Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Well until they are revealed, there are no guarantees, but there are places where you can take a peak.
    No Aurin Medic! *sniff*
    /despair

10+ Year Old Account
    So... Who else thinks this W*W will be only about announcing the Pay it Forward winners?
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    No Aurin Medic! *sniff*
    /despair
    I wouldn't believe the datamined website. It doesn't list granok as engineer but it's confirmed that they can be.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I wouldn't believe the datamined website. It doesn't list granok as engineer but it's confirmed that they can be.
    Actually it does list Granok as engineers and medics. Maybe we were looking at different lists?

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't mean its final either. Just what they've got listed in that build.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't mean its final either. Just what they've got listed in that build.
    Which is the complete opposite of confirmed. Especially with NDAs.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Which is the complete opposite of confirmed. Especially with NDAs.
    Absolutely, its not unusual at all for out of date stuff to be in builds, especially beta builds. I still remember all the stuff from the first Shogun Total War that was left in the gold Medieval total War build.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely, its not unusual at all for out of date stuff to be in builds, especially beta builds. I still remember all the stuff from the first Shogun Total War that was left in the gold Medieval total War build.
    I was just reading through an oldschool 'What you didn't know about...' thread about Vanilla WoW. I always forget how completely different the game was in alpha, then beta, then release. Like...mind bogglingly different. Pretty much every game with iterative design (read: almost every MMO ever) does this.

It's honestly at least 50% of the reason they have NDAs in the first place.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still ticked over them bailing on the original honor system in WoW. It was even in the manual.

Yet, I just can't really get behind NDA's anymore. Yes its the dev's choice to make, but someone looking for an excuse to complain? Is going to find one. Whether what they are complaining about is a WIP or not. Plus, with so much money spent making these games nowadays? It gives devs an even bigger excuse to "exaggerate," or outright lie. I'm looking at you War Z, ACM, and SC5. Anything to prop up those preorders and first week of sales.

NDA's, remember Vanguard, can too easily become a tool to hide just how bad and incomplete their supposedly finished product may actually be. When you consider how much money some people end up spending on these games? Collector's Editions, upgrading their PC's hardware, cash shops, and DLC's? NDA's just don't have a whole lot of inherent credibility left, in my humble opinion.

NDA's, remember Vanguard, can too easily become a tool to hide just how bad and incomplete their supposedly finished product may actually be.
    Eh, Vanguard is a special kind of fucked up because Brad McQuaid can't run a damn studio (STILL BREAKING MY HEART)

Honestly, if early (and I mean actual early) betas/late alpha's weren't NDA'd, people would flip their shit at the games. Having played through many of them at this stage, I know if the majority of the "average joe" gamers on the net would go banana's shit talking a game in alpha or early beta for its terrible performance, unfinished visuals, rough UI and menu system, clunky combat, etc. etc.

I'm not the biggest fan of NDA's, but they definitely serve a good purpose when used appropriately.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Eh, Vanguard is a special kind of fucked up because Brad McQuaid can't run a damn studio (STILL BREAKING MY HEART)

Honestly, if early (and I mean actual early) betas/late alpha's weren't NDA'd, people would flip their shit at the games. Having played through many of them at this stage, I know if the majority of the "average joe" gamers on the net would go banana's shit talking a game in alpha or early beta for its terrible performance, unfinished visuals, rough UI and menu system, clunky combat, etc. etc.

I'm not the biggest fan of NDA's, but they definitely serve a good purpose when used appropriately.
    Yep. The negatives would vastly outweigh the positives. A game without an NDA that goes through iterative design phases like this one would be eaten alive in minutes and would provoke people to literally campaign against their existence, killing off half the potential playerbase before it has even been completed.

Not to mention the effect it would have on developer morale to work for so many years just to have your game trashed before you're even finished making it. Kinda like someone look at you do anything that you've only worked on for 5 minutes and telling you it sucks and you should never do that activity again. Only multiply 'someone' by hundreds of thousands.

The internet is not an intelligent or kind place. I'd prefer games be developed in the sanctity of the studio. Not enough companies pull messed up stunts like EA or the few examples you mentioned to warrant ruining pretty much every game ever made going forward.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think dropping their NDA worked out badly for Firefall. And anyone whose morale is that vulnerable? Should probably not be trying to make computer games in the first place. With some devs already publicly selling Beta and even Alpha access? It would seem to me that they have survived, no matter how unintelligent a place you believe the internet to be. So it would appear that the NDA-less path is a viable one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think dropping their NDA worked out badly for Firefall. And anyone whose morale is that vulnerable? Should probably not be trying to make computer games in the first place. With some devs already publicly selling Beta and even Alpha access? It would seem to me that they have survived, no matter how unintelligent a place you believe the internet to be. So it would appear that the NDA-less path is a viable one.
    The crux of my argument wasn't simply that people's feelings would be hurt. That was just flavor writing. Obviously the damage to the actual playerbase is the bottom line of the argument as it would affect the literal bottom line.

And FireFall dropped an NDA to have an invite only 'open' closed beta...where they made money from in game sales. So let's not talk about a soft launch where they are trying to generate revenue as anything remotely close to a game still going through iterative design and expecting to earn the bucks when they actually release. Definitely not the same situation.

If Wildstar launched an early form of the game where they were taking payments, I guarantee the NDA would drop as well. Magic 8 ball seems to think that this isn't going to happen in this game.
    BAD WOLF

Magic 8 ball seems to think that this isn't going to happen in this game.
    !

How do you know of magic 8 ball

Eh... Firefall is a mixed bag. Plus it's a shooter not an rpg which affects things right there. And there has been a ton of bad things said about it since the NDA was lifted as well. They are actually walking a pretty hard path right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    How do you know of magic 8 ball
    I keep one handy for all of life's important questions. When asked about this specific question it relpied "Highly unlikely".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    And there has been a ton of bad things said about it since the NDA was lifted as well. They are actually walking a pretty hard path right now.
    This is true actually. Though it has had a positive effect on their company specifically since they are so open with anyone communicating with them. Without it, maybe we wouldn't have seen so much good content get added. However, a lot of people bailed from the game when it was in the early stages from hearing that it had nothing going on but thump, thump, thump, thump.

A lot of those people won't give products a second chance. It's true what they say about first impressions, especially in the video game market as most people (read: not MMO-C posters) will only give it that much time to make a decision.
    BAD WOLF

New article posted on the official site. I'm not sure if this is our WildStar Wednesday or not, but here it is.

*Edit* Can't post a link because I read and usually don't post. Just go to the official site for the article.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I think that if the path isn't hard, then the results may very well be too soft. Nor do I feel its about easy or sanctity. Its about transparency. I also don't differentiate between Alpha, Beta, and soft, or stealth, launches. Whether you paid for access to an Alpha or Beta. The software is still in an Alpha or Beta state.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faulted View Post
    New article posted on the official site. I'm not sure if this is our WildStar Wednesday or not, but here it is.

*Edit* Can't post a link because I read and usually don't post. Just go to the official site for the article.
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/ne...ui_add-ons.php
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2013-07-03 at 07:38 PM.

Thanks for posting the article linke. It is awesome to see that they are embracing addons and putting resources into making the tool as robust as possible. Must have been awesome to be Packetdancer and get invited to Carbine.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw their names and the first thing that popped into my head was they probably used to play Shadowrun.