Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    My biggest gripe with it at the moment is going to be the gameplay, no reticule combat considering its going the "action" combat route.
    They are pro addon so you can bet someone is going to make a "combat mode" like they did for GW2 to make it a proper action combat system.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2013-04-15 at 03:34 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I just did!

The post up above sounded like FF11. After reading up a bit on MMOArlee.com, Circles sound freaking awesome for my MMO needs.
    I think that is partially what they were referring too in the server article. They are adding some stuff to the social side of mmorpg's that we have not seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Well Australians were initially exiled British citizens.
    Yeah, I was quoting the old Fosters, Australian for Beer, commercial.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    One can always paint a cross-hair on their monitor. It should be somewhere around, in vicinity of, exactly at the center point.

---------- Post added 2013-04-15 at 07:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Yeah, I was quoting the old Fosters, Australian for Beer, commercial.
    Ah, sorry, not familiar with that.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Well Australians were initially exiled British citizens.
    Are we insinuating that Exiles are criminals??? I will not take that slander QQ!

But yea I think the difference is basically the Cassians who created the Dominion and the Humans are the ones who didn't. That's my very basic understanding of it.

One can always paint a cross-hair on their monitor. It should be somewhere around, in vicinity of, exactly at the center point.
    And glue down your right click, don't forget that.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Are we insinuating that Exiles are criminals???
    Well, from the Dominion's point of view...

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    And glue down your right click, don't forget that.
    That goes without saying!
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Honestly, though. They should make a reticule/action combat mode a UI option offered in game. Because too many people don't look for addons or associate them with their account being hacked. A lot of people are going to look at this game and go "that's not action combat..." and move on. By having an option to help the tab target people transition to action combat by having this watered down action combat default and having a "toggle action combat" option under UI they would appease both crowds.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Honestly, though. They should make a reticule/action combat mode a UI option offered in game. Because too many people don't look for addons or associate them with their account being hacked. A lot of people are going to look at this game and go "that's not action combat..." and move on. By having an option to help the tab target people transition to action combat by having this watered down action combat default and having a "toggle action combat" option under UI they would appease both crowds.
    To be perfectly fair, the majority of MMO players don't like action combat to that extent. Having the mouse move your field of vision is pretty limiting for a lot of reasons, mostly to do with UI and camera angles. Yes it's fun to aim at things, but in a raid environment it's not very fun to have limited field of view. In a game so heavily reliant on telegraphs, I just don't see how 'real' action combat is viable for the masses and thus isn't a great thing to spend development time on.

Especially when people who are 'pro action combat' more than likely are fully capable of downloading addons to create that and modders will make it for free. Addtionally, Gaffney has talked about actually rewarding the modding community in some way. They realize that the implications for actually handing out money is goverened by so many laws and tax stuff that it would be messy, but that taking someone's idea/using it to make their game better without returning the favor is crap.

I expect they will give perks, freebs, and subs (if they have them) to authors of incredible mods that may be included with the official game with updates.
    BAD WOLF

There are only 2 "mmos" that I have played that I would consider to have action combat, Dragon Nest and Vindictus. Anything less than that is either a hybrid, tab target, or just straight up turn based combat. From what I've seen Wildstar looks to have fairly conventional mmo combat. But there is a big market for that.

Tab targeting doesn't exclude action combat design. Or rather, mouse look targeting isn't exclusively action combat.

10+ Year Old Account
    I should probably post the top other videos too and podcasts now that I think about it.

VIDEOS

UNOFFICIAL/FAN/NETWORK

PODCASTS

UNOFFICIAL/FAN/NETWORK

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    To be perfectly fair, the majority of MMO players don't like action combat to that extent. Having the mouse move your field of vision is pretty limiting for a lot of reasons, mostly to do with UI and camera angles. Yes it's fun to aim at things, but in a raid environment it's not very fun to have limited field of view. In a game so heavily reliant on telegraphs, I just don't see how 'real' action combat is viable for the masses and thus isn't a great thing to spend development time on.
    I do have to say this seems to be true for the most part. I remember when I got onto the demo at Pax East I was relieved to find I could move by pressing both mouse buttons and look around by pressing one and turn using the other. I did get more comfortable with the "action reticule" thing after playing Neverwinter all weekend, but I am still far more comfortable with the other style of targeting and moving. This feeling has been often echoed by my guild (we all play a variety of mmo's together) as well and I think it is a good part of why Tera didn't really catch hold for us the way other games have.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Tab targeting doesn't exclude action combat design. Or rather, mouse look targeting isn't exclusively action combat.
    Well anything with a target lock I consider a hybrid. But the area is a bit ambiguous, depends on the person I suppose. Coming from an FPS background my opinion is a bit skewed toward that.

SirRobin I think you just gave me homework... That I am looking forward to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    SirRobin I think you just gave me homework... That I am looking forward to.
    You're welcome. Think I got a good mix and those three housing videos in the middle are impressively high quality. Anyone else have one they think should be in there?

I saw a video of this when it was first announced and didn't really think twice about it, but now with TBs videos, and watching a bunch of the ones recently posted in here, I'm actually pretty excited for this. Really hope it's not subscription based though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    I saw a video of this when it was first announced and didn't really think twice about it, but now with TBs videos, and watching a bunch of the ones recently posted in here, I'm actually pretty excited for this. Really hope it's not subscription based though.
    Well there has been a hint or two either way but we don't have anything official yet.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2013-04-15 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Eh, just disagree with their stance is all (mostly the snobbery why he stated it in that video). Why waste dev time making content for 1% of the players (their quote mind you) with two different raids eating up resources, when they could be making the world/dungeon/pvp/etc more epic than it probably already is. Just surprised an MMO is coming out that's regressing to old tired ideas when the rest of the industry has moved on.

We'll just see if it pays out for them or not and see how their raid design evolves (De-evolves?) over time.

Sorry, I don't equate 40-man raiding as being any harder than 10-man raiding (even 70+ man raiding back in EQ in 2001, that shit was easy to me) other than the organizational effort of the raid lead and officers. I'm also willing to bet that in my 10-man in WoW, i raid at a higher skill level than you do.
    I agree that I don't see why 40 man raids have to be the hardest. MMO's seem to have this tendency to assume that the higher the required group, the harder the content should be.

Personally I see no problem with having 40 man raids. Hell I might even do them myself depending on how Carbine sets them up, but I doubt it. So long as there's enough smaller group content available as well. There's no reason why a boss in a five man dungeon can't be as hard as large raid bosses. It's all about how they're tuned.

I'm hopeful that Wildstar will provide plenty of challenges for groups of all sizes (even solo players) with rewards that are based more on the difficulty of the encounter than the size of ones friends list.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallos View Post
    I agree that I don't see why 40 man raids have to be the hardest. MMO's seem to have this tendency to assume that the higher the required group, the harder the content should be.

Personally I see no problem with having 40 man raids. Hell I might even do them myself depending on how Carbine sets them up, but I doubt it. So long as there's enough smaller group content available as well. There's no reason why a boss in a five man dungeon can't be as hard as large raid bosses. It's all about how they're tuned.

I'm hopeful that Wildstar will provide plenty of challenges for groups of all sizes (even solo players) with rewards that are based more on the difficulty of the encounter than the size of ones friends list.
    if you cant see how stand alone 40 man raids can be made to be alot harder than 10 man then there really isnt any point in explaining. This is not wow where you have both in mind and having to find a balance between the two.

The only thing making 40 mans essentially harder is the amount of people having to coordinate together. However 10 man can be potentially harder then 40 by adding more complex mechanics for smaller amounts of people.