Every time I open a vendor in Rift I'm shown the in game currency price and the cash shop price for everything is the worst offender to me. I like that Rift left all the features available in f2p, but the vendor thing is obnoxious. But also seeing interesting items on other players and then learning the only way to get them is through the cash shop, that to me is advertising.
    No when you open a vendor in Rift yes it brings you to the cash shop (they universed vendors so it's easier and gives you your own personal vendor) but it does not bring you to any part of the cash shop that would sell you stuff unless YOU physically click to that part of the cash shop. You can easily sell your shit and then exit it without looking at a damn thing it sells on the cash shop. Don't coat the truth.

They weren't good when they released
    subjective.

- - - Updated - - -

Aion was a massive grind from about 35-50, almost no quests after there had been standard MMO questing up until then (Aion mostly survived on Asian subs).
    That was intended, though afterwords it was changed for the West because that's how the WEST market works.

RIFT was missing most of its features too when it released: no raid/pvp rifts--or if there were they were broken, overtuned dungeons, no instant adventures or chronicles, a single 5 boss, buggy raid, no LFD. SWTOR was missing lots of basic features and had little level-cap content. LotRO is the only one I didn't play when it released so can't say what caused its problems.
    Rofl

features that were added as new content later in the year =/= key features missing from launch. PvP rifts were an experiment close to the end of the year which failed (they even stated it wasn't good) and is hardly a key feature. Dungeons were not even close to overtuned (they made master mode because of this), instant adventures were added later (they were not planned for launch) and came out before WoW scenarios.

When isn't there a buggy raid in any game? LFD wasn't a necessity either and came out about a month later.

SWTOR I don't ever consider that game anything but illogical.

AoC was the only game that went F2P because they had too, the other's did not have to, P2P isn't as profitable as people think. It only works for WoW because that got 6 million people subscribing.
    Last edited by zito; 2013-07-28 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    But surely if you do a stupid >.> face or say your guessing then it's not breaking the NDA, or thats the impression one would get from the past 100 pages .
    I don't know what you're talking about.

>_>

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    H
    WoW loses subs every year despite content and expansions. Remember when they had 13 million subscribers? Now were down to 7 million. Not indicated that WoW is dying but I think the model sure is.
    Considering how many of that 7 million is actually PPH, not subscription, I would say so.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    But has there been a single MMO with a monthly sub that's been any good at release since WoW? LotRO, AoC, WAR, Aion, SWTOR, RIFT (at release, certainly much better now), and some others I'm sure I can't remember all actually sold well when they were released with a monthly sub (SWTOR was over 2million), but died off because they simply weren't very good games.

WoW is such an anomaly is hard to tell anything from its sub numbers at this point. They said several times WoW has always lost players, but early on they always had enough new ones to cover those losses. Is it surprising that a 9 year old game isn't gaining many new players any more? I actually think having lots of expansions keeps new players away. I always wanted to try EQ or DAoC but when they were on their 3rd or 4th xpac already I never felt like I'd ever be able to catch up so never got either game. Even thinking of going back to LotRO for me now is daunting since they're so far beyond when I last stopped playing.

I prefer the sub model since in any of the f2p games I always feel like I'm being bombarded asking me to buy stuff, like the game is one giant commercial. I hope Wildstar at least starts as sub (or B2P) so the game can stand on its own if its good enough.
    Definition of "good" is as subjective as sub model vs f2p. Only 2 MMOs that i know of that are older then 5yrs that havn't flipped $$ models is WoW and FF11

F2P doesn't always mean "better". Same with subs.

Go look at Marvel Heroes. If you don't want pray to the RNG gods and a certain character you want to play as never drops. Be prepared to shell out about 15$ just to play as wolverine and some skins are 10$.

There are games who do it better. In this day in age it doesn't matter what type of pay model a buisness does. As long as.

Its fair and makes sense.
    lives up to promises made.
    can shell out content in reasonable time.
    Don't copy other companies and create your IPs own ID

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisu View Post
    Go look at Marvel Heroes. If you don't want pray to the RNG gods and a certain character you want to play as never drops. Be prepared to shell out about 15$ just to play as wolverine and some skins are 10$.
    They did/will be change(ing) this actually. Now you can grind endgame to get in-game currency to buy those heroes instead of needing to hope for drops. Though it's going to be quite a grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    They did/will be change(ing) this actually. Now you can grind endgame to get in-game currency to buy those heroes instead of needing to hope for drops. Though it's going to be quite a grind.
    Which is totz okay.

F2P is all about pay or grind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ewww grind.

I'm fine with paying for convenience like EXP boosters or cosmetic armor/weapon skins. I just don't like game breaking shit like buying actual weapons and armor or damage boosters. Still want to know just what exactly their "hybrid model" is going to be.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2013-07-28 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphlord View Post
    Ewww grind.

I'm fine with paying for convenience like EXP boosters or cosmetics. I just don't like game breaking shit like buying weapons and armor or damage boosters. Still want to know just what exactly their "hybrid model" is going to be.
    I'm okay with lowbie stuff for leveling or weapon and model skins for cosmetic use.

Damage boosters seems to be mainly a GW2 thing and those should never have been allowed to stay active in pvp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    I'm okay with lowbie stuff for leveling or weapon and model skins for cosmetic use.

Damage boosters seems to be mainly a GW2 thing and those should never have been allowed to stay active in pvp.
    I don't play GW2 but I'm 100% sure 'damage boosters' do not exist. The only boosters you can get are currency ones i.e Honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexxie View Post
    I don't play GW2 but I'm 100% sure 'damage boosters' do not exist. The only boosters you can get are currency ones i.e Honor.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Strength_Booster

>_>

(seems like they made it so competitive pvp removes it.)

-nda snip-
    Last edited by Remilia; 2013-07-28 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Strength_Booster

>_>

(seems like they made it so competitive pvp removes it.)
    Indeed. Considering it's only applicable in the cooperative portions of the game (i.e. when it won't really give you an advantage over someone else), it's really not much of an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkzn View Post
    -nda snip-
    Can't help but feel sorry for the guy if he gets kicked out of the Beta, so naively innocent when it comes to the NDA .
    Last edited by Remilia; 2013-07-28 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Can't help but feel sorry for the guy if he gets kicked out of the Beta, so naively innocent when it comes to the NDA .
    I can't. I've yet to be in anything with a NDA where the NDA wasn't extremely obvious and explicit. If you (royal you) don't pay attention to it, that's your own damn problem.

I dont understand.. I didnt break any nda with what I posted. It's always been allowed to link reddit etc. I can understand you wanting to keep the thread abit more under NDA, but atleast make a post explaining how strict you want it. It's been very open earlier, with people TALKING "openly" about stuff, as long as they talk in codewords.

I dont understand.. I didnt break any nda with what I posted. It's always been allowed to link reddit etc. I can understand you wanting to keep the thread abit more under NDA, but atleast make a post explaining how strict you want it. It's been very open earlier, with people TALKING "openly" about stuff, as long as they talk in codewords.
    Not talking about you, talking about people who are the ones uploading/posting actual NDA breaks. The links to the Wildstar reddit and such are totally fine here because linking to another resource isn't breaking anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    My personal view is I don't think folks stop playing WoW because of the cost, they stopped playing WoW because of the content. Take GW2 for example.. that was supposed to be the perfect model. You pay once, and then you can play whenever you want for free. I don't play it anymore. Nor did any of my friends. Nor do some big streamers I watch. So I don't think it's a pay issue.. I think it's content. If they develop a game that keeps people wanting to play.. I think they'll pay a sub.
    This many times. If content keeps being great, 15 dollars a month is nothing, and well worth it. But once you are bored, and feel like content is not worth it, that money suddenly are a big deal. WoW patches over the years have always had a okay quality, all trough patching has often been to slow for my liking.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    I think making a general post linking to r/wildstaronline is one thing. Actually discussing the nda content itself is something else entirely.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not talking about you, talking about people who are the ones uploading/posting actual NDA breaks. The links to the Wildstar reddit and such are totally fine here because linking to another resource isn't breaking anything!
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I think making a general post linking to r/wildstaronline is one thing. Actually discussing the nda content itself is something else entirely.
    All he did was refer to the reddit page, far less conspicuously than others too. That said people have shown if given an inch they'll take a mile so to speak so can't really blame the crackdown, easier to just avoid it entirely than have people posting close-to-nda-breaking stuff all the time.

My concern wasn't the fact that you were using real currency. It's the fact that some characters where 15$ (which is crazy stupid) and skins alone were 10$. Assuming your info really does get added in.

Time spent using Real $15 or ingame $15 for 1 character is stupid high. But it was a point to show how companies can milk F2P the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisu View Post
    My concern wasn't the fact that you were using real currency. It's the fact that some characters where 15$ (which is crazy stupid) and skins alone were 10$. Assuming your info really does get added in.

Time spent using Real $15 or ingame $15 for 1 character is stupid high. But it was a point to show how companies can milk F2P the wrong way.
    >_>

According to all the pro subscription model people "15 dollars is nothing if it's fun"