Oh, Carbine....*headdesk*

Players on the official forums are reporting a new bug where they aren't allowed to buy the third LAS with elder gems any more -- the button just doesn't activate. A staffer popped up on the bug thread to request "clear repro steps to make it occur." This was the reply:

Now that I've built up 450+ gems to buy a separate PvP LAS for my main I can report I'm having the same problem. Reproduction doesn't seem any more difficult than~

1. Amass 450+ elder gems.
    2. Observe buy button no work.
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shambala View Post
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
    Now you know why their QA department couldn't properly test any content and they've halted all releases so they can focus on a patch with mostly bug fixes and little content. It was pathetic enough hearing them echo their reason for basically stifling their entire game was because their QA department can't multitask.
    BAD WOLF

This is a reminder for many of you. Please keep the thread on topic. This is a Wildstar thread and not a thread to post exclusively about other games. It detracts from the conversation and how many people use this thread to get information on Wildstar.

So whens the next patch coming out and is there gonna be any new content for a casual like moi

Quote Originally Posted by Raunchy View Post
    So whens the next patch coming out and is there gonna be any new content for a casual like moi
    Sometime in November and about two-three days worth of new content.

Wait for Drop 4. Itemization changes and much more content.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch Son of Gods View Post
    My apologies, I only used it as a way of showing that grinding is a central pillar of many MMOs even the most popular ones, which is what the discussion was about ("MMOs incorporating grinds or not"), but I admit we went on a small sidetrack there towards Off-topic Station, which I pointed out myself already quite a few posts earlier too.
    Grinding CAN be fun, however, the minute to minute play has to be engaging and the rewards appropriately spaced, timed, and valued.

Tab > 1, 1, 1, 3, 4 repeat isn't exactly engaging game play for very long. Nor is doing a "kill 120" quest and getting almost no quest reward EXP.

The quest flow was, in my opinion, one of the worst aspects of Wildstars leveling. The combat was mildly enjoyable, nothing like a full gen 3 MMO :/ , but the questing felt so stagnant.

Oddly enough, a game that manages their quest flow / leveling speed well is Neverwinter Online. The process of hitting 50 is relatively short, each zone lasts just long enough that you don't have much time to get bored of it, and the voice acting and lore make for a more immersive experience.

MMO developers need to shift how they view leveling away from a time sink and toward a tutorial which focuses on teaching the player how to play well and does it quickly. You don't need to complete 3000 quests to get the skills that the quests are trying to teach you, which usually don't even line up well with end game.

In its current form, questing tends to exist for the sake of existing. It doesn't do enough to teach players about the mechanics they need to know at the heart of the game, end game content, and it rarely displays the lore of the universe in an enjoyable fashion.

Blargh.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

And to the surprise of no one but a few White Knights (you know who you are...) it looks like Carbine will be making an announcement of Wildstar-related layoffs today. From a confirmed Carbine staffer on another board:

Some of us will still be here when the dust clears, but yeah. Not a happy time.
    So now the question arises: will the game even get an F2P conversion? Or will NCSoft just take a sledgehammer to the servers and call it done?

And to the surprise of no one but a few White Knights (you know who you are...) it looks like Carbine will be making an announcement of Wildstar-related layoffs today. From a confirmed Carbine staffer on another board:

So now the question arises: will the game even get an F2P conversion? Or will NCSoft just take a sledgehammer to the servers and call it done?
    This not too unexpected, but still very disappointing : (

Honestly though, NCsoft would make the F2P transition before closing it down. They did it with CoH (which sadly didn't pan out for the aging game), and they did it for Aion and Lineage 2. Don't see why they wouldn't for WildStar.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This not too unexpected, but still very disappointing : (

Honestly though, NCsoft would make the F2P transition before closing it down. They did it with CoH (which sadly didn't pan out for the aging game), and they did it for Aion and Lineage 2. Don't see why they wouldn't for WildStar.
    I'm guessing they probably will. But I've never seen an MMO crash quite as spectacularly as this -- it's certainly the only one I've ever bought into that did this. F2P conversions do cost a certain amount of time and money to make happen, which is why I wonder if NCSoft will want to invest even that small (by comparison to the development cost) amount of cash.

What still boggles my mind is how the game could look so good at first glance, with such a relatively smooth launch, and yet ultimately be such a resounding failure. I mean some folks disliked it right off the bat due to the art style, but the launch sales were still decent -- not great, but decent. They just totally failed to retain players despite people being willing to shell out for the box and give the game a shot.

I hope we get some inside view analysis at some point because this is just fascinating in a "stare at the train wreck and wonder how drunk the engineer was" kind of way.

Deleted
    http://wildstar-core.com/

http://wildstar.gamepedia.com/Wildstar_Wiki

http://gameonmag.com/portfolio/wilds...azine-issue-1/

Are just 3 of the many great places to visit and find information, sadly despite endless MOD warnings, YES they are getting endless now, this thread is not the perfect place and gives a good indication how GG become so volatile....so I would personally visit those sites if your seeking information on what is in my opinion, a fantastic MMO.....LOVING IT

Post constructively. -Infracted. Lucetia
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2014-10-23 at 05:40 PM.

Ouch. The team gets smaller...

They better get Drop 3 on the PTR this weekend, or else I fear bad juju for WS.

Quote Originally Posted by ministabber View Post
    http://wildstar-core.com/

http://wildstar.gamepedia.com/Wildstar_Wiki

http://gameonmag.com/portfolio/wilds...azine-issue-1/

Are just 3 of the many great places to visit and find information, sadly despite endless MOD warnings, YES they are getting endless now, this thread is not the perfect place and gives a good indication how GG become so volatile....so I would personally visit those sites if your seeking information on what is in my opinion, a fantastic MMO.....LOVING IT
    I enjoy how you manage to bring up things that have nothing to do with wildstar, yet think they relate. This forum is perfectly fine, but I guess if you only base it on the passing trolls and people arguing about off topic things, sure. It seems easier to just judge the whole thread.
    Last edited by Punisher069; 2014-10-23 at 05:26 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher069 View Post
    I enjoy how you manage to bring up things that have nothing to do with wildstar, yet think they relate. This forum is perfectly fine, but I guess if you only base it on the passing trolls and people arguing about off topic things sure. That seems easier to just judge the whole thread.
    ...I would have never seen the absurdity in connecting this isolated thread to GG unless you quoted it. Thanks for that. I have no words to adequately express the wrongness of what you quoted. I don't know how our societies haven't collapsed by now.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    To put it into context just how backward they were about this, they placed a 7 day lock out on raids, once you completed them, on individual timers... So every week we had to push back our raid night start time by 1 hour. When we bitched about it for a month, they switched it in a hotfix to resetting every Tuesday which they grudgingly called "the industry standard".
    A wise one would have placed a 6 day 16 hour lock out.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/23/70...tudios-layoffs

Holy shit, 60 people?!

And before people say it, yes... it's common for layoffs in this industry. This is a HUGE number, though.
    Last edited by Nosdrone; 2014-10-23 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    Hmm something something hardcore.

Seriously though that is quite the cut. Jeebus.

Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/23/70...tudios-layoffs

Holy shit, 60 people?!

And before people say it, yes... it's common for layoffs in this industry. This is a HUGE number, though.
    What worried me most for their MMO development future is the sentence "we are looking to move into new business segments like mobile and tablet games as well as explore emerging technologies."

With that many lay offs, that feels very much like a sharp shift in company direction. Mobile games are very easily profitable, they may decide that keeping a team working on Wildstar isn't efficient enough to pursue.

Really bummed for Carbine, I feel like Wildstar had all the building blocks to make a majestic pyramid but for some reason, they decided to shape all the blocks like balls and the whole thing crumbled.

Strange analogy, but it's how I feel.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    What worried me most for their MMO development future is the sentence "we are looking to move into new business segments like mobile and tablet games as well as explore emerging technologies."
    Pretty much every major publisher is looking to mobile/tablets now, it's a low risk/high reward sector that companies are foolish (from a business standpoint) if they're not seriously investigating/getting into.

I guess it's a good sign for GW/GW2 that ArenaNet was exempt from this.