The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    me neither i would just enjoy a mod as well, after all there are still plenty of people who enjoy the hybrid style.
    Considering they are heavy advocates of modding their game and have already released tools to enable modders to create even better applications...I'm fairly certain there will be a mod that is just like Tera in terms of action combat. I'm not sure if projectiles can miss like in Tera, or if all ranged attacks have templates for aiming, that's all coding and nothing to do with the UI...but I'm sure they can change it to mouse aim for general purposes.

I also expect that if this game becomes popular you will see more and better addons than we have ever seen in an MMO, since they are already planning on being so invested in the process to the point of figuring out ways to reward modders and take their work to implement permanently in the game.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    You don't have to aim in GW2, it auto follows unless you dodge. You aim in wildstar like reticule combat so no the basic control scheme isn't the same.. hence why it's called freeform combat and tab target combat separate.
    There is no auto follow in GW2

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't have to aim in GW2, it auto follows unless you dodge. You aim in wildstar like reticule combat so no the basic control scheme isn't the same.. hence why it's called freeform combat and tab target combat separate.
    I don't play many classes but I'm certain you have to aim whirlwind attack on gs warrior.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    There is no auto follow in GW2
    Projectiles in gw2 will auto follow the target, you do not have to aim. Freeform you have to aim with the telegraph in wildstar. That's why there is two combat modes you can do in the game. Freeform or tab target.

---------- Post added 2013-05-17 at 02:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    I don't play many classes but I'm certain you have to aim whirlwind attack on gs warrior.
    Yes there are some skills in gw2 you have to aim but the basics of it is you don't have to aim since its tab target. But it is not freeform combat. But melee is a differnt story.

10+ Year Old Account
    But melee is a differnt story.
    Not really though. It's hardly any different than standard hotkey as you have to be facing your target to use those actions as well. GW2 is faux action combat, for sure. Doesn't mean it's bad, but no class is action combat in that game without addons.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Not really though. It's hardly any different than standard hotkey as you have to be facing your target to use those actions as well. GW2 is faux action combat, for sure. Doesn't mean it's bad, but no class is action combat in that game without addons.
    That's not the debate. The debate is that freeform combat =/= gw2 combat.

Wildstar tab target is basically gw2 combat but freeform where you have to aim everything because that's why it's called freeform is not gw2 combat. Freeform is closer to TERA combat just there is no visual crosshair instead there is telegraphs (shown in the video)

A warrior in GW2 doesn't have to aim his gap closers (except the GS one) you just target the guy, turn ur back to him and use charge and ur there. That isn't freeform.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not the debate.
    Which is fine. It doesn't make it any less accurate regarding GW2. Many people think that is 'action combat' and thus saying that combat in Wildstar is similar (in one mode) instantly makes them think it will be as lame as GW2 (in their minds) and thus don't realize the potential for the two modes as it applies here.
    BAD WOLF

Well I guess my definition is a bit different. Freeform to me is when you can attack without having anything targeted, which is the case in GW2.

That's not the debate. The debate is that freeform combat =/= gw2 combat.

Wildstar tab target is basically gw2 combat but freeform where you have to aim everything because that's why it's called freeform. Freeform is closer to TERA combat just there is no visual crosshair instead there is telegraphs.

A warrior in GW2 doesn't have to aim his gap closers (except the GS one) you just target the guy, turn ur back to him and use charge and ur there. That's isnt freeform.
    But that's not correct. There are countless videos showing attacks that are NOT free form.

(in fact, in the video you linked, the esper uses an instant cast while moving that launches a blueish orb at the target without aiming)
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

just made it wow combat kthx

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I guess my definition is a bit different. Freeform to me is when you can attack without having anything targeted, which is the case in GW2.
    I see what you are saying...pretty sure it's the case in Wildstar as well. Whether you have to aim it via real action combat or tab targetting automatically aims your templates, anything in the template gets hit in Wildstar. In the TB extended play biscuit the dev talks about how you want to position yourself appropriately to maximize aoe dmg from any attack on your mobs.

And technically 'free form' combat is the combat used in the recent Batman games. It's a flowing system of combos and ability to chain directly into other attacks on any target you choose. Technically NWO and Tera are the only real free form attack systems I've seen in MMOs, but I don't play a lot of non mainstream or eastern ones.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    But that's not correct. There are countless videos showing attacks that are NOT free form.

(in fact, in the video you linked, the esper uses an instant cast while moving that launches a blueish orb at the target without aiming)
    He often switches between tab and freeform. He was freeform for the goat then the giant lizard it looked like he went tab.

That's why I said there are TWO forms of combat...

He often switches between tab and freeform. He was freeform for the goat then the giant lizard it looked like he went tab.

That's why I said there are TWO forms of combat...
    Alright, they are just going to have to send me a beta invite so I test it and see what it feels like.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Well I'll just have to wait until I can play it to see what's like. From what I've read and seen in videos, it's looks very similar to GW2's combat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Alright, they are just going to have to send me a beta invite so I test it and see what it feels like.
    my thoughts exactly until I play it for myself I wont know the actual difference, but I do get what you are trying to say zito.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Maybe it's me but I can't see the sandbox in this game. Perhaps it still needs to be added?
    Ours not to make reply. Ours not to reason why. Ours but to do and die!

Quote Originally Posted by Mortezu View Post
    Maybe it's me but I can't see the sandbox in this game. Perhaps it still needs to be added?
    Probably because it isn't a sandbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably because it isn't a sandbox.
    I am also highly confused by that post. *shrug*
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    After the last few years of disappointing mmo's? I'm just hoping for a game that can keep me interested for even a month.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Well I remember reading here and there that'll have some sandbox elements in it.
    Ours not to make reply. Ours not to reason why. Ours but to do and die!