Quote Originally Posted by Pion View Post
    hmm nice truth in your corrected statement ^^

maybe i should rethink my approach on F2P games.
    TERA, GW2, NWO, PoE (oh god path of exile for the hardcore), Rift is what I recommend to start with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    TERA, GW2, NWO, PoE (oh god path of exile for the hardcore), Rift is what I recommend to start with.
    but but i dont like the rift sub model.. i feel the subscription isnt worth it and isnt there a real money tradable currency. I like to support games i play and enjoy but im not going to spend money on some shit i dont want or need.. which is exactly how i feel with rift (im only low level).

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    but but i dont like the rift sub model.. i feel the subscription isnt worth it and isnt there a real money tradable currency. I like to support games i play and enjoy but im not going to spend money on some shit i dont want or need.. which is exactly how i feel with rift (im only low level).
    So... Don't buy a patron status?
    >_>
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    But even Swtor's F2P model is better than a subscription only game.
    If you go and make a swtor account, get 40 dollars with of Cartel coins (and spend 20 dollars on Makeb) to make up for the lack of a 60 dollar box cost and then spend 15 dollars a month in either cartel coins or a subscription, it's pretty much the same thing as a subscription only game except you end up with a lot of perks.(and it has more players (and thus payers) than if it were subscription only)
    I agree with you. Still thinks that the F2P model SWTOR use is a joke since it is almost impossible to play without paying rather much in cartel coins early.
    There is so many better F2P models to look at. I used to play SWTOR back in the sub days, and even tried it again when it went F2P, but a few friends of mine that just started a F2P account grow tired rather quick since you really needed to pay money fast to be able to play. RIFT you can play rather long without needing a new bag or alt slot, at least so long that you have gotten a good feel for the game.
    A good F2P model shall not force you to pay, it shall give most thing for free, and when you are hooked enough you gladly pay for the extra features and comfort, because you are already hooked.

Then instead of spending $15 on an optional sub spend the $15 on something else in the game like an extra bag slot or 3 - 6 piece sets of clothes since they are about $5 each or something else you want.

Or better yet don't buy anything and just play the game.

Then instead of spending $15 on an optional sub spend the $15 on something else in the game like an extra bag slot or 3 - 6 piece sets of clothes since they are about $5 each or something else you want.
    Or an orange armored panda.

Or an orange armored panda.
    with fangs

FANGS

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So... Don't buy a patron status?
    >_>
    Apparently the idea of spending the equivalent $15/mo in a cash shop, but now getting to buy whatever you want with it is just too much freedom to comprehend. And I'm not picking fun at him, because it sounds like a large portion of people share this same view. I honestly just don't comprehend it.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2013-06-25 at 02:35 PM. Reason: lol metaphor
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Apparently the idea of spending the equivalent $15/mo in a cash shop, but now getting to buy whatever you want with it is just too much freedom to comprehend. And I'm not picking fun at him, because it sounds like a large portion of people share this same view. I honestly just don't comprehend it.
    i think its more about value for money.. full access to the game for a month or two bag slots for a character. I think id rather have the full access and if youre going to offer a subscription then imo it should offer full access (even if its viewed as renting).

i think its more about value for money.. full access to the game for a month or two bag slots for a character. I think id rather have the full access and if youre going to offer a subscription then imo it should offer full access (even if its viewed as renting).

you already have full access to the game FOR FREE. Patron status isn't a subscription hence why it's called Patron. So if you have to spend $15 just to satisfy the left side of your brain spend it on something you want from the store and isn't bag slots like $2 each? Not 7...

Deleted

you already have full access to the game FOR FREE. Patron status isn't a subscription hence why it's called Patron. So if you have to spend $15 just to satisfy the left side of your brain spend it on something you want from the store and isn't bag slots like $2 each? Not 7...
    no i dont.. i dont full character slots, full bag slots etc etc.

£10 gives u 2300 credits? its like 1700 for 2 bag slots.. so i guess its 2.5 bags.

That's how it was designed from here on (veterans of the game got rewards like bag slots and character slots, credits, loyality etc). You still get bag slots and character slots, meaning you still have full access to the game you wanting more =/= not having full access. And do you need more? Unless you are an altoholic no. Bag slots are only saving you a trip to the bank

£10 gives u 2300 credits? its like 1700 for 2 bag slots.
    Could of sworn it was cheaper.

10+ Year Old Account
    But here's the thing that a lot of people I think don't realize...and maybe it's both problematic and beneficial at the same time...

In Rift's F2P system, spending your $15 a month increases the amount of the game you 'own' as time goes on. If you spent $15 in the cash shop each month, eventually you would have all of the things you desired...'forever'. The thing is, this is a long term strategy really. In a subscription based game, you get all of that right now and for as long as you pay, but you lose them if you ever stop paying.

The problem is that the longer you play a subscriptiong game, the less value your $15 has when compared to a F2P game. When you pick up Rift 2 years from now after unlocking everything, you won't have to pay anything else in order to access it all. You have earned your stuff.

It's the difference between renting and leasing if we want to look at it objectively. Some people prefer renting, because it gives them the freedom to pick up and move on, but their money also isn't doing anything for them. So honestly I can see why their are hangups from both sides, but this is a video game.

Having the ability to pick up a game and play it later is always a great thing, imo.

Edit:

But yeah to be fair, this game only has 4 classes. You get half of those already. This isn't like SWTOR where they give you 6 slots, but there are technically 8 stories, 8 classes, and 16 visually different classes with the option of LS/DS for RP purposes.

Unlocks go a long, long way in Rift.
    BAD WOLF

£10 gives u 2300 credits? its like 1700 for 2 bag slots.. so i guess its 2.5 bags.
    Then buy all the boxes, chocolate and storm legion, and then you get like 6 bag slots and 6 character slots.
    You would have to do that if it was a subscription game.

Stop comparing spending 10 dollars in a F2P game to spending 60+ in a P2P game. Unless you spend the same amount of money in both games then you are doing a piss poor job comparing them.

Deleted
    yep i agree.. offering one and not the other is the problem.

this is what i want.. this is what i see as being fair to both the developer and the player. You pick how you play and pay.

Then buy all the boxes, chocolate and storm legion, and then you get like 6 bag slots and 6 character slots.
    You would have to do that if it was a subscription game.
    what? no i wouldnt. im comparing a good hybrid model to what imo is a bad hybrid model.

Stop comparing spending 10 dollars in a F2P game to spending 60+ in a P2P game. Unless you spend the same amount of money in both games then you are doing a piss poor job comparing them.
    lol again.. what?
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2013-06-25 at 03:02 PM.

snip
    So you basically want a F2P game that offers a subscription that "upgrades" your account instead of a F2P game with no subscription, full access to the game and you can spend your money on individual things that a "upgrade subscription" would of had.

/facepalm

It's basically the same thing it's just your upgrades (like bag slots and character slots) are tied to a subscription instead of you having the freedom to choose what you want.
    Last edited by zito; 2013-06-25 at 03:06 PM.

So you basically want a F2P game that offers a subscription that "upgrades" your account instead of a F2P game with no subscription, full access to the game and you can spend your money on individual things that a "upgrade subscription" would of had.

/facepalm

It's basically the same thing it's just your upgrades are tied to a subscription instead of you having the freedom to choose what you want.
    I think KV has the right of it.
    People can't handle that level of freedom.

It's probably due to a fear of making a mistake. "Do I need a new bag slot? Oh noes! Decisions!"

Deleted
    I think KV has the right of it.
    People can't handle that level of freedom.

It's probably due to a fear of making a mistake. "Do I need a new bag slot? Oh noes! Decisions!"
    talking about freedom.. yet i give u a perfect example of how you can satisfy everyone by giving people the choices of what content they want, how they want to pay for it... lol. yes im the one who has the problem with levels of freedom.

paying for bag slots, character slots, content packs etc separately works fine if you do play the game constantly over a long period of time.. however if i want to just pick it up every now and again its far better if i pay a monthly sub and get everything. Offering both these options is bad? /mind boggles.
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2013-06-25 at 03:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah while I love LotRO's model, it pales drastically in comparison to Rift's. Rift gives you the game with a minor handful of restrictions. yes, you will want to alleviate those (bag slots, characters slots) but after that...what do you need? New souls? That's probably about it.

This is a game where you get all content, but you have to upgrade 2 convenience features and pay for the expansion souls. You don't even have to pay for the actual expansion. To the contrary, LOTRO requires that you pay for the expansions just like it was buying a box. Granted, they make it amazing because you can buy the quest packs individually from them, you can earn coins in the game, and buy content like expansions with those coins...but you still are limited in what you can play.

If they hadn't nailed those little details down, LotRO would be right up there with the worst F2P imaginable since it restricts content heavily. You are basically saying you want a heavily restricted F2P game with a susbcription option so you don't have to worry about choosing anything. That's not really logical or good in any way.

I thought I understood what you meant when comparing renting vs leasing, but now I just don't understand why you would want what you described at all.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    lotro gives u nearly everything.. u can purchase everything in the eshop if u dont like the subscription. If you dont have a subscription then you get to pick the content you like.. dont like pvp? dont buy anything pvp related etc.