1. #2881
    Banned Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,629
    I can't believe I hadn't seen that video before. This is totally not helpful, but I'm completely hyped for this game. It is my next MMO, without question. Every video, factoid, interview that comes out only reaffirms that I'm going to play this even more.

    This is going to be a long year

  2. #2882
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I can't believe I hadn't seen that video before. This is totally not helpful, but I'm completely hyped for this game. It is my next MMO, without question. Every video, factoid, interview that comes out only reaffirms that I'm going to play this even more.

    This is going to be a long year
    I feel your pain, I want this game now!

  3. #2883
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    From the videos I have seen its mostly gw2's combat, their visual cues are just done better but its the same combat system. The jumping does set it apart though, since it doesn't use the shitty jumping use in other mmos.
    http://youtu.be/r2WIWQLWNUE?t=1m27s

    1:31

    Freeform combat, your attacks do telegraphs. Not close to GW2 combat. The tab targeting which they also have is more GW2 combat.

    It's more close to TERA combat minus the crosshair

  4. #2884
    Quote Originally Posted by TranceMonster View Post
    Ah, yeah. That's not quite what I mean.

    You see how there is a targeting marker underneath the mob? So if you use like your basic gun attack, it will hit that target. You don't have to aim. Now, you've had to aim AOE for a long time in MMOs, it's nothing new (IE: hunter's volley). Combat mode makes it more like a 3rd person hack and slash / 3rd person shooter. You end up with a cross hair and have to aim ALL of your attacks.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Recluse - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Rhino- Dreadnought - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  5. #2885
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    yea the animations as well, forgot to mention that in gw you wouldn't see most of those attacks coming.
    Well you could if the spell effects were toned down.

  6. #2886
    Brewmaster Newbryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Leaving
    Posts
    1,339
    i was gonna reply to you zito but pretty much what bardarian said, while the visual cues do make it more interesting the basic control scheme is still the same.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

  7. #2887
    I am not saying that the game should be changed... Just that someone make the mod for me, please
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Recluse - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Rhino- Dreadnought - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  8. #2888
    And I thought I was the big fps guy. I'm not really bothered by not having that fps style targeting in an mmo.

  9. #2889
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    i was gonna reply to you zito but pretty much what bardarian said, while the visual cues do make it more interesting the basic control scheme is still the same.
    You don't have to aim in GW2, it auto follows unless you dodge. You aim in wildstar like reticule combat so no the basic control scheme isn't the same.. hence why it's called freeform combat and tab target combat separate.

  10. #2890
    Brewmaster Newbryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Leaving
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    I am not saying that the game should be changed... Just that someone make the mod for me, please
    me neither i would just enjoy a mod as well, after all there are still plenty of people who enjoy the hybrid style.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

  11. #2891
    Banned Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    me neither i would just enjoy a mod as well, after all there are still plenty of people who enjoy the hybrid style.
    Considering they are heavy advocates of modding their game and have already released tools to enable modders to create even better applications...I'm fairly certain there will be a mod that is just like Tera in terms of action combat. I'm not sure if projectiles can miss like in Tera, or if all ranged attacks have templates for aiming, that's all coding and nothing to do with the UI...but I'm sure they can change it to mouse aim for general purposes.

    I also expect that if this game becomes popular you will see more and better addons than we have ever seen in an MMO, since they are already planning on being so invested in the process to the point of figuring out ways to reward modders and take their work to implement permanently in the game.

  12. #2892
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    You don't have to aim in GW2, it auto follows unless you dodge. You aim in wildstar like reticule combat so no the basic control scheme isn't the same.. hence why it's called freeform combat and tab target combat separate.
    There is no auto follow in GW2

  13. #2893
    Brewmaster Newbryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Leaving
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    You don't have to aim in GW2, it auto follows unless you dodge. You aim in wildstar like reticule combat so no the basic control scheme isn't the same.. hence why it's called freeform combat and tab target combat separate.
    I don't play many classes but I'm certain you have to aim whirlwind attack on gs warrior.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

  14. #2894
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    There is no auto follow in GW2
    Projectiles in gw2 will auto follow the target, you do not have to aim. Freeform you have to aim with the telegraph in wildstar. That's why there is two combat modes you can do in the game. Freeform or tab target.

    ---------- Post added 2013-05-17 at 02:52 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    I don't play many classes but I'm certain you have to aim whirlwind attack on gs warrior.
    Yes there are some skills in gw2 you have to aim but the basics of it is you don't have to aim since its tab target. But it is not freeform combat. But melee is a differnt story.

  15. #2895
    Banned Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,629
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    But melee is a differnt story.
    Not really though. It's hardly any different than standard hotkey as you have to be facing your target to use those actions as well. GW2 is faux action combat, for sure. Doesn't mean it's bad, but no class is action combat in that game without addons.

  16. #2896
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Not really though. It's hardly any different than standard hotkey as you have to be facing your target to use those actions as well. GW2 is faux action combat, for sure. Doesn't mean it's bad, but no class is action combat in that game without addons.
    That's not the debate. The debate is that freeform combat =/= gw2 combat.

    Wildstar tab target is basically gw2 combat but freeform where you have to aim everything because that's why it's called freeform is not gw2 combat. Freeform is closer to TERA combat just there is no visual crosshair instead there is telegraphs (shown in the video)

    A warrior in GW2 doesn't have to aim his gap closers (except the GS one) you just target the guy, turn ur back to him and use charge and ur there. That isn't freeform.

  17. #2897
    Banned Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,629
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    That's not the debate.
    Which is fine. It doesn't make it any less accurate regarding GW2. Many people think that is 'action combat' and thus saying that combat in Wildstar is similar (in one mode) instantly makes them think it will be as lame as GW2 (in their minds) and thus don't realize the potential for the two modes as it applies here.

  18. #2898
    Well I guess my definition is a bit different. Freeform to me is when you can attack without having anything targeted, which is the case in GW2.

  19. #2899
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    That's not the debate. The debate is that freeform combat =/= gw2 combat.

    Wildstar tab target is basically gw2 combat but freeform where you have to aim everything because that's why it's called freeform. Freeform is closer to TERA combat just there is no visual crosshair instead there is telegraphs.

    A warrior in GW2 doesn't have to aim his gap closers (except the GS one) you just target the guy, turn ur back to him and use charge and ur there. That's isnt freeform.
    But that's not correct. There are countless videos showing attacks that are NOT free form.

    (in fact, in the video you linked, the esper uses an instant cast while moving that launches a blueish orb at the target without aiming)
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Recluse - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Rhino- Dreadnought - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  20. #2900
    just made it wow combat kthx

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •