10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ministabber View Post
    Many of us would like to know the facts! But atm it's rumours and hear say, half of it could be right, but that still leaves half being wrong.....what half is right or wrong? Well that's another story
    There are no rumors, https://steamdb.info/sub/68224/. this game is coming to steam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many of us would like to know the facts! But atm it's rumours and hear say, half of it could be right, but that still leaves half being wrong.....what half is right or wrong? Well that's another story
    It's as good as confirmed if you followed the story developments around this. The person got banned for breaking an NDA. Fran tried to hold information back and passed this information on to NCsoft support.

There's very little doubt left around this now, it's happening F2P will be coming in august.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The report is that the dev was confirmed by the reddit mod and he said that the transition was happening then. We'll likely see an announcement late this month/early June unless NCsoft/Carbine want to be silly and either announce during the chaos of E3 (dumb) or at the end of June/early July when they don't have much time to ramp up a PR/marketing campaign.
    Also to add to the rumour mill.....all those mods got booted, is that because it's true or because it's just a made up story ? it's all gone very X-Files

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lol. Carbine are the ones tired of NCSoft and they are leaving them? Man...did people on reddit have so little knowledge of game's and how publishing works to think that's a reality? NCSoft owns Carbine. Carbine can't just secede from their union. If they go on Steam it's a decision that NCSoft is cool with it. I mean they have used the platform in the past and currently Guild Wars and the expansions are housed there.

To be honest, I'm not sure why all games don't leverage Steam when they go F2P/B2P. I especially don't understand games like TSW and TESO not allowing people with previous box purchases to add the game to steam. But meh, w/e.
    BAD WOLF

Also to add to the rumour mill.....all those mods got booted, is that because it's true or because it's just a made up story ? it's all gone very X-Files
    One mod got booted from the subreddit because of an apparent mixture of their past behavior and recent actions. Unless I've missed other things, I don't go there so I've only seen the news that's popped up on MMO news sites about this stuff.

Not really a rumor, I mean, it happened and we know about it. There's little in the way of "rumor" or "X-Files" stuff, at least in regard to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Even that is incorrect, those games stay afloat mostly due to their loyal fan and player base. If you find WoW is currently worth paying for looking at recent content developments i find it be a rather expensive game looking at the rate content comes out.
    Incorrect, no. Part of the reason? Sure. Wildstar was effectively B2P since the start with very little effort required - even that effort clearly was not worth it for the vast majority of customers (my GF and I included - we didn't pay a dime past the box price but quit after 60 days due to way too many issues / lack of casual content.) Sure, well known and established properties get some slack because of their fanbase - but that fanbase was built somehow in the past, right? Wildstar was bad enough to not generate a big enough fanbase...clear and simple. The game has some great concepts but absolutely abysmal execution, design and leadership behind it.

Since I saw the game would go ftp soon, I decided to poke my head in and ask what the state of pvp is? Is it still bot city and is the healing still overtuned and damage undertuned so you can't actually kill the enemy to capture an objective before they respawn and run back to contest the objectives?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by azurrei View Post
    Incorrect, no. Part of the reason? Sure. Wildstar was effectively B2P since the start with very little effort required - even that effort clearly was not worth it for the vast majority of customers (my GF and I included - we didn't pay a dime past the box price but quit after 60 days due to way too many issues / lack of casual content.)
    This isn't really a fair issue of causality actually. I'm all for agreeing that plenty of people didn't find it fun enough to keep playing, but most of those people didn't find it fun enough to pay a subscription. Farming gold is already not many people's ideal way of playing, so chalking it up as super easy and using that as a reason why Wildstar is even 'worse' is a fallacy.

Me quitting the game had nothing to do with me being extra bored so I wouldn't farm CREDD. I wouldn't farm gold to buy WoW's currency either.
    BAD WOLF

Mini in denial

more news at 11
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    One mod got booted from the subreddit because of an apparent mixture of their past behavior and recent actions. Unless I've missed other things, I don't go there so I've only seen the news that's popped up on MMO news sites about this stuff.

Not really a rumor, I mean, it happened and we know about it. There's little in the way of "rumor" or "X-Files" stuff, at least in regard to this.
    well they are down to one mod....and if you read follow up posts most think the pictures are fake.....really is X-Files....the truth is out there

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Mini in denial

more news at 11
    I don't mind the idea of HYBRID at all

10+ Year Old Account
    The change is happening, if you want we can bet plat on it.

I don't mind the idea of HYBRID at all
    F2P with an optional sub is pretty standard for F2P. It's not much of a hybrid.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    F2P with an optional sub is pretty standard for F2P. It's not much of a hybrid.
    I will say this if they pull the stunts that SWTOR did when it went f2p then Wildstar will die.

Just my 2cents tho.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I will say this if they pull the stunts that SWTOR did when it went f2p then Wildstar will die.

Just my 2cents tho.
    People thought that would happen to SWTOR too, but they milked the ever loving golden goose out of their 100k fanatic whales and used it to build a dramatically better SWTOR for all of us. I don't mind if certain people fund Wildstar so that it's the game I deserve a year from now. I certainly won't pay for it.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

Just my 2cents tho.
    The worst FTP with optional sub was Champions Online. Total cash in.

well they are down to one mod....and if you read follow up posts most think the pictures are fake.....really is X-Files....the truth is out there
    Huh, so they are. How many did they have before? (I never go there)

Even if the pictures themselves are fake, the SteamDB entry is not, and it indicates F2P. So maybe it's not transitioning in August, but there will be a business model change.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    The change is happening, if you want we can bet plat on it.
    I have no doubt the game model is going to change at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    People thought that would happen to SWTOR too, but they milked the ever loving golden goose out of their 100k fanatic whales and used it to build a dramatically better SWTOR for all of us. I don't mind if certain people fund Wildstar so that it's the game I deserve a year from now. I certainly won't pay for it.
    SWTOR lived due to the fans of starwars and how well the story is done. Wildstar does not have the same fanbase or story setup. For a lot of people SWTOR was KOTOR3.

With as little as it does now if they pull the same unfair model it will kill it. SWTOR did improve with its model over time tho and I hope any MMO that starts off f2p or go's f2p learns from it.

As I said thats just my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    The worst FTP with optional sub was Champions Online. Total cash in.
    I can agree too that but then again its a MMO ran by Perfect World Entertainment so I'm not surprised. Look at Neverwinter Online.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah seeing Wildstar pop up on SteamDB with the payment as free on demand is pretty much 100% evidence this is happening. Seems like really poor marketing for them to not just announce something official now as anyone paying attention knows what is going on. Are they going for mystery and hoping it translates to hype or simply holding all their cards until they know concretely what they are doing? We may never know.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    This isn't really a fair issue of causality actually. I'm all for agreeing that plenty of people didn't find it fun enough to keep playing, but most of those people didn't find it fun enough to pay a subscription. Farming gold is already not many people's ideal way of playing, so chalking it up as super easy and using that as a reason why Wildstar is even 'worse' is a fallacy.

Me quitting the game had nothing to do with me being extra bored so I wouldn't farm CREDD. I wouldn't farm gold to buy WoW's currency either.
    I would hardly call 2-3 days of 45 min dailies "farming" - it was as easy to buy CREDD as it is easy to buy WoW tokens (actually I take that back, tokens are less effort than CREDD.) In fact, dailies were practically the only casual content in the game except playing with building blocks... My point still stands - Wildstar was bad enough that even though it was trivial to play for free, the masses still didn't bother with it. Has Wildstar changed enough that playing for free with zero effort instead of barely any effort will retain customers? I guess this is why it is F2P vs B2P - it can't afford a barrier to entry.