Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    It's 3-4 times faster per watt, which is mostly a result of the die-shrink I believe. If they keep the power usage for their new cards in line with the 500 series then yes, it'll be quite a leap forward.
    Yea.

Believe it or not, Fermi was heavily scaled back because of escalating powerconsumption.
    This was the base on which the Fermi-series awkwardness was centred on. While themselves good, we never saw half of their potential, for the need to keep the power in check.
    The second generation of Fermi (500-series) fared a bit better, with more improvements, but it's basically the same, but with them enabling more power for the same-ish watt.

Imagine if they actually would only need a third of its watt, now scale it back up to todays levels of watt.
    (However, what I've heard is still new architecture)

10+ Year Old Account
    http://i.imgur.com/OLVVp.jpg

Doesn't this image (from Nvidia) imply its a whole new architecture?
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/OLVVp.jpg

Doesn't this image (from Nvidia) imply its a whole new architecture?
    It implies such, since it's listed after Tesla and Fermi, but what it tells is actually only the comparable data-bandwidth. Per watt.
    EDIT: Also, fermi ftw.

Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-08-21 at 02:24 AM.

The main goal of Fermi was to make the architecture better for GPGPU. I don't think that they will give up on that that easily.
    If there is a new architecture, it will be based on Fermi or it will be a heavily upgraded version of Fermi. The architecture works and they don't need to change it. They just need to reduce the power consumption.

Isnt a FLOP a Floating Operation. Which would make it relative performance per watt instead of data bandwith.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    The main goal of Fermi was to make the architecture better for GPGPU. I don't think that they will give up on that that easily.
    If there is a new architecture, it will be based on Fermi or it will be a heavily upgraded version of Fermi. The architecture works and they don't need to change it. They just need to reduce the power consumption.
    You mean like what's going to happen with SB -> IB. Dieshrink together with some architecture changes.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-21 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Isnt a FLOP a Floating Operation. Which would make it relative performance per watt instead of data bandwith.
    Relative computing strength per watt, but yea.
    I swear, if we would have this conversation in Swedish, I wouldn't have made that mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Relative computing strength per watt, but yea.
    I swear, if we would have this conversation in Swedish, I wouldn't have made that mistake.
    Make that Dutch for me. That's why I sometimes respond a little slower, Google is my big friend. That, or I'm typing on my phone (like now)
    How did you like the Pokemon?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Might as well get an AMD 7000 series card since they are slated for years end to start dropping the entry and mid range models which are slated to perform as well as the 6800 series and higher with less power consumption. In doing so, the price of AMD 6900 series cards will plummet considerably so you could probably drop some coin on a 6970 and be set for quite a while.

---------- Post added 2011-08-21 at 01:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Yea.

Believe it or not, Fermi was heavily scaled back because of escalating powerconsumption.
    This was the base on which the Fermi-series awkwardness was centred on. While themselves good, we never saw half of their potential, for the need to keep the power in check.
    The second generation of Fermi (500-series) fared a bit better, with more improvements, but it's basically the same, but with them enabling more power for the same-ish watt.

Imagine if they actually would only need a third of its watt, now scale it back up to todays levels of watt.
    (However, what I've heard is still new architecture)
    After the fiasco that was the GTX 480 cards and how hot they ran not to mention the power consumption ratings, Nvidia still has a lot of work to do to get back on level ground with AMD in the economy side of computer graphics. As much as people like to dismiss AMD, their cards are great performers for the price and they have far less power draw for what you get then their Nvidia counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    After the fiasco that was the GTX 480 cards and how hot they ran not to mention the power consumption ratings, Nvidia still has a lot of work to do to get back on level ground with AMD in the economy side of computer graphics. As much as people like to dismiss AMD, their cards are great performers for the price and they have far less power draw for what you get then their Nvidia counterparts.
    Power consumption is everything. If you can reduce the power consumption by 50%, you can double the raw calculating power of the graphics card.
    Power consumption is also important for laptops, tablets and other mobile devices, and this market is so big that AMD and Nvidia can't afford not to focus on it.