The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Not my problem if you contradict yourself.
    I'm guessing you've never heard the terms quote/unquote, bunny ears, ' ' <--these things, or sarcasm? I would have thought referencing mythical creatures and using the punctuation would have been a clear indicator in that scenario. At this point I have no other choice but to assume you are deliberately communicating in a manner to draw ire.

Good day.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Oh yes, 'Community', that elusive myth on par with loch ness, bigfoot, and a unicorn. After seeing all the requirements in order to have a community, I'm starting to wonder if there's ever been a single MMO that had one. I'm leaning towards no.

What an MMO with 'community' apparently looks like:
    - No grouping tools. No LFD, no listings of groups, nothing. Trade chat spam for groups only.
    - No ability to kill anything on your own. All mobs are mega-elite and require being fully grouped to do anything.
    - No levels, no gear, no prestige so that no one's feelings are hurt and everyone is always on the same page.
    - Maximum of 100 players on a server, otherwise you can't know everyone and this makes community impossible.
    - The ability to punish players for any action that you don't agree with. If they make a mistake or sarcastic comments you can delete their account.

I could go on, but....I think my point has been made.
    That would be what a hardcore community would look like. Why would we need to have nothing or everything.. what is wrong with drawing the line at full cross realm open world play? Wow did an awful job with population control.. if carbine can do a decent job then I see no problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    That would be what a hardcore community would look like. Why would we need to have nothing or everything.. what is wrong with drawing the line at full cross realm open world play? Wow did an awful job with population control.. if carbine can do a decent job then I see no problem.
    What do you see as 'population control'? That's the whole point, a game shouldn't put themselves in a position to require controlling a population. They need to enable players to play the game with whomever, whenever. That's the most beneficial system to the player. If you're going to keep outdated server structures due to technology, economic, or abitrary reasons...that's fine.

Just allow players to play with other people as they see fit. That's really the problem. Obviously this isn't referencing group finders or other specifics as that would be getting into accessibility on a different scope, but in regards to what you mention it is less than ideal to have both an oudated server structure AND not the full ability to play with others.

This is an MMO and community does matter, but people often don't realize that part of community is being able to play with your friends (old and new) no matter when either of you join the game or what servers you roll on. As it is, even WoW doesn't have it perfect b/c friends that have differing opinions on PvP vs PvE cannot play together in the open world.

MMOs should be about bridging gaps for people, not making them more divisive.
    BAD WOLF

What you claim has been discussed and proven mostly false to a large degree in various other threads across MMO, including this one.
    Kitty's "Phantom Source" strikes again!
    These blacklists and ninjas forced to transfer were a rare occurrence and basically never happened.
    Precisely, it was a rare occurrence because the self-regulating community didn't produce a bunch of jerks like the anonymous community produces now.
    Regardless, your statements reinforce the validity of the claim that a large portion of people against these tools simply want to punish people for being 'bad'.
    Exactly. As opposed to rewarding people for being bad like now. Forcing bad players to get better allows the developer to create deeper, more complex and challenging content. Dumbing everything down to reward horrible play only makes your playerbase worse and handcuffs developers into creating mind numbingly boring content (eg dailies).

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Does that mean EvE Online, Star Trek Online and Neverwinter Online are all figments of future imagination?
    Are we talking about AAA titles that need to consider more then tenfold the amount of players any of the above games has?
    Are we talking about open world games here?

Haven't played Eve or Star Trek (didn't even here of the latter in fact lol) but Neverwinter is an instanced cake. Hardly something that can be compared to WoW/Wildstar.

The curious trend of 'I want an open world, sandbox mmorpg with full on action combat on one mega server full of millions of people where my decisions influence the world around me' is a little unrealistic. It may be something to consider or work towards, but at the moment, it's just a dream and no company in their right mind, that;s aiming for a success, would try that right now. Most can barely handle few thousand of active players per realm without coming to a crawl more often then not.
    Last edited by mag07; 2013-10-18 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mag07 View Post
    Are we talking about AAA titles that need to consider more then tenfold the amount of players any of the above games has?
    Are we talking about open world games here?

Haven't played Eve or Star Trek (didn't even here of the latter in fact lol) but Neverwinter is an instanced cake. Hardly something that can be compared to WoW/Wildstar.

The curious trend of 'I want an open world, sandbox mmorpg with full on action combat on one mega server full of millions of people where my decisions influence the world around me' is a little unrealistic. It may be something to consider or work towards, but at the moment, it's just a dream.
    open world, sandbox, action mmo with a mega server. hmm. you just described firefall.

also, isn't wildstar a AA mmo? not a AAA? Also, wildstar is not going for mass appeal.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

what determines a AA or AAA rating for a product? I thought it was development resources dedicated toward the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    what determines a AA or AAA rating for a product? I thought it was development resources dedicated toward the game.
    It is resources and Wildstar is definitely a AAA MMO. I should clarify it is the amount of resources only. Surprisingly, Wiki has a pretty good statement to clear it up:
    AAA game, a lingo in the video game industry for games developed for major platforms with enormous marketing budgets.
    In this case, it will really remain to be seen how they market the game, but considering their arcship events, con attendance, and general development...I don't see how it would end up any other way. You don't spend millions and millions of dollars and then hope someone buys the game.

NWO would be a good example of a AA game, whereas they certainly didn't spend the same amount of money getting the game out there and into people's hands.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2013-10-18 at 05:21 PM.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    I am reserving my laughs for when Wildstar goes F2P and ends up against swtor.
    Let us elaborate:

- Wildstar launches: Great game, loads of sales (Million + sales in the 1st week). Twitch is full with Wildstar streams; everyone`s talking about it!
    - After 6 months: People dwindling to other games such as inc WoW expansion and more incoming games like 2016 EQ:Next and ES:O.

- 1 year later: `We are pleased to announce our F2p model! Those who bought the game get a special title of `Hehe, pwnt`. You can still sub and get a title of `I`m not sure what to play at the moment.

D: Anything is possible; but this is the most realistic assessment of a game that wants to be best at everything that already is #Rift

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormkhan View Post
    Let us elaborate:

- Wildstar launches: Great game, loads of sales (Million + sales in the 1st week). Twitch is full with Wildstar streams; everyone`s talking about it!
    - After 6 months: People dwindling to other games such as inc WoW expansion and more incoming games like 2016 EQ:Next and ES:O.

- 1 year later: `We are pleased to announce our F2p model! Those who bought the game get a special title of `Hehe, pwnt`. You can still sub and get a title of `I`m not sure what to play at the moment.

D: Anything is possible; but this is the most realistic assessment of a game that wants to be best at everything that already is #Rift
    You forgot to add that Carbine will invent some new flashy term for F2P that attempts to hide the perceivednegative aspects of being free while emphasizing that everyone can play it 'however they want'. Sorta like how a subscription only model is 'hybrid' payment.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    You forgot to add that Carbine will invent some new flashy term for F2P that attempts to hide the perceivednegative aspects of being free while emphasizing that everyone can play it 'however they want'. Sorta like how a subscription only model is 'hybrid' payment.
    They'll do like TERA and say the market changed for the better and they need to change for better too. Despite Carbine saying P2P was the way to go 8 months before that. Sorta like Rift. "We will always be P2P!".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razael View Post
    They'll do like TERA and say the market changed for the better and they need to change for better too. Despite Carbine saying P2P was the way to go 8 months before that. Sorta like Rift. "We will always be P2P!".
    I can only hope they'll pull a Tera and create a fantastic F2P model that rewards previous purchases of the game appropriately. That would be ideal. I fear from their double talk already that subscribers will see little to nothing, similar to Rift's transition, when they do go F2P.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    TERA rewarded their original buyers well with the F2P plan.
    Rift rewards their new comers better with their F2P plan (Better shop imo).

Wildstar will take BOTH of those ideas when going F2P. Why? Because Wildstar is doing the same thing with their overall game

Deleted

Wildstar will take BOTH of those ideas when going F2P. Why? Because Wildstar is doing the same thing with their overall game
    This and 10chars

Please post constructively.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2013-10-19 at 05:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

I suppose i can agree with this. TERA and Rifts F2P models are pretty fair imo. If Wildstar does it similiarly it wouldn't be to bad, this is assuming they need to go F2P.

New footage just up

Oh, and the guy mentioned there will be DPS meter addon. Bads, you can now rage.
    Last edited by Molestron; 2013-10-18 at 10:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a rough quote: "European players have some lag, like 100ms, but it's not going to affect gameplay b/c telegraphs give you enough time to react"

/facepalm

Here's to you Euro players, you are screwed.

EDIT: This in no way means Carbine will not have Euro servers at launch, it's just a statement to their attitudes. Please read further for clarification.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2013-10-20 at 02:14 PM.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I'm interested in mmos anymore unless they can give me the level of customization Poe gives me, but I suppose I can still see how Wildstar ultimately turns out.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Here's a rough quote: "European players have some lag, like 100ms, but it's not going to affect gameplay b/c telegraphs give you enough time to react"

/facepalm

Here's to you Euro players, you are screwed.
    That's...a horrible mentality. Like, wow. I'm impressed at how dismissive that response (with the rough quote acknowledged) is. Like, there's no way to make not having local servers a good thing or a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's...a horrible mentality. Like, wow. I'm impressed at how dismissive that response (with the rough quote acknowledged) is. Like, there's no way to make not having local servers a good thing or a non-issue.
    I just sort of imagine a chula with 'addressable audience' for a name tag screaming 'im melting!' as he shrinks out of existence.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -