10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I imagine the dye system is going to work exactly like GW2, except you will have to pay gold every time you apply it much like WoW's transmog. Like I said before, when they offer subscription time for in game currency, they are going to operate much like a cash shop inside the game. They are going to nickel and dime you with gold sinks to try and force most normal players into paying for a subscription with real money.
    I see nothing wrong with that. I rather grid gold and buy this stuff than give the real money. And i am totaly ok with a sub. It keeps toxic players out.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    And i am totaly ok with a sub. It keeps toxic players out.
    No.

It does not.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    I see nothing wrong with that. I rather grid gold and buy this stuff than give the real money. And i am totaly ok with a sub. It keeps toxic players out.
    I think you misunderstand the concept. In order for Carbine to make money, they have to put enough sinks that you never have gold. They have to place a large percentage of their player base in poverty. It's the exact same principle as restricting things to drive you to the cash shop. It's not different at all. Subscriptions also do not keep toxic players out like Unholy said. That's a load of crap.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    No.

It does not.
    This.

Some of the worst communities I've run into were subscription MMO communities. There are also some terrible F2P communities.

The way the developer structures the social aspects of their PvE / PvP design, in large part, determine how players interact with one another.

IE: FF14 player commendation system. Do you want a gilded magitek mount? Better not be a dick.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion, all P2P really does? Is give people another reason to stop playing a game. Assholes are not just poor or cheap. Assholes are assholes. P2P even gives them another reason to be, well, assholes.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    In my opinion, all P2P really does? Is give people another reason to stop playing a game. Assholes are not just poor or cheap. Assholes are assholes. P2P even gives them another reason to be, well, assholes.
    True. P2P actually just adds on 'privileged' to a list of adjectives to describe them.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Assholes honestly don't need a reason to be assholes

I imagine the dye system is going to work exactly like GW2, except you will have to pay gold every time you apply it much like WoW's transmog. Like I said before, when they offer subscription time for in game currency, they are going to operate much like a cash shop inside the game. They are going to nickel and dime you with gold sinks to try and force most normal players into paying for a subscription with real money.
    I really hope not. As an altoholic, trying to get rare dyes for 6+ characters is completely unfeasible. At least the only methods of acquisition they mentioned were dye vendors and renown, so hopefully dyes can't be sold on the auction house for ridiculous prices.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

I think you misunderstand the concept. In order for Carbine to make money, they have to put enough sinks that you never have gold. They have to place a large percentage of their player base in poverty. It's the exact same principle as restricting things to drive you to the cash shop. It's not different at all. Subscriptions also do not keep toxic players out like Unholy said. That's a load of crap.
    I'm not really clear on this. When you buy your subscription using gold, isn't it just buying it from a player who paid real money for it? So no matter how you obtained it, you know that someone paid cash for it at some point. Wouldn't that mean that they're not losing any money off of it?

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    I'm not really clear on this. When you buy your subscription using gold, isn't it just buying it from a player who paid real money for it? So no matter how you obtained it, you know that someone paid cash for it at some point. Wouldn't that mean that they're not losing any money off of it?
    I would even say they are making more money this way, as, if I remember correctly, the CREDD cost more than the regular monthly fee. Its basically a way for people to pay 19.99$ (instead of 14.99) and sell it for gold in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Assholes honestly don't need a reason to be assholes
    as an asshole, i can attest to this. believe you, me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    I tried to keep it simple, but you are right in a way. There's a catch though. The more people that are poor, the higher the chance someone will spend extra money to sell CREDD. Also the higher the chance that someone will simply pay their own subscription instead of using currency. Essentially the only people that they want using CREDD regularly to fund their subscription are Economy Sharks that are having their way with a heavily regulated market. The rest of the 98% are going to be involved in the system I mentioned above.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    When now most people are having money problems
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

The difference between P2P and F2P is that assholes need to think twice before being assholes. What happens if an asshole loses a F2P account? "Whatever, I'll just start a new one". In a P2P game, especially an MMORPG, it means losing everything they worked for - achievements, titles, mounts, everything. And I hope assholes WILL be getting banned in Wildstar if they ruin experience of enough people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Deleted
    I'm a bit iffy with a game since it has Ncsoft connection. Also wondering about how the new content will be implemented after launch. Can't stomach anything similar to living story anymore
    Last edited by mmocdddb5c80e5; 2014-01-31 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    The difference between P2P and F2P is that assholes need to think twice before being assholes. What happens if an asshole loses a F2P account? "Whatever, I'll just start a new one". In a P2P game, especially an MMORPG, it means losing everything they worked for - achievements, titles, mounts, everything. And I hope assholes WILL be getting banned in Wildstar if they ruin experience of enough people.
    Incorrect. If an asshole loses a F2P account with hundreds of hours invested in getting to max level and getting gear, that's a pretty big loss, and not one that many people are willing to go back and do all over again.

Losing a geared out character in any MMO is a huge loss in time. The only difference between losing it in a F2P game compared to a P2P game is that the P2P has a certain dollar value associated with their account based on how long they've played, while a F2P player may or may not have spent money on the game.

So any estimates to when WildStar's gonna be out ? I'm growing incredibly bored of WoW - haven't played in it weeks, no desire to... even though I got 6 month's sub for it.

Im sure it's been mentioned somewhere in here, but the search function is not working for me. Has there been a timeline for beta invites? Are they coming in Waves or more randomly? Im curious because Ive been signed up for quite a while and haven't heard anything.

-snip-
    I never thought about the need to create the desire to sell CREDD in the first place. Too much gold and no one needs to sell them. Although alternatively, too little people with gold and the market for it dwindles. Still, your analysis sounds more accurate than my line of thinking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    So any estimates to when WildStar's gonna be out ? I'm growing incredibly bored of WoW - haven't played in it weeks, no desire to... even though I got 6 month's sub for it.
    I'm hearing "Spring," or "Summer," at the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by moveth View Post
    Im sure it's been mentioned somewhere in here, but the search function is not working for me. Has there been a timeline for beta invites? Are they coming in Waves or more randomly? Im curious because Ive been signed up for quite a while and haven't heard anything.
    There really isn't a set schedule anymore but they generally seem to go out, in batches, on Mondays. They had a couple of "friend key" promotions and there are still some giveaways going on that are left over from it. You can also check here as sometimes people do blind offers.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.