Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    the annual pass wasnt greedy. you could easily get out of it and if you chose not to pay blizzard didnt make a big deal out of it, you basically got free stuff.

its not like they purposely said "lets not give anyone content for 6 months"

i got a free mount, beta access, and 4 free months of wow for FREE, didnt have to do anything i wouldnt normally do. that doesnt sound greedy to me
    I am not talking specifically about that (although I know several people who feel that they got robbed with that 9 month content dessert) . It happened in wotlk as well and in swtor after 1.2. If a game was subscription and stayed subscription for a while, most of them did it.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2013-03-21 at 01:38 AM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

WoW: Cataclsym is the perfect example of how a game abuses a subscription.

Blizzard flat out said there wasn't enough content.

Certainly not enough to pay 15$ a month and wait almost another year before MoP came out with no new content inbetween.

Yea worth a subscription right thar...

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    You failed to provide an example of "lots of games"

You failed to provide an example of how a subscription can't be abused like DLC can.

Everything you said about DLC can be applied to subscription.
    games like elder scrolls i remember someone saying that there was areas in skyrim you couldnt get to without hacks that they saved for an expac, that one dead or alive game with like a million bikinis, any of those "simulator" games, saints row the third where certain dlc was kept out of the main game so they could add it in again in an expansion although that eventually got scrapped and is gonna be in saints row the fourth.

theres lots of cases like that.

as for subscriptions i cant think of anyway subscriptions can be abused unless their is multiple different subs like pay 10 get half the game pay 20 get both halves or something but im not talking about that, not adding content for long lengths of time doesnt count either since that has more to do with other stuff.

---------- Post added 2013-03-20 at 09:42 PM ----------

Certainly not enough to pay 15$ a month and wait almost another year before MoP came out with no new content inbetween.

thats not abuse, they just took to long they didnt purposely do that they werent in a building rubbing their hands together going "look at the sheeple writhing in agony over no content" they even doubled their design teams to make content faster
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

i remember someone saying
    Stopped reading there then saw this:

as for subscriptions i cant think of anyway subscriptions can be abused
    go on oh wait

You want another example?

How about the 13 months I believe before cataclysm was released with no new content inbetween besides a small raid you finish in under an hour once per week is that worth 15$ a month? Was that worth the 200$ you wasted? That could of been 200$ of other video games or DLC.

If it was DLC, which is adding more content to the game and you choosing what you want to buy and add to your game that's 40 DLC packs for 5$ each or 20 if 10$ each.

That's a shit more content then one shitty pre event for cataclysm.

So what if some games restricted some content. You choose to add more instead of wasting 15$ a month for.... NOTHING but renting the game.

and just because some games not most games did abuse DLC doesn't mean all games will. And games have abused subscription.

Stopped reading there then saw this:

go on oh wait

You want another example?

How about the 13 months I believe before cataclysm was released with no new content inbetween besides a small raid you finish in under an hour once per week is that worth 15$ a month? Was that worth the 200$ you wasted? That could of been 200$ of other video games or DLC.

If it was DLC, which is adding more content to the game and you choosing what you want to buy and add to your game that's 40 DLC packs for 5$ each or 20 if 10$ each.

That's a shit more content then one shitty pre event for cataclysm.
    again... that isnt abuse, in order for it to be abuse it has to be intentional. if someone accidentally hits me with their car are they abusing me with their car? no it was an accident, blizzard didnt intentionally hold back content they were just taking to long
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

games like elder scrolls i remember someone saying that there was areas in skyrim you couldnt get to without hacks that they saved for an expac, that one dead or alive game with like a million bikinis, any of those "simulator" games, saints row the third where certain dlc was kept out of the main game so they could add it in again in an expansion although that eventually got scrapped and is gonna be in saints row the fourth.

theres lots of cases like that.

as for subscriptions i cant think of anyway subscriptions can be abused unless their is multiple different subs like pay 10 get half the game pay 20 get both halves or something but im not talking about that, not adding content for long lengths of time doesnt count either since that has more to do with other stuff.

---------- Post added 2013-03-20 at 09:42 PM ----------

thats not abuse, they just took to long they didnt purposely do that they werent in a building rubbing their hands together going "look at the sheeple writhing in agony over no content" they even doubled their design teams to make content faster
    It is abuse.
    You are paying 15 dollars a month for a service. A service that includes updates and content.
    If they aren't going to release content, then they shouldn't be charging OR they shouldn't charge for the expansion.
    You just paid 135 dollars for 0 content and then they turn around and ask for another 60? What happened to the 135 you just invested? They are not only charging you 195 dollars for MOP, they won't let you log on unless you pay them more.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2013-03-21 at 01:50 AM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

again... that isnt abuse, in order for it to be abuse it has to be intentional. if someone accidentally hits me with their car are they abusing me with their car? no it was an accident, blizzard didnt intentionally hold back content they were just taking to long
    It is abuse, You are comparing a car crash to subscription game abuse. That is how low you're thinking right now.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    It is abuse.
    You are paying 15 dollars a month for a service. A service that includes updates and content.
    If they aren't going to release content, then they shouldn't be charging OR they shouldn't charge for the expansion.
    You just paid 135 dollars of 0 content and then they turn around and ask for another 60? What happened to the 135 you just invested? They are not only charging you 195 dollars for MOP, they won't let you log on unless you pay them more.
    you dont pay a subscription for new content, you pay a subscription to access the game, nowhere in the tos does it say you are paying for new content you are paying for access

What does it matter ultimately to you though?

If a game is F2P and you are the type of player who believes a subscription fee to be "fairer". Welp, one can still play that F2P game. If such a game does feel "unfair" or "greedy" after a time... quit.

There is zero cost or risk to such a player. Only time. And frankly, many people greatly overestimate the value of their time.

It's a fairly pointless concern.

you dont pay a subscription for new content, you pay a subscription to access the game, nowhere in the tos does it say you are paying for new content you are paying for access
    That's even more abuse when other games don't make you pay for access to the game but allow you to choose what you can add to your game. You just contradicted yourself.

---------- Post added 2013-03-21 at 01:53 AM ----------

Another WoW example. They make you pay for access but how much of the game are you actually using?

Once you hit 90 certainly not the low level zones or probably not even the lvl 86 zone. You are paying for what exactly?

To raid and do dungeons and PvP which isn't even close to half the actual game.

and even if you make alts how long does those low lvl zones last? From the way they buff exp every expansion not even 3 days...
    Last edited by zito; 2013-03-21 at 01:54 AM.

It is abuse, You are comparing a car crash to subscription game abuse. That is how low you're thinking right now.
    no im comparing two accidents, someone accidentally hits something, someone accidentally takes on more work then they can handle and doesnt meet deadlines, or something goes wrong in development, or they change direction like they did in mists.

why did cata take so long to come out? the old world revamp, why did mists take so long to come out? the original expansion got scrapped and they had to start over from scratch, what did they do to fix that? they cut back on unneeded cs reps and nearly doubled their dev teams and thats why content is coming out so much faster now.

seriously you sound like you are just bitter, blizzard isnt some evil corporation who wants to put out as little as possible unless you can show me INTENT to not put out new content it isnt abuse it was a mistake, was it a big mistake? yes it cost them lots of subscribers but it WAS NOT abuse

Deleted
    its going to be freemium.. like people said sub with full access + perks (housing customization etc) + an eshop where you can buy content packs, vanity items, mounts, dyes, transfers etc.

even if thats not the case who cares.. lets move the hell along. too much of this fecking thread has be spoilt with crappy payment speculation.

no im comparing two accidents, someone accidentally hits something, someone accidentally takes on more work then they can handle and doesnt meet deadlines, or something goes wrong in development, or they change direction like they did in mists.

why did cata take so long to come out? the old world revamp, why did mists take so long to come out? the original expansion got scrapped and they had to start over from scratch, what did they do to fix that? they cut back on unneeded cs reps and nearly doubled their dev teams and thats why content is coming out so much faster now.

seriously you sound like you are just bitter, blizzard isnt some evil corporation who wants to put out as little as possible unless you can show me INTENT to not put out new content it isnt abuse it was a mistake, was it a big mistake? yes it cost them lots of subscribers but it WAS NOT abuse
    They cut back on current game content to fuel their next game which they made you pay.

They did it twice

That isn't an accident it's plain as day ABUSE. You even said it yourself they decided to do it, which they didn't have to.

That's even more abuse when other games don't make you pay for access to the game but allow you to choose what you can add to your game. You just contradicted yourself.

---------- Post added 2013-03-21 at 01:53 AM ----------

Another WoW example. They make you pay for access but how much of the game are you actually using?

Once you hit 90 certainly not the low level zones or probably not even the lvl 86 zone. You are paying for what exactly?

To raid and do dungeons and PvP which isn't even close to half the actual game.

and even if you make alts how long does those low lvl zones last? From the way they buff exp every expansion not even 3 days...
    im not contradicting myself, i said in my original post that it wasnt entirely logical, something that isnt logical doesnt need reasoning i said it feels greedier and that i couldnt explain why. and also if you sub to wow and choose not to do all the content thats fine ive done every single quest in the game and im enjoying the 5.2 daily hub and throne of thunder as long as the story is good for wow i will continue to pay, if they ever fuck up like they did in bc i will quit

---------- Post added 2013-03-20 at 09:59 PM ----------

They cut back on current game content to fuel their next game which they made you pay.

They did it twice

That isn't an accident it's plain as day ABUSE. You even said it yourself they decided to do it, which they didn't have to.
    no they didnt, had all things gone as planned mists or whatever expansion they had planned wouldve came out long before the majority was done with the content in 4.3. they messed up that isnt abuse, its an accident

im not contradicting myself, i said in my original post that it wasnt entirely logical, something that isnt logical doesnt need reasoning i said it feels greedier and that i couldnt explain why. and also if you sub to wow and choose not to do all the content thats fine ive done every single quest in the game and im enjoying the 5.2 daily hub and throne of thunder as long as the story is good for wow i will continue to pay, if they ever fuck up like they did in bc i will quit
    That's cool, you did every quest in the game. Now you are paying for what exactly? You pay 15$ a month completed the content and now you are continuing to pay it for the same content you can't even repeat unless on an alt and I have strange feeling you won't enjoy that. And don't get me started on repeating low level content as a max level toon making the content trivial.

something that isnt logical doesnt need reasoning i said it feels greedier
    So that's logical? lol

Game developers can have multiple teams working multiple projects/games. There isn't like 2 guys in all Blizzard capable of writing game code such they have to task Bill with Heart of the Swarm and Tom with Warcraft.

Nor do Blizzard wait for January's monthly subscription fees to come in before cutting a check for the Starcraft guys.

Seriously. Game development doesn't work like that...
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-03-21 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Game developers can have multiple teams working multiple projects/games. There isn't like 2 guys in all Blizzard who capable of writing game code such they have to task Bill with Heart of the Swarm and Tome with Warcraft.

Nor do Blizzard wait for January's monthly subscription fees to come in before cutting a check for the Starcraft guys.

Seriously. Game development doesn't work like that...
    Then they have a team for expansion and they have a team keeping content to make a subscription worth it. Not taking everyone from one project to work on the next big thing and pray to god it works.

That's cool, you did every quest in the game. Now you are paying for what exactly? You pay 15$ a month completed the content and now you are continuing to pay it for the same content you can't even repeat unless on an alt and I have strange feeling you won't enjoy that.
    i have the rest of the 5.2 daily hub to do, i have a warlock i need to level to see the lore in the green fire chain, i have about 1o more days before im exalted/best friends with nat pagle, i have all 4 tiny fish pets to catch, i only have about 3000 out of the 9999 dinosaur bones i need to get my bonewhite primal raptor, i have the rest of throne of thunder to do and my gear, i still havent even started on arch for the mantid the mogu or the pandaren, i still have a monk i need to level up to 90.

there is ALOT of things i still need to do before i stop subbing and if and when i run out of content i will unsub until the next patch but right now it looks like 5.3 will be out in a few months and i have lots of stuff to do

i have the rest of the 5.2 daily hub to do, i have a warlock i need to level to see the lore in the green fire chain, i have about 1o more days before im exalted/best friends with nat pagle, i have all 4 tiny fish pets to catch, i only have about 3000 out of the 9999 dinosaur bones i need to get my bonewhite primal raptor, i have the rest of throne of thunder to do and my gear, i still havent even started on arch for the mantid the mogu or the pandaren, i still have a monk i need to level up to 90.

there is ALOT of things i still need to do before i stop subbing and if and when i run out of content i will unsub until the next patch but right now it looks like 5.3 will be out in a few months and i have lots of stuff to do
    I'm not saying WoW doesn't have content now. I gave an example of how a subscription was abused twice and blizzard acknowledge it and it's still being abused because you are renting a game, the entire game. The entire game should be meaningful but it's not and they have been doing this for almost a decade. That is no "accident"

But I've made my point. A subscription can be abused. DLC can be abused, does that mean wildstar is going to abuse whatever model they do? No can they? Yes but don't say DLC is greedier because you are just spouting nonsense.

Then they have a team for expansion and they have a team keeping content to make a subscription worth it. Not taking everyone from one project to work on the next big thing and pray to god it works.
    blizzard pre mists had two main wow dev teams one that works on the current expansion one that works on the expansion coming afterwards, the expansion that was supposed to come out after cata got scrapped at some unknown point in development and blizzard had to start over from scratch.

in mists cory stockdon aka mumper said they nearly doubled their dev teams and now instead of working on one patch at a time they have 4 teams each working on a different patch for the expansion they are developing for

---------- Post added 2013-03-20 at 10:09 PM ----------

also this thread is getting way to derailed with arguments about wow lets try and move it bqack to wildstar