The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Well, the issue I had was that 'gating' was used in the negative sense as though one system is gating while the other is not. Which doesn't really make sense, contextually, thus my reply. God damn semantics. :P
    Heh...yeah WoW forums are where gating is being discussed heavily in the negative connotation. Though to be fair, it's referring to a lot of artificial and arbitrary gating like only letting you get x amount of rep a day or how dailies were when they initially launched. Gating isn't inherently bad as it's how the devs want their game to be played. If their motives are suspect, then it's questionably received, but not wanting you to be able to do x acitivity yet, or go to y place, isn't 'bad' if you catch what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by KazWiz View Post
    Like people said about rift: it will be the WoW killer
    It's people like you that even introduce that concept. We haven't been uttering anything like that. Sooo yeah. Maybe it's just WoW people who label things WoW killers in order to turn around and say it failed. Perspective.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    It's people like you that even introduce that concept. We haven't been uttering anything like that. Sooo yeah. Maybe it's just WoW people who label things WoW killers in order to turn around and say it failed. Perspective.
    It's the "my dad can beat up your dad" kind of people.
    They jump into a thread, say something like "MY GAME IS THE BEST GAME" and then run from the thread.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by KazWiz View Post
    To be honest, i think Wildstar will be alittle like Rift... It will last for 1 - 4 months, and people will be bored off it. Like people said about rift: it will be the WoW killer. O really, everyone of my friends bought Rift, i didn't. They played it for 2 months, and they all came back to WoW. All i said was: I told you so. And i think it will be just the same with Wildstar, not to mention the game looks like shit if you ask me. A deffo non-buy for me. I'll stick to WoW.
    Rift ended up shittily because it was -trying- to be a wow killer. It's tagline was "You're not in Azeroth anymore". Now, it's not to say Rift is horrid. It could have been such a well-done game. There was a lot of things I absolutely adore about it (although I only played for two months because - see paragraph 2). The same thing happened to swtor and all my buddies who abandoned to play it. The companies that market their product to be a WoW killer automatically defeat themselves. That's not to say one day there won't be a wow killer. Eventually WoW will die, but I don't see it dying fast. I see it dying a slow and painful death, not due to competition, but because it's biggest enemy is itself.

GW2 didn't market to a WoW killer audience. In fact, they made it to where their game works perfectly alongside WoW because it's just a B2P with a few updates here and there, but mostly pretty casual. You can still continue to play WoW and this game without sacrificing tons of money. The P2P market however, is dominated by WoW. I'm sorry, but most MMORPG (P2P model) gamers play WoW. And the other games with P2P models (on release) did horribly because not all of us can afford to play more than one game and the new game just doesn't have such a nice foothold. It's like home for a lot of people. You might hate your home and you might want to move away, but you can't afford two houses and you gotta make a choice. WoW has a sense of security about it, and people like to feel secure.

I don't see Wildstar being a WoW killer and I don't think it's devs or fans really do either. I do see a lot of potential for fun and enjoyment in it though, and I'm definitely looking forward to trying it out.
    Last edited by Lycanroc; 2013-04-30 at 05:54 PM.

Shhhh.... if you listen closely, you can hear the actual Wildstar discussion.

Let's keep it on topic, folks. Nobody's going to agree on which previous games were "WoW killers" so there's no point in bringing it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Shhhh.... if you listen closely, you can hear the actual Wildstar discussion
    Wildstar Beta is currently under NDA without the ability to even say you are in it. Thought you should add it to the sticky. Just an FYI.
    BAD WOLF

Wildstar Beta is currently under NDA without the ability to even say you are in it. Thought you should add it to the sticky. Just an FYI.
    I was working on that the other night when a sudden power outage appeared and cast Devour Post. It was super effective!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    I was working on that the other night when a sudden power outage appeared and cast Devour Post. It was super effective!
    Ok...I didn't know since I hadn't heard from you or see it get updated. Now I know you are just being a slacker.
    BAD WOLF

I'm super curious about the last 2 classes since the first 4 don't peak my interest.

I know we should be sticking to Wildstar discussion in the Wildstar thread but the "MMO competition" ideal is something that really bugs me and IS relevant to the topic overall.

A game released today needs to make sure that it sets itself apart from the competition to garner attention. Yet it also needs to make sure that it excels at the things that have come to be taken as a gimme in this WoW-esque age. So how the heck do people balance that? I am really REALLY rooting for both this and ESO so that I can see that there's at least SOME possibility for the genre to tear away from the WoW-mania.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    No one is calling this a wow killer. The only people who are using "wow killer" are the people who come in here claiming that people are calling it a wow killer.

Also, Rift is still going strong. It's been out for more than 4 months.

What are you doing in this thread, exactly?
    Stating my opinion. And actually, alot of people have said its the WoW killer. Just not on here. Rift, hahaha..... Don't even get me started. It was so hyped up, whcih is probably the same case with Wildstar. I'll give it a shot though, after re-thinking. And, i'm here to read others opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    A game released today needs to make sure that it sets itself apart from the competition to garner attention. Yet it also needs to make sure that it excels at the things that have come to be taken as a gimme in this WoW-esque age. So how the heck do people balance that? I am really REALLY rooting for both this and ESO so that I can see that there's at least SOME possibility for the genre to tear away from the WoW-mania.
    The thing is, if you walk off the beaten path you find that the genre is quietly breaking away from the second generation MMO idea.
    Those who are willing to deal with being in betas / playing semi unheard of games are able to experience MMOs VERY different from WoW. I like how the more main stream stuff is starting to break away too though. TESO sticking with the TES franchise is a great call on their part and will set them apart from the rest of the genre. I am hoping wildstar does the same with... Something. I am seeing a lot of improved upon features but I am yet to see anything where I am like "WHOA NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE EVER!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh...yeah WoW forums are where gating is being discussed heavily in the negative connotation. Though to be fair, it's referring to a lot of artificial and arbitrary gating like only letting you get x amount of rep a day or how dailies were when they initially launched. Gating isn't inherently bad as it's how the devs want their game to be played. If their motives are suspect, then it's questionably received, but not wanting you to be able to do x acitivity yet, or go to y place, isn't 'bad' if you catch what I mean.

No. It's my friends and others around me on other forums who are eager to play it, who says WoW sucks, that calls it the WoW killer. Not me.
    Nontheless, i'm thinking of getting it. Only big turn-off if you will is the cartoonish graphic. It shall be fun to try, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Panszer View Post
    No. It's my friends and others around me on other forums who are eager to play it, who says WoW sucks, that calls it the WoW killer. Not me.
    Nontheless, i'm thinking of getting it. Only big turn-off if you will is the cartoonish graphic. It shall be fun to try, though...
    Your friends may be trolling you.

Also, if you are playing WoW, why would the cartoonish graphics be a turn off?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Your friends may be trolling you.

Also, if you are playing WoW, why would the cartoonish graphics be a turn off?
    Cause, it doesnt look exactly like WoW. The graphic is something way different, and way more cartoonish. Maybe because i've been playing for 5 - 6 years, probably just have to get used to it. I don't know...

Cause, it doesnt look exactly like WoW. The graphic is something way different, and way more cartoonish. Maybe because i've been playing for 5 - 6 years, probably just have to get used to it. I don't know...
    Well, I think that they are different styles but equally cartoony.

Here, look at them side by side.

*No judgments made here. Just pointing out that they are both cartoony.

To be honest, i think Wildstar will be alittle like Rift... It will last for 1 - 4 months, and people will be bored off it. Like people said about rift: it will be the WoW killer. O really, everyone of my friends bought Rift, i didn't. They played it for 2 months, and they all came back to WoW. All i said was: I told you so. And i think it will be just the same with Wildstar, not to mention the game looks like shit if you ask me. A deffo non-buy for me. I'll stick to WoW.
    ... Do you even realize how popular RIFT still is to this day? o_o

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingercrab View Post
    ... Do you even realize how popular RIFT still is to this day? o_o
    Don't bother arguing facts with them. Its pointless.

Wow models to me just look very graphically simple and devoid of detail, a lot of people call this cartoony which I guess it is in a sense. Wildstar actually seems to be going for a comic booky cartoony style, to me it is definitely more cartoony than wow.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

the reason the new mmo's that come out fail is because WoW has been a great game up until cata, pretty much the game went downhill when cata came out but people still played it because of the gigantic playerbase and probably because they had a lot of friends playing it too, now when they "quit" to go play rift, gw2 etc it's usually because of either the game being bad, the game not having the fanbase like wow, they don't have enough friends playing the game that these new mmo's fail and like I said in an earlier post I don't see how people think these games are still "strong" or "active" when you rarely hear anything about them, see streams or videos of people playing it.

Friendly reminder not to get too off topic. Comparisons are fine, but just keep discussion relevant to WildStar.