10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I guess the important question is whether attacking forces can build a gigantic wooden rabbit in their attempts to assault your warplot. Or maybe a badger would be better?
    And I shall name my Cassian Spellslinger... Tim?

Where's my WildStar Wednesday?

Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    And I shall name my Cassian Spellslinger... Tim?
    Hrmm...I might have to rethink my desire to name my characters from Firefly and my usual go to list of poisonous herbs. Perhaps I will have lots of noble and knightly sounding names. Especially if they let you name characters like GW2, where you can actually use spaces. Tim the Enchanter sounds like a good esper name to me. Likewise, Brave Sir Robin the warrior would be a good fit for you.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Hrmm...I might have to rethink my desire to name my characters from Firefly and my usual go to list of poisonous herbs. Perhaps I will have lots of noble and knightly sounding names. Especially if they let you name characters like GW2, where you can actually use spaces. Tim the Enchanter sounds like a good esper name to me. Likewise, Brave Sir Robin the warrior would be a good fit for you.
    I'm actually hoping the name tag is long enough to fit Sir-Not-Appearing-In-This-Game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually hoping the name tag is long enough to fit Sir-Not-Appearing-In-This-Game.
    oooh...well played sir.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like its about Arenas today.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/ne...tar_arenas.php

WHAT IS WILDSTAR: ARENAS
    By Jen "Bardic" Gordy - April 03, 2013

A couple of weeks ago, we kicked off a new series to talk to you about what makes WildStar so awesomely WildStar. We talked for a bit about a PvE Elder Game, Raids. If you missed it, you can find it here! This time, we will be focusing on Arenas, one of WildStar’s PvP Elder Games.

Our beta players will be experiencing our first Arena map once beta opens – we are intent on getting feedback early to refine our PvP systems for WildStar!

Why Arenas?

The PvP developer approach to PvP content is very similar to how WildStar PvE developers approach PvE content. We want to provide play opportunities for many types of players, which includes offering different PvP Elder Game options.

The Arena Elder Game aims itself at players who thrive on challenging skill play, a competitive environment, and small team tactical play. This Elder Game type also lends itself well to (future!) development of tournaments/e-sport systems, which deepens attachment to the challenge and progression of the Arena system.

Arena Gameplay in WildStar

WildStar will have 2v2, 3v3, and 5v5 Arena match sizes. Arena teams will be formal teams (a team is created in order to play in matches that earn your team rating points). Players can belong to one team for each match size.

One of the biggest differences you’ll see in WildStar Arena gameplay is that our Arena match is not a single elimination match. Each team shares a set amount of respawns (based on the match size). To win an Arena match, your team must get the opposing team to use all of their respawns and then defeat any remaining living opponents.

Beyond the Game

Much of the competitive nature for PvP Elder Games is enhanced through features which elevate player status or notoriety. Web support (such as PvP leaderboards, profile pages, and reports), spectator modes, and support for streaming tools are items which we are either looking to tackle for launch or are putting on a wish list for future development.

The Map

You’ve found the seedy underworld of Nexus in the dingy engine room of a Marauder ship. The floor and walls are littered with bottles, beer cans, and broken weapons. Metal pillars sprout from the center of the Arena floor, venting steam. You can see spectators behind the grating. They are eyeing you as they make their wagers. Cameras rove around the room, waiting to record the action.

Ready to play? Sign up for beta and come join my Arena team!

Bardic_
    Figured they would save the big reveals for the conventions...

When is the next convention?
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2013-04-03 at 06:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When is the next convention?
    GenCon and DragonCon are in August, but those are primarily for other things and whatnot. Tokyo Game Show is in Sept, Games Con in Germany is in July I believe.

There really aren't many big conventions for announcements left afaik.
    BAD WOLF

Seems like the arena system will be mostly like WoW's. It's a good thing, I'd say, WoW really got it right. I'm not convinced about respawn system, when I think about the times of unkillable-forever full mana healers from end-TBC or the split second 100-0% kills from early WotLK. Just gotta pray they actually will have a clue about balancing PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jeez. For a AA title they sure are cramming a lot of content into this game. Glorified player housing, battlegrounds, dungeons, raids, warplots, questing, dynamic events and now arenas. It kinda sounds too good to be true. lol
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2013-04-03 at 06:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    I'm not convinced about respawn system
    Well here's the thing: If balance is bad, it doesn't matter what gameplay elements are present because it's not going to be enjoyable. So whether the balance is there or not, here's what respawns adds to typical WoW style arenas: additional layers of strategy.

Now there will need to be planning and commuication about when the best time to burst a player down, kill the next, etc is. If the respawns are instant, it might mean luring the other team away from their spawn point and closer to yours. Possibly knockbacks/deathgrips become more attractive than simple fears or stuns. Timing is even more 'everything' with this system.

If there is a way to kill players strategically so they can never regroup, then it might be too easy and feel like cheesing, but it definitely adds more depth to keeping teams apart and choosing when to kill/ignore players. It also gives a much more marathon approach instead of 1 minute long zerg fests.

I'm more concerned that matches are going to take fooooorrrrever, but they are probably going to look at the e-sport scene if they pull this off successfully. Speaking of this, and Robin's question about conventions, this company seems to be trending a lot towards Blizzard's style of marketing. Possibly they plan on having their own conventions in the future. They are doing these arkship events now, it wouldn't be a stretch.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphlord View Post
    Jeez. For a AA title they sure are cramming a lot of content into this game. Glorified player housing, battlegrounds, dungeons, raids, warplots, questing, dynamic events and now arenas. It kinda sounds too good to be true. lol
    I wonder if they can pull it off too. If they actually manage to do it without it being a bug filled fiasco with tons of missing content? They could have a blockbuster on their hands.

So this is the first time I've actually seen the UI and...holy mother of god I hope we can change it. It's absolutely horrid. Please, let me downscale and remove most of the elements, because I don't want it taking up half my damn screen. Do not like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    So this is the first time I've actually seen the UI and...holy mother of god I hope we can change it. It's absolutely horrid. Please, let me downscale and remove most of the elements, because I don't want it taking up half my damn screen. Do not like.
    If they go as far as to include arenas but not an editable UI? I'll be pretty shocked. But, yeah, its butt ugly.
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2013-04-03 at 07:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    To each their own, other than the size I like it. They are providing full addon support like WoW and Rift from what I heard and I think they will have their own customizable UI as well.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    During the demo I was able to move around the elements. I didn't find where to scale it down or up, but with how movable it is and otherwise customizable I would be surprised if that option isn't present.

What do you guys think of the Circles thing? Sounds promising to me, but I also can see how they could be a potential issue for larger guilds.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind the UI. Then again, I'm really apathetic towards UIs in general. As long as they don't do something stupidly outlandish, I'll be content.

Didn't they say the ui wil be completely moddable? I seem to remember them mentioning this in some of the recent PAX screenings/interviews. They even went as far to say they want modders to be among the 1st of the beta invitees.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    UI is fully modable. They have a toolset called Apollo which will be released during the beta so modders can aquaint themselves with the tools before launch I actually like the ui, though must agree it's blown up massively on that screeny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mag07 View Post
    UI is fully modable. They have a toolset called Apollo which will be released during the beta so modders can aquaint themselves with the tools before launch I actually like the ui, though must agree it's blown up massively on that screeny.
    I certainly hope so. It seems like they are covering all the other "standards," mmo-wise, so I would be surprised if the UI wasn't editable.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I certainly hope so.
    They officially confirmed it in one of the video interviews/chats. UI will be fully mod-able, even more - it is ALREADY fully mod-able.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    I keep hearing from people that you can turn off the red telegraphing stuff. I hope it's true. I want some challenge, and the red telegraphing just seemed too damn easy.