Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Best SSD for SRT?

Hey guys,

I did a search on google and didn't get anything conclusive so I figured I would ask in here to see if anyone knew.

I was wondering what the best things to look for in an SSD are if you are going to use it for SRT, and if specific drives were built with SRT in mind so they would run better on a SRT setup than using them as a dedicated drive?
    40gb 60gb or 64gb ?
    3gb/s or 6gb/s ?
    Does read/write speed make a huge difference in SRT?

I want to get the best cost for usage ratio, keeping as quick as possible but keeping the cost as low as possible. If anyone has any experience with this, would be most appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gigabyte released some Z68 M/Bs which include a SSD for SRT. You could check these disks since for some more info.

Those are literally on-board. Think he's looking for a separate SSD.

As for OP: Read/write's not going to be different, as the SSD is used for caching. Ie it stores frequently used data there. This does however mean that booting up software you run frequently will do so at the speed of a normal SSD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2011-08-15 at 01:11 PM.

Deleted
    I am sorry to ask this, but what is a SRT ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Those are literally on-board. Think he's looking for a separate SSD.

As for OP: Read/write's not going to be different, as the SSD is used for caching. Ie it stores frequently used data there. This does however mean that booting up software you run frequently will do so at the speed of a normal SSD.
    Yeah, meant to check the specs of these onboard drives

Quote Originally Posted by sevenbug View Post
    SRT stands for Smart Response Technology.
    It allows you to use a SSD as cache for your normal HDD which results in higher speed.
    Last edited by Zkeya; 2011-08-15 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sevenbug View Post
    Smart Response Technology: AKA SSD Caching

I found this review to be informative for that

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    I have been playing around with whether I should go P67 or Z68. I guess a lot of people are doing the same and are curious about what the Z68 brings. Seeing as the graphics side of things seems do be pointless unless you are making videos, the caching side of thing is the only 'extra' I would be using and thus that is why I am curious about what kind of SSD would be suitable.

The motherboards are roughly £20 different, (with the P67 being the cheaper of course) but I gain the option of adding an SSD later for caching if I want to. I think thats quite a sound investment instead of wishing I had done it later on.

Reviews show some pretty good results as well, its a decision I have been playing with for a few weeks, I just wanted to know the above question so I knew how much I would need to spend to get a good result.

So are you saying that Read/write is for the most part, irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    A smaller cheaper SSD would be most cost effective. Either go with a real small one for SRT, or a larger one for a normal install. Going with the middle ground isn't great unless you're only storing a few large games.
    I don't have the money to get a bigger SSD with the current prices. And honestly, I feel like caching would be a lot better for someone who uses quite a few programs/games. A normal SSD is limited by the smaller size, which means that I will only be able to speed up specific selected programs. With the caching, anything that I use is sped up.

Which brings me to my OP, If you are using more and more programs on a small SSD, is there a limit to how much is "sped up". If I had a bigger SSD, would more programs be cached and sped up? Would a faster read/write mean that I would speed up MORE than with a lower read/write?

I am not great with cache, so I just wanted to find out what I should be looking for when looking at a device entirely for SRT.
    Last edited by mmoc18646deaeb; 2011-08-15 at 01:50 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Any low capacity SSD should do.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139428

6GB, enough for SRT.
    230 MB/s read
    75 MB/s write
    - only 55 dollars

You can also take a look at
    30GB SSDs http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008120 600038482&IsNodeId=1&name=30GB
    32GB SSDs http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Id=1&name=32GB
    Last edited by kailtas; 2011-08-15 at 01:55 PM.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Deleted
    dedicated SSD > Intel SRT > Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid drive > 10.000 RPM Velociraptor > 7200 RPM Desktop drive > 5400 RPM Laptop drive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    dedicated SSD > Intel SRT > Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid drive > 10.000 RPM Velociraptor > 7200 RPM Desktop drive > 5400 RPM Laptop drive
    Doesn't really answer the question though :P I am aware a dedicated is better than SRT.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zkeya View Post
    Gigabyte released some Z68 M/Bs which include a SSD for SRT. You could check these disks since for some more info.
    Interesting, care to link a couple models?
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Well, they're not very available thus far. The iSSD models aren't available in conventional computer stores in Norway for one.

EDIT: Found one.
    http://prisguide.hardware.no/produkt...d3-issd-148635
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-08-15 at 02:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah i read that and kicked myself and didn't have time to delete the post lol

Deleted
    Just to carry on the original OP question:
    Would a 60gb SSD be worth it with SRT? I would rather have a bigger array of programs moderately sped up than a smaller amount quite a bit quicker (if that makes sense). Please correct me if that is not how it works, if more space on the SSD means more programs able to be cached then I think that is quite admirable.

I don't just play WoW, I have several other games that I switch between, and I don't think a 60gig would be enough (Though, I am only using 110gb now on my 'main' OS drive).

The SRT system has an upper limit of 40GB. Anything above that will be assigned as a drive letter on your HDD if memory serves right.

Deleted
    The SRT system has an upper limit of 40GB. Anything above that will be assigned as a drive letter on your HDD if memory serves right.
    Sorry to correct you, this is taken from Wikipedia:

The maximum utilizable cache size on the SSD is 64 GB

I really like the concept of SRT. A dedicated big one is obviously better, and everyone realises that. But that is not within everyones budget.
    A 40GB SSD and a Z68-board should be though.
    I'd rather change my current Corsair Force F60 to SRT-slaving if I had the choice.
    64GiB. Or 64 GB. Can't remember.

Huh. Oh, right. My bad. I mixed it up with Intel's SRT-dedicated SSD that sits at 40GB.