Well I didn't know there was a wintery zone named Whiteville -_-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Well I didn't know there was a wintery zone named Whiteville -_-
    Its not. Whitevale is a Level 22-30 Shared Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    I, on the other, would very much like to be just a side character, a random nobody. Player-centric story is for single player games.
    Even then it gets a bit much. 'Skyrim : LEADER of 6 different Guilds, a super dragon god, and builder of 3 houses!'
    'Bioshock Infinite : You are some weird quantum physics jumping guy with clunky gameplay who can kill hundreds with a hook'

Games (and their story) should still be about the person playing (this isn't a movie) but you can tone down the super hero stuff unless we are playing as Superman or something.

As for MMOs, somethimes WoW does put too much importance on [Insert name here] the [Insert race and class here] is the Wakener of Paragons and saver of gods (or spirits or whatever those things are) but there is some reference to you just being another soldier in the Alliance/Horde (like when you investigate the sha-touched footmen, Anduin dismisses you to your other duties as if you didn't do all the work, like a real boss).

If most story telling was done in raids (of 40-25 people so it feels like an army/strike team) instead of single player scenario quests you could just be a random nobody who hangs around the auction house while heroes go defeat bad guys if you wanted. Though theoretically you could do that in any MMO you wanted now, not sure what you would get out of the game though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yowser View Post
    Its not. Whitevale is a Level 22-30 Shared Zone.
    Yea I realized I had misread right after I posted. Weird that your quote shows the updated text though. That's bothersome.

But yea was mostly being annoyed at them for naming a wintery zone whiteville

Yea I realized I had misread right after I posted. Weird that your quote shows the updated text though. That's bothersome.

Yea they should name their Wintergrasp zone something like Death Valley or Tropico and surprise the people who land there in the dropship.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

They wanted to name it Crackertown, but they were afraid we would expect lots of parrots. True story...
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    ...That.. wouldnt be the only problem I expect Carbine would be forwarned about if they tried to name it that Kittyvicious. Still, Whitevale is kinda ..... lacking in naming. Its like something an exhausted explorer would name the place after having used up all the good names for other places heh.
    A Lie is a Lie until discovered, before that it is just someone elses Truth.
    Therefore, Truth is simply someones undiscovered Lie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemenar View Post
    ...That.. wouldnt be the only problem I expect Carbine would be forwarned about if they tried to name it that Kittyvicious. Still, Whitevale is kinda ..... lacking in naming. Its like something an exhausted explorer would name the place after having used up all the good names for other places heh.
    Sometimes calling it how you see it is an appropriate way to name a place. A vale covered in white snow could be snowvale or whitevale. TBH, Whitevale sounds like a Skyrim name. No sense calling it something ridiculous.

I mean if you think about it, most zones in MMOs are named like that unless they are all fictional proper nouns instead of geographical nomenclature. Giving a place a name like Velika isn't inherently more interesting than naming something Arathi Highlands or Whitevale for that matter.

Seeing that winter zones are my favorite, I already love the place.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    No sense calling it something ridiculous.
    Valley of Pearlescent Coloration
    Snowy Hills
    Cold Valley
    Winterstream
    Frozen River
    Tundra Vale
    That place Joe drowned at.

Yeah I agree with you, a location doesnt need to have a super creative name. Simple can sometimes be best. Although a name that gives the area some character isnt all that bad either: the Pillars of Creation, etc. No right or wrong way about it. I was just pointing out that "Whitevale" gave me that impression of an exhausted explorer climbing to the top of one side of the vale, looking down he sees a valley all covered in snow. Snow=white, valley with stream = vale, Whitevale, there, job done! :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmmm, dat winter zone.

Name it Whitevale or Crack Hills, I don't care. Give me winter zones and I'm happy.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

10+ Year Old Account
    Simple can sometimes be best. Although a name that gives the area some character isnt all that bad either
    Sure...but let's look at some famous locations:

Hobbiton (Hobbit Town)
    Misty Mountains (Misty Mountains)
    Rivendell (Split Valley - b/c of the River)

And this is from arguably the best fantasy linguistic expert ever. I mean he invented languages and still called places names like these. I'm not using this to argue or even disagree with what you are saying, merely mentioning somewhat rhetorically that names just are what they are and there's no sense even discussing the merits of them in a game or work of fiction.

I mean if a fantasy world labeled everything directionally like public schools, then sure, let's talk about how awful that is.

PS-

For fun, here's som ASoIaF Cities:
    King's Landing
    White Harbor
    Winterfell (though arguably this is the coolest name ever)
    Oldtown (yes, old town)
    Duskendale
    Dreadfort
    Duskenvale

I think the Wheel of Time is the only series I've read that avoids using any of these simplistic names for the most part. And even then we have Two Rivers and some others.

More or less this is nerd posting and a *shrug* I'm more interested in seeing Whitevale than talking about its name. They've proven some pretty neat capactiy for creativity with some of their other nomenclature and early lore to get me excited to be a scientist!
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    /scientist fistbump@Kitty
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

10+ Year Old Account
    More or less this is nerd posting and a *shrug* I'm more interested in seeing Whitevale than talking about its name.
    We're discussing an upcoming MMO, on a forum within a website dedicated to another gaming world. I think we've all gone beyond the need to point out we're nerds :P

I really dont have much more to say about the name of a place, we both pretty much agree in general. But it does just go to show, that Carbine needs to seriously up their WildStar Wednesdays cause we're starving so much for more information (well for the game to release already!) we winded up debating about the name Whitevale lol.

So, how about those class reveals? I don't think the mentioned them in that latest blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Champion View Post
    So, how about those class reveals? I don't think the mentioned them in that latest blog.
    I think they realized their basic gameplay systems (paths, perks, crafting) still required some work before they could make any sort of big announcement like new classes.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Sure...but let's look at some famous locations:

Hobbiton (Hobbit Town)
    Misty Mountains (Misty Mountains)
    Rivendell (Split Valley - b/c of the River)

I think the Wheel of Time is the only series I've read that avoids using any of these simplistic names for the most part. And even then we have Two Rivers and some others.
    OMG NO YOU DID NOT SAY SOMETHING BAD ABOUT TOLKIEN!! /bans Kitty (I don't even care if it is a valid point )

Wheel of time had some unique names... but then there are also a lot of names which were very similar which could make reading difficult if you weren't paying attention.

It's really less of a "no one else does this how dare you" thing and more "ugh whiteville is such a blah name" thing for me

Also crackville is hilarious

anyone know when the open beta start or if there is any beta key giveaways coming ?
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

10+ Year Old Account
    OMG NO YOU DID NOT SAY SOMETHING BAD ABOUT TOLKIEN!! /bans Kitty (I don't even care if it is a valid point )
    I certainly did not and would never. I actually praised him as the greatest fantasy linguist ever. I like simple names like Whitevale.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimand View Post
    anyone know when the open beta start or if there is any beta key giveaways coming ?
    Open Beta is a long way off. They are taking a Break for a while after the end of Closed Beta 3 next week. When they return (anything from 1-3 months from now) we know they have CBT4 and CBT5 to run, which are usually around 6 weeks long each. There may then be further closed Beta's before an Open Beta.

Also Carbine's Interpretation of an Open Beta is one that has the NDA removed, not necessarily one that is open to everyone.

They have said that they intend to run more "Pay it Forward" events, to give fans a chance to enter Beta, and they will be increasing the number of Beta invites through Stress tests as the Closed Beta's continue.
    Last edited by mmoc3f9c23ccd2; 2013-08-15 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yowser View Post
    Open Beta is a long way off. They are taking a Break for a while after the end of Closed Beta 3 next week. When they return (anything from 1-3 months from now) we know they have CBT4 and CBT5 to run, which are usually around 6 weeks long each. There may then be further closed Beta's before an Open Beta.

Also Carbine's Interpretation of an Open Beta is one that has the NDA removed, not necessarily one that is open to everyone.

They have said that they intend to run more "Pay it Forward" events, to give fans a chance to enter Beta, and they will be increasing the number of Beta invites through Stress tests as the Closed Beta's continue.
    So... if things happen as you say, we should expect Wildstar to be released around... the second quarter of 2014? That would be a bit of a schedule slip from "late 2013", but I've seen worse.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.