beyond that there is very little new to reveal.
    Are you suuuurrrreeee?

I'm curious to think what the hell end game is for solo players that they been hyping on about. It certainly isn't the mentor system they added since you have to be in a group with a lower level "friend" to even use it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bah I hope that isn't true - I love the mentor system but want to be able to do it when I want versus having to join a lower level person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hehe... So their announcement about PAX was to announce they would be at PAX? Did anyone actually think they would not be at PAX? Seriously, yikes.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Hehe... So their announcement about PAX was to announce they would be at PAX? Did anyone actually think they would not be at PAX? Seriously, yikes.
    Was more the fact they announced they were going to stream the panels and event. Nothing big but ye, obviously they realised that people want to watch the panels as well as the floor demo they usually do.

Deleted
    Damn.. so i watched every single video i could find about this game and i have to say.
    This is looking pretty good.

Housing - Man... i never even realized that i would be interested in something like this and now
    im completely hooked on the idea.

I still have a few questions about movement and aiming since those are generally the areas
    where most new mmos fail. I want the 100% responsiveness i get while pvping in wow.
    I hope this team can deliver on that because ive never had that crisp responsiveness in any other mmo.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    I hope this team can deliver on that because ive never had that crisp responsiveness in any other mmo.
    Responsiveness =/= character animations. If you've never played a game as responsive as WoW, you've never played pretty much anything. If you get a chance to play Wildstar and you don't find it as 'responsive' (completely wrong word for what you're talking about) you should probably eat your hair.

That is, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Responsiveness =/= character animations. If you've never played a game as responsive as WoW, you've never played pretty much anything. If you get a chance to play Wildstar and you don't find it as 'responsive' (completely wrong word for what you're talking about) you should probably eat your hair.

That is, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.
    Ive played pretty much every western mmo that has been released since wow and almost all of them
    had problems with the responsiveness.

Be it ability delay, movement lag or general clunky mechanics there is always some form of problem with these which i
    conveniently like to group up and call "responsiveness". If thats not the correct word for it (source and the correct term please)
    im assuming anyone with common sense will know what im talking about anyways.

But hey.. thanks for pointing that out. It was totally relevant to the discussion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    im assuming anyone with common sense will know what im talking about anyways.
    Your veiled insult only serves to make yourself look less informed. Yes, anyone with common sense will know there is a difference between what you are claiming is a problem with responsiveness and what is actually your lack of ability to separate animations from abilities firing off. It's understandable to not understand, as many people have made the same mistake as you.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Your veiled insult only serves to make yourself look less informed. Yes, anyone with common sense will know there is a difference between what you are claiming is a problem with responsiveness and what is actually your lack of ability to separate animations from abilities firing off. It's understandable to not understand, as many people have made the same mistake as you.
    Whatever you say

10+ Year Old Account
    He's using responsive in much the same way as someone describing the steering of a car. WoW does have one of the best clients I've used for PvP in reference to the 'tightness/sharpness' of the controls/gameplay etc which has absolutely nothing to do with character animations. There is a distinguishable difference between WoW and most other clients (just a shame the classes are homogenised and the balancing sucks) that's been quite commonly noted.

Deleted
    I've tried tons of MMO's and I agree none feel as good as WoW does, simply moving, jumping and casting abilities. Everything happens just the way you want it, it's so responsive and looks good too. Seems strange that it appears to be something hard to get right, then again I don't know jack about game development so it might be quite a hassle, who knows.

Either way, it's probably one of the most important things in any game, not just an MMO. Moving and fighting is what you're doing nearly the entire time you're logged in, so it has to be enjoyable.

It's because WoW calculates all of the numbers at the point of your input, the animation has nothing to do with that. A lot of the more action oriented games like GW2, Tera, etcetera calculate at the end of the animation. So because WoW's combat is pure numbers calculation it can immediately do that. Plus one thing that it does incredibly well is the feedback. See all of those numbers flash at you? Especially the crit ones which jump out in big flashy numbers? That is the feedback that wow does well. However, if you actually look at the combat, the damage is done before the animations even start. Since the animations are really simple they can also cut them short and blend in well with the next attack, it has a pleasing look although the combat itself is fairly dull and hands off.

Deleted
    That's true, never thought about it. Having the damage pop up before or at the same time of your animation is the way to go then it seems, having to wait for your animation makes it feel sluggish and unresponsive. WoW does wait on occasion though, for example for shadow/frost/x-bolt to animate and travel through the air and reach the target. It's not something that's bothersome at all though.

In regards to WildStar though, the combat does look pretty fun and polished. You really can never tell though what it feels like to play just from videos.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    He's using responsive..
    ...incorrectly.

When you push a button, the action happens. That's the only thing that determines responsiveness. Whether it is beginning a physical action, moving on an axis, or doing math(damage) it's all the same. Unresponsive controls would be ones that fail to immediately do what you told it to do. A common different example would be how people say GW2 character movement is not responsive. This is factually not correct.

Just because an animation is extended or movements are programmed to simulate physics doesn't make a game unresponsive. It's fine to say you like WoW's physics, which actually means you want as little physics as possible. What's not fine is to say that other games aren't as responsive because it's simply not true. Also, having damage tied into the end of an animation is a design choice, not a lack of responsiveness.

It all comes down to someone using a false method to say x game is worse than y game. It's fine to have opinions, but not fine to purport opinions as factual information when they are certainly not.
    BAD WOLF

There was a good video that I saw that showed the differences in the combat. The presenter is a bit biased but he definitely shows how wow and other mmos perform their combat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    There was a good video that I saw that showed the differences in the combat. The presenter is a bit biased but he definitely shows how wow and other mmos perform their combat.

[video=youtube;8RGzzS1jGJc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RGzzS1jGJc[video]
    Background music is .hack//sign. Yes this is completely off topic, but yaaaaaay.

The bias is kinda amusing to be honest.

Deleted
    But he did put a disclaimer that TERA tiself is rubbish, so he is kind of excused.

I get what he is saying about what sets the action combat apart from the WoW kind, but my personal problem with it is, that action combat gets stale relatively fast for me. I like the more tactical approach of 'good' tabtarget MMOs, They keep me longer. this is totally subjective though

Quote Originally Posted by Corros View Post
    But he did put a disclaimer that TERA tiself is rubbish, so he is kind of excused.

I get what he is saying about what sets the action combat apart from the WoW kind, but my personal problem with it is, that action combat gets stale relatively fast for me. I like the more tactical approach of 'good' tabtarget MMOs, They keep me longer. this is totally subjective though
    Not sure how exactly a action combat game would get stale i mean on wow everyone was basicly forced to watch dps meters by what ever guild they are in and make sure that they are using the highest dps rotation or they would be told they need to change. While tera might not have the 9 years of tweaking that wow had which polished it into a fully playable mmorpg with multible raids and such in the end i think tab targetting is really boring and the combat system with it and im pretty sure most people given the option from tab target to an action combat system would go for action combat unless they are a clicker type of player these exist and these type of players lack the speed at which thinking, decision making requires you to it buttons in order to get out of abilities while doing damage. Those are the type of players which claim it gets boring but usually they have the hardest time getting everything out of a action combat system but I think at this point most developers realize the overall game community wants more interactive game play over standing in one place hitting 1, 2, 3, 1 over and over cause it gives the biggest numbers or sounds.

I like the more tactical approach of 'good' tabtarget MMOs
    Tactical? What...

Deleted
    still going on about tab targetting and wildstar... its only like 40% of skills :S and its tab facing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Tactical? What...
    cause tab targetting mmo's dont have tactics especially in pvp.. right?