its 4.8-5.0 for Sandy Bridge.

Although, at least for the Bloomfields, clock speed makes pretty much no difference with temps. Its all about Hyperthreading and Vcore, the latter or which varied wildly with different chips, and especially on whether you had c0 or d0 stepping.

But yeah.. On topic: The NH-D14 is definitely going to beat an H80 on an overclocked chip. I think the H100 can do better, but that thing makes some serious noise.
    Hyperthreading alone should be good for 10°C. :P

I think my Lynnfield could probably reach 4.6-4.8 easily if it had been unlocked, just lower the FSB to 100. It works for the Gulftowns! (although, I do expect, like with the Gulftowns, that it would have horrible performance with 100x49 compared to say 200x24. :P).
    I can reach 4.4 with it, but the multiplier says no more at 22, and I'm not comfortable having my vCore above 1.36 on air, esp in the summer :|

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone else notice the blue screen at the end of his H70 testing? >.> Linus usually makes me laugh. I've watched a couple of his different videos/reviews/benchmarks and most of them have been amusing at some point.

In every other thread with the NH-D14 being debated, I've said the same thing. I, personally, know of 2 people who switched from an H70 to a D14 and swear they will never go back. I have one as well, and it does very well for what I throw at it. It's amazing. I had a 212+ before my D14, and I didn't like it at all.

And seeing as how there is hardly any difference from the H80 in regards to the H70....it's obvious the D14 would win.

Deleted
    from tests i've seen the noctua still actually beats the h100, unless you use push/pull on the rad, which then makes it costs such a ridiculous price that you shouldn't really ever compare it as you are entering the territory and price range of a dedicated water cooling kit.

NH-D14 > anything but custom watercooling solution.
    Its a MASSIVE aircooler..
    Got a Warlock as a main, a Druid and a DK at 80 as alts and lvling a Rogue..

"You are only as good player, as the guild you are into"

Well, haven't been able to find as many H100 reviews I'd like, and those I found wouldn't compare with the NH-D14. :<
    The exception has been this one.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like the NH-D14 because it's quiet. The Hxx are cool, but they're more of a novelty item IMO
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Now that's a silly statement, Demon. Air- and watercoolers have their ups and downs.
    Calling one novelty? Might as well say that about the other too. -_-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortalis71 View Post

That's for the H70 but it should be similar for the H80. The H100 might stand a chance though.
    damn.. i rather keep my H70 instead of a aircooler like that:S so ugly :S

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    I like the NH-D14 because it's quiet. The Hxx are cool, but they're more of a novelty item IMO
    The Noctua NH-D14 is a lot of things, but quiet is not one of them. Easily the loudest piece in my build.
    Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    damn.. i rather keep my H70 instead of a aircooler like that:S so ugly :S
    What. You'd rather have big plastic lumps of robotic wannabe-equipment than one of the most beautiful heatsinks ever with some of the most beautiful (but loud!) fans ever made?

Taste awful your is.
    &nbsp;

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Now that's a silly statement, Demon. Air- and watercoolers have their ups and downs.
    Calling one novelty? Might as well say that about the other too. -_-
    i'd have to agree (with demon). if you want water cooling go with a custom loop and if you want air cooling, go with a proper air cooler like the noctua. coolers such as the hXXX series are just gimmicks, as they are either a ton more expensive than an equal air cooler and are no way near the performance of a custom loop. i personally cannot see the use of one, other than to look 'cool'.

Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce View Post
    i'd have to agree (with demon). if you want water cooling go with a custom loop and if you want air cooling, go with a proper air cooler like the noctua. coolers such as the hXXX series are just gimmicks, as they are either a ton more expensive than an equal air cooler and are no way near the performance of a custom loop. i personally cannot see the use of one, other than to look 'cool'.
    Then that's too bad mate.

The only problem with the closed water-cooling system is that there is a near non-existent selection of products. You've got the Corsair H series... and their only competition is Antec.

I switched my NH-D14 for a H100 recently but i have mounted 4x Scythe GT 3000RPM in push/pull (fan controlled @ 2000rpm) and used Xtreme Indigo for the thermal paste (meh its not really a thermal paste but whatever). So my Core i5 2500K is overclocked to 5GHZ @ 1.45V, ambient temp is usually 25C,idle 31-33c, under load 62-65c, compared to my 69-72C with my NH-D14 (had 2 Scythe GT mounted on it). Ill post some screenshot later =) Just so you guys know the fan controler + 4fans +indigo xtreme cost more than a h100 itself ahah