10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    Automatically alienating an obvious market segment because they cant play your game due to keybinding versus clicking is not bad from a market standpoint?

The combat they have gone with makes sense for what they're aiming for and will give them a shot at the whole spectrum of the MMO market. Asking a US consumer to "change their habits" to buy your product is going to be a pretty tough sell imo.
    Did you refuse to play on any other system than a Playstation because the controller was different?

Because I grew up playing my PS1, PS2, Gamecube, and Wii... and a computer. I have to stop using one control scheme and switch to another for every single game. In Okami, the main attack button is square and in Kingdom Hearts it's X, and those are on the same controller. So, like... how is swapping from clicking to keybinding or the other way around any different? Just get used to your new controller. :T

Just my opinion on it. I went from clicking to hybrid between clicking and keyboard to just keybinds to advanced keybinds (modifier macros and shift+1 being an ability on top of 1 to mouse buttons bound to keys and modified mouse buttons bound to keys) pretty easily, myself.

I'm not saying that this is what you're doing, but from what I can see, when people don't want to switch from clicking to keybinding, it's, like, a pride thing. "How dare you accuse me of not playing as well as you! I'm going to keep clicking just to spite you!" or something like that. And, well, my boyfriend clicked to heal (without grid/click) for years and he did just fine, but then he switched to keybinding when he needed to and he didn't throw a fit about it. It was just like getting used to your Gamecube controller after playing exclusively on Playstation systems.
    Last edited by Viscoe; 2013-08-23 at 07:12 PM.
    Pokemon FC: 5112-3501-2407 Trainer: Oli FS: Viscoe - Farfetch'd/Hoothoot/Rufflet - Currently Full, DO NOT ADD
    Secondary 3DS: 3668-8923-2263 FS: Slider - Phanpy/Camerupt/Diggersby

Quote Originally Posted by Viscoe View Post
    I'm not saying that this is what you're doing, but from what I can see, when people don't want to switch from clicking to keybinding, it's, like, a pride thing. "How dare you accuse me of not playing as well as you! I'm going to keep clicking just to spite you!" or something like that. And, well, my boyfriend clicked to heal (without grid/click) for years and he did just fine, but then he switched to keybinding when he needed to and he didn't throw a fit about it. It was just like getting used to your Gamecube controller after playing exclusively on Playstation systems.
    Eh it depends. Changing how you do things can be very difficult and often decreases performance while you are making the switch. For instance for years i competitively PvP'd just fine on my laptop with no mouse. I did all the movement stuff with my thumbs. Which I am sure sounds insane, but it's how I started and learned to do it. When I switched to using a mouse, it was awful at first. I am just saying it's not always about pride.

Quote Originally Posted by waddlez View Post
    You didn't read the last sentence? Just doing what you are all doing to W* based on other games. Also pretty sure the word Daily is on the top right of my GW2 UI.
    GW2 dailies (and the new EQ2 dailies) are far different than dailies in other MMO's like Rift, WoW, Tera or SWTOR. In those games, you get a specific quest to accomplish a specific goal to complete your daily, and those dailies are frequently needed for player progression as they gate reputation factions.

GW2 doesn't do that. GW2 daily (only one) allows you to accomplish it by taking part in a number of various activities that you would already be engaged in through normal play (run a dungeon, kill enemies in the water, harvest stuff, craft stuff, participate in a dynamic event etc.) rather than giving you a singular, specific task. Additionally, the laurals rewarded from it are in no way needed for player progression, as they don't reward any faction or anything that would be useful to anyone other than a fresh level 80.

Just because it shares a name, doesn't mean that it is designed the same way at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Eh it depends. Changing how you do things can be very difficult and often decreases performance while you are making the switch. For instance for years i competitively PvP'd just fine on my laptop with no mouse. I did all the movement stuff with my thumbs. Which I am sure sounds insane, but it's how I started and learned to do it. When I switched to using a mouse, it was awful at first. I am just saying it's not always about pride.
    Even though I play mostly Pc games these days its still hard for me to get into using a keyboard and mouse, don't like my hands being tied down to a desk.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    Even though I play mostly Pc games these days its still hard for me to get into using a keyboard and mouse, don't like my hands being tied down to a desk.
    I find using a keyboard and mouse a lot easier when I don't use restraints tethered to my furniture. Maybe that's where you went wrong?
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I find using a keyboard and mouse a lot easier when I don't use restraints tethered to my furniture. Maybe that's where you went wrong?
    Could be I'm a pretty casual Pc gamer so that could be it.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    Exactly and the people talking about it even mentions devs knowing its an issue which again leads to tuning.. and the latest beta builds and character progression were gear dependant. So maybe they just didnt articulate their problems with it very well.. but hey this is what beta is all about.
    I am talking about it being a tuning problem, and how it ultimately detracts from skill because it creates a barrier that you can not pass regardless of how well you play (which I don't mind as much).
    Zito does mind the latter aspect, at lot more than I do.

Remember? I described the combat as 'tolerable' when you use WACC? Zito said something about it being the same old shit with a new paint of coat? Do you read forums?
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    I am talking about it being a tuning problem, and how it ultimately detracts from skill because it creates a barrier that you can not pass regardless of how well you play (which I don't mind as much).
    Zito does mind the latter aspect, at lot more than I do.

Remember? I described the combat as 'tolerable' when you use WACC? Zito said something about it being the same old shit with a new paint of coat? Do you read forums?
    TERA pretty much ruined any combat style for MMO's for me. It feels like I'm doing something. I'll see how TESO plays out but from the one video I watch mobs seemed to stick to you like it does in W* and that annoys me for a game advertising action combat. I would be less peeved if W* wasn't saying it's more on the action side ala GW2 when... it is not even close.

The only time I ever aimed in W* was with the spellslinger when I use his stun that teleports you forwards (I had to turn around) but other then that I couldn't find a part where I needed to aim and kiting is irrelevant without some type of slow to avoid white damage which I had one at around lvl 18 I think but it bought me about 3 seconds and at that point I just had to walk backwards (strifing is pointless and won't get you any distance.)
    Last edited by zito; 2013-08-23 at 10:50 PM.

man i want to play wildstar soooooooo bad! i cant wait. then i can take a break from wow and be happy!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xecks View Post
    then i can take a break from wow and be happy!
    Nothing is preventing you from doing that right now. Friendly advice: If that's what you 'wait' on for new MMOs, you're never going to be happy. If you like a game, play it. If you don't, don't.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing is preventing you from doing that right now. Friendly advice: If that's what you 'wait' on for new MMOs, you're never going to be happy. If you like a game, play it. If you don't, don't.
    Or maybe he just enjoys WoW and hasn't found any other MMOs he's liked as much but thinks Wildstar could be enjoyable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Or maybe he just enjoys WoW and hasn't found any other MMOs he's liked as much but thinks Wildstar could be enjoyable.
    You're missing the point. But ok. Not to mention that he said taking a break from WoW would make him happy. That's not really a way I would talk about something I enjoy.
    BAD WOLF

You're missing the point. But ok. Not to mention that he said taking a break from WoW would make him happy. That's not really a way I would talk about something I enjoy.
    Addictions can cause a love/hate relationship.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Sure, but it's not productive conversation. The comment doesn't serve to do anything but vaguely bash WoW while placing false hopes in the next MMO Messiah.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    That's another thing I like about playing multiple MMOs. It makes periods where you have to detox a little more tolerable. I wouldn't even say I am addicted anymore because, while I probably play more than the average bear, when work gets crazy and I have to take anywhere from a week to three weeks off of gaming I don't get MMO pangs (anymore). They use to be terrible. Like, arathi basin cravings? Urgghh. AB weekend was like, no sleep... never sleep.

But I am glad Cata was so bad it broke me of that. Much healthier to play video games because you enjoy it, not because your anxiety spikes when you haven't played in 24 hours.

(also, house is a great avatar for saying something like that)
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2013-08-24 at 03:49 AM.

Completely agree with that. In fact, there was an article or well written post about stuns in LoL which I couldn't find to post when I was talking about it. I do think that the aspect of avoiding it is good gameplay, but unfortunately the game will auto aim for you which makes it the same as every other game. Since your dodge ability isn't immunity and only locational, you will probably be hit with the stun 99% of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Your post was a a textbook of example of all of the factually wrong information in this debate. He could have spent an entire forum page telling you that, but he decided to be concise. If you'd like us to line by line refute your post, please let us know. There's at least 6 people who will do it for you.

Though you could just read the last 10 pages to accomplish the same effect. We go round and round in circles, chasing our tails and the unicorn whirls.
    Um, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they took out auto snap for aiming and the like. Everything is freeform (skillshot like) targeting based now as per this video.

At the 1:08 mark or so it says that you have to aim actively and it won't "snap" back on target. If you know something more to tell please. (or if I'm out of date)
    Last edited by Mmoplayer111; 2013-08-24 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmoplayer111 View Post
    Um, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they took out auto snap for aiming and the like. Everything is freeform (skillshot like) targeting based now as per this video.

At the 1:08 mark or so it says that you have to aim actively and it won't "snap" back on target. If you know something more to tell please. (or if I'm out of date)
    Nah. If you watch one of their convention clips "most" or "almost all" abilities are aimed (like 100 pages back). Not all. There's several single target abilities in the game that are auto aimed. Basically, if it's single target, the game handles it for you. Next build? Who knows.

Is the beta still in offline status atm?

10+ Year Old Account
    Right, because only the truly acute could spot such a perplexing point. The line i can take a break from wow and be happy has more than one interpretation, i.e. not wanting to leave the thing you enjoy until you find something you can enjoy as much or more, which was my point but I'll just leave you to assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Spard View Post
    Is the beta still in offline status atm?
    Yes. And CTB4 won't start for a while.