Quote Originally Posted by Agent Drew View Post
    Why people keep going into W*W expecting an E3 type announcement everyweek is beyond me.
    E3 type? Yea that sounds about right since they didn't show anything new at all for E3 lol. I can see why they aren't saying a whole lot considering all the big changes they are still making to the game. 2013 seems incredibly unlikely at this point. Addons don't really have anything to do with the game itself either. They basically said "we like and encourage addons". Any developer should really, considering it's free content for their game. How many people would quit WoW right now if you got rid of addons? The tens of millions of downloads suggest it would be a lot.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghier View Post
    2013 seems incredibly unlikely at this point
    I agree...but they were pretty adamant. Especially since they say they are working 2 CBT behind in terms of updating documentation. Though it also means they make changes very quickly. I get the overall impression they are very knowledgable with their engine and programming capabilities are above average compared to some other companies.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Ghier View Post
    E3 type? Yea that sounds about right since they didn't show anything new at all for E3 lol.
    That was just a figure of speech. The point is, there's no reason for people to get so impatient, the game is months away.

I wouldn't root out 2013 release yet, though. We don't know how far along in high level content development they are, it may very well be that they are already finishing it up and preparing for testing.

I imagine the next big information output for them will be at Gamescom.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I imagine the next big information output for them will be at Gamescom.
    This. There are so many things they haven't talked about yet and with the game less than a year off launch(hopefully) all the information will come streaming out in one go as Carbine stop iterating through their CBT's. I expect we'll see the new races and classes officially announced at Gamescom even though everything is already out there if you want to find it.

I want to hear more about elder games though, everything said so far as got me more and more excited about it. Certainly going to appeal to the TBC/Vanilla type player, can't wait.
    Last edited by mmocd42035da1b; 2013-07-07 at 10:49 AM.

They're gonna be at comiccon the 19th with new info.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShimmerSwirl View Post
    They're gonna be at comiccon the 19th with new info.
    Perhaps we'll get a new devspeak video?
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gief class reveal!

Got all my eggs in this basket. This game's gotta be great, because nothing else is worth playing right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wdmshmo View Post
    Got all my eggs in this basket.
    nothing else is worth playing right now.
    After carefully reviewing your statement, I quoted the problem areas. As any wise grandmother knows, putting all your eggs in one basket is the sure path to failure and disappointment. Additionally, there are several games worth playing, but it might take a reevalution of how/why you play games/mmos.

I don't mean this disrespectfully, but I had a similarly narrow view some years ago and it took opening up a bit to realize the possibility for maximum enjoyment from a plethora of games. Be it indies on Steam or F2P MMOs, there are a lot of games out there worth playing.
    BAD WOLF

Got all my eggs in this basket. This game's gotta be great, because nothing else is worth playing right now.
    My eggs are in the EQNext basket. They at least are talking about doing new things. I have the worst fears for Wildstar that it will be another transient jaded post-WoW game that gets dropped in a couple months by the majority of players.

I was hyped for Wildstar for a month or so but the more I hear about it and things like hard factions make me worry that they lack creativity/conviction to make something more than a flash-in-the-pan mmo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hailey View Post
    I was hyped for Wildstar for a month or so but the more I hear about it and things like hard factions make me worry that they lack creativity/conviction to make something more than a flash-in-the-pan mmo
    I would love to hear reasons that support the idea that they lack creativity and/or conviction. Even stating that makes it sound like you haven't read about or watched anything they've put out about the game.

Whether you like what they are doing or not isn't up for debate, nor would I judge you in that, but your statement implies a lack of knowledge about their actual doings and pretty much anything about the game.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by hailey View Post
    My eggs are in the EQNext basket. They at least are talking about doing new things. I have the worst fears for Wildstar that it will be another transient jaded post-WoW game that gets dropped in a couple months by the majority of players.

Wildstar isn't doing what a lot of MMOs tried to do over the past few years. Most MMOs tried to make something new, a hook for new players. They tried to add features to the genre features like invasions, voice acting, cut scenes, storytelling, vehicle combat, housing, ect ect ect. The features that were successful were picked up by WoW within a year or two, removing the new MMOs claim to uniqueness.
    Wildstar seems to be doing what WoW has done for 8 years. They are taking a ton of features that over games have innovated and bundling them into a single game. It's a good strategy, business wise, because you basically allow other people to do the R&D for you, for free, and you just make improvements to it by simplifying the UI or adding a few things.

(Basically, being creative is risky. There's tons of features spread across many MMOs that could use refinement and incorporation. Wildstar doesn't have to reinvent the wheel to be successful.)

We are the Wildstar. Your game design distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2013-07-09 at 01:29 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    (Basically, being creative is risky. There's tons of features spread across many MMOs that could use refinement and incorporation. Wildstar doesn't have to reinvent the wheel to be successful.)
    And being creative isn't solely tied to invention, or even innovation. Sure, they can play a role, but implementation is often where creativity shines. Knowing how to fuse together other ideas into a cohesive, 'new' concept is sometimes an artform.

It's pretty much what Apple has profited on since the iPod.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    And being creative isn't solely tied to invention, or even innovation. Sure, they can play a role, but implementation is often where creativity shines. Knowing how to fuse together other ideas into a cohesive, 'new' concept is sometimes an artform.

It's pretty much what Apple has profited on since the iPod.
    ^

And so it's 100% clear, I think refining features is absolutely necessary for the genre. It increases standards and results in future MMOs being better.

Rifts housing, for example, many people found it unwieldy. Now, it's an amazing feature that deserves praise but, for broader appeal, wildstar simplified it in their design to make it so more people could enjoy it.
    GW2's player designed arenas, not sure if it's out yet (haven't checked) but Wildstar is going to have player designed battlegrounds with traps and mobs and bosses ect. They added a bit more to it because they know how people are going to enjoy fiddling with the metagame, particularly high end PVPers.
    The ability system allows you to have combat like WoW or GW2 or NWO depending on which abilities you equip (and which addon you use) reaching a broader range of players. They didn't make a new system, just made it so you can have multiple systems.
    I mean, not to go too far into any NDA stuff but it's pretty clear that their goal is to start with what works and make it better.

I suspect that this game will have some staying power (not 10 million players but still a good player base. Maybe 750k-1.5m?)
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I don't know I think they are doing a few things which are pretty new. The biggest one to me (ok yes I am biased because I love this concept I admit it) is the whole concept of circles. I know no one has talked about that in awhile but I haven't really seen anything like that in any other MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I don't know I think they are doing a few things which are pretty new. The biggest one to me (ok yes I am biased because I love this concept I admit it) is the whole concept of circles. I know no one has talked about that in awhile but I haven't really seen anything like that in any other MMO.
    Go home Google+, you're drunk.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Go home Google+, you're drunk.
    /eyeroll

And google+ isn't an MMO it doesn't count!!!! AHHHHH

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    And google+ isn't an MMO it doesn't count!!!! AHHHHH
    Massively: check
    Multiplayer: check
    Online: check
    Games: check

Analysis complete. Google+ is an MMO. And it's even F2P!

winwinwinwin.

Seriously though, it's a cool feature but it seems like it's tailored to extremely social groups of people. This means I will likely never take advantage of it.
    BAD WOLF

Hoping Wildstar starts off with a bang. If it doesn't, I'll play it until it does. I need a replacement for WoW.

At least Carbine now knows what to do mostly(they should). After so many botched MMO launches, Wildstar now knows a lot of things to avoid/do at launch to make it a non terrible launch.