The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirzy View Post
    is there any date for open beta?
    Still nothing, though I'm sure a dozen people will post it here when one is announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Balte View Post
    Dat double jump.

You will never be able to not double jump all the time.
    Everytime I play another game after some Wildstar, happened even in Minecraft, I double tap my Space key like an idiot..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post
    But it opens up the possibility of killing stronger and weaker foes for the same quest. If you have to kill wolves but manage to kill the alpha wolf which counts 3x as much as a normal wolf, it would be weird to count numbers. Percentages are more in line with this idea.
    from what (little) i've seen, that is only the case in a select few quests, though. i'd rather have a counter go from "8/15" to "11/15" in the occasional quest with a bigger kill, than every single quest in the game display progression as something like "73%".
    or at least it would be nice to know the percentage a normal enemy gives in the later case, to allow for at least a rough estimation of how long a quest will take, especially in quests that require a lot of objectives to be completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonridor View Post
    I love the quest tracking. If you kill a mob tagged by another player you get a percentage as well (and less than the player), which is fair and makes people help themselves.
    good point, i hadn't considered that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    agreed.

it works very well in gw2, because there are pretty much always several different ways to gain 'quest' progress. wildstar seems to try and copy that, but most quests really are simply "kill 20 of these" or "collect 10 of those", in which case not knowing the actual number is just annoying.
    sometimes there is, for example, a bigger enemy that gives more progress on kill than the normal, weaker ones, but that certainly seems to be the exception. and even then, just having two different enemy types to kill doesn't come close to the number and variety of objectives in gw2.

also, hi guys, how's it going?^^
    Yeah, I see where your comeing from, but the problem comes in at your never killing just one mob at a time. The quests usually require, % because behind those %'s are a MUCH higher kill number compared to other MMO's. One MMO would have you kill say 8 mob's, where this one would have you kill 18. 18 seems like a very daunting number though for one simple quest, but in actuality, your killing mobs in packs of 2 or 3 at a time, so, in practice, it comes out to be roughly the same. So a % is much more welcoming in this case then a huge number.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoewy View Post
    Everytime I play another game after some Wildstar, happened even in Minecraft, I double tap my Space key like an idiot..
    Sprint is the one that gets me since both Wildstar and ESO have it. I'll be playing GW2 and the shift key, it does nothing!
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Yeah, I see where your comeing from, but the problem comes in at your never killing just one mob at a time. The quests usually require, % because behind those %'s are a MUCH higher kill number compared to other MMO's. One MMO would have you kill say 8 mob's, where this one would have you kill 18. 18 seems like a very daunting number though for one simple quest, but in actuality, your killing mobs in packs of 2 or 3 at a time, so, in practice, it comes out to be roughly the same. So a % is much more welcoming in this case then a huge number.
    i understand that, but i would rather have a 0/18 that climbs quickly, than seeing my progress grow by only 6% after killing my first enemy. i suppose it's really a matter of preference, but the later seems more 'daunting' to me personally. at least in the former, i know from the start that it will take many kills :D

then again, the real problem i've got with the quest objectives in wildstar is the fact that they seem to be almost entirely the boring, old "kill x, collect y". even the last wow expansions seem to have more interesting and varied quests objectives. and after playing gw2 (with its "dynamic events") and swtor (with its narrative focus) wildstar's questing seems like a huge step backwards to me.
    the percentage display itself is really just a minor nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Sprint is the one that gets me since both Wildstar and ESO have it. I'll be playing GW2 and the shift key, it does nothing!
    Oh yeah sprint, that too!

Im the same but with the Double jump as Ive been playing at the weekend aswell as Titanfall, gets confusing when your trying to double jump in Swtor.

i understand that, but i would rather have a 0/18 that climbs quickly, than seeing my progress grow by only 6% after killing my first enemy. i suppose it's really a matter of preference, but the later seems more 'daunting' to me personally. at least in the former, i know from the start that it will take many kills :D

then again, the real problem i've got with the quest objectives in wildstar is the fact that they seem to be almost entirely the boring, old "kill x, collect y". even the last wow expansions seem to have more interesting and varied quests objectives. and after playing gw2 (with its "dynamic events") and swtor (with its narrative focus) wildstar's questing seems like a huge step backwards to me.
    Yeah I agree with swtor, but gw2 is imo worse than other games, because in gw2, there is absolutely no narrative whatsoever in their kill x/collect y things. You just go to a place and grind and do it, no other reason then it's a dot on the map. It's got dynamic events which are great imo, Wildstar does too, but admittedly didn't seem like hardly any when I played, but again beta who knows in live. Another bad way to present it is in carnage quests like rift's got, go kill x mobs for no reason. It's just pure grinding, and not even hidden well. Wildstar is as guilty cause it has carnage quests too, but has less narrative then swtor, but more then gw2. Though I did like the challenges, it was again more grinding(or cool jumping puzzles) but at least the rewards were nice.

Yeah I agree with swtor, but gw2 is imo worse than other games, because in gw2, there is absolutely no narrative whatsoever in their kill x/collect y things. You just go to a place and grind and do it, no other reason then it's a dot on the map.
    That is how I felt. But in terms of WildStar I would prefer if it was kill 10 of 10. Instead of the XP % as it stands right now. I am not sure how it works in terms of xp gained per mob if you over level content while questing, you should get less XP per mob in theory. Thus it would take more mobs to kill to complete the objective. Which seems stupid, unless that isn't how it works.

10+ Year Old Account
    gw2's 'questing' really seems to be loved by one half of the people who play(ed) and hated by the other half
    i understand the lack of narrative (i am actually someone who reads quest texts in wow^^) making it feel even more grindy, but it never really felt that way to me. or, rather, less so than in other mmorpgs. even with a lack of quest texts, it always seemed rather clear to me what was going on, whether that's helping a farmer find his cattle or defend a village from a centaur raid.

also, regarding quest texts, i actually really prefer the quest windows of wow over the this-is-totally-a-dialogue speach bubbles of wildstar <_<

This will likely be a quick addon fix at launch, unless they have enough people ask about it and make a switch in options for it. I kind of like the % thing, but at other times it feels weird to have to do quick math to figure out how many I actually need to kill.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some mobs are worth more of a % than others. At some of the higher levels for instance, you can run into swarms where each mob will only give 2-3%, but there are also big mobs you can kill for 20%. And no, the quests being percent based DOES NOT mean you have to kill more mobs than in other MMOs.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Wildstar's questing isn't terrible, but it could be better. I'd put it on par with WotLK, some of it is traditional questing and some of it is a little off the cuff. I do think the kill requirements on a few of them could use some adjustments. Enemies aren't always clustered together to make things faster/easier.

Challenges still need a lot of work. I've said it before, but the only thing "challenging" about them is dealing with a high kill count combined with low mob density, low respawn, competition from anyone else in the area (including your own party members), and a low timer that seems to be tuned as if none of the above issues exist. They also need to tweak the rewards table, IMO.

I wasn't aware Wildstar was supposed to have dynamic events? I know there are fixed events like that raid boss in Deradune.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Wildstar's questing isn't terrible, but it could be better. I'd put it on par with WotLK
    Reading this fills me with some many conflicting emotions.

On one hand, I think that that is FAR too generous.
    On the other hand, I don't want to imply that WotLK was good questing either.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2014-02-18 at 02:58 AM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    That is how I felt. But in terms of WildStar I would prefer if it was kill 10 of 10. Instead of the XP % as it stands right now. I am not sure how it works in terms of xp gained per mob if you over level content while questing, you should get less XP per mob in theory. Thus it would take more mobs to kill to complete the objective. Which seems stupid, unless that isn't how it works.
    I'm not sure you understand how the % questing works in Wildstar. It has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of experience a mob gives.

10+ Year Old Account
    The percentage nonsense sounds rather ridiculous to me. It does nothing to hide the grind for me and at best adds, "so how much is each kill worth?" during the quest.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    The percentage nonsense sounds rather ridiculous to me. It does nothing to hide the grind for me and at best adds, "so how much is each kill worth?" during the quest.
    Isn't that the entire point of the % system? To make bigger/stronger mobs give more %.

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Some mobs are worth more of a % than others. At some of the higher levels for instance, you can run into swarms where each mob will only give 2-3%, but there are also big mobs you can kill for 20%. And no, the quests being percent based DOES NOT mean you have to kill more mobs than in other MMOs.
    Your math is beyond horrible. By your own words, you run into quests where a mob get's you 2-3%. that would equate to having to kill at least 33 mobs in order to reach 100%. Yeah 33 mob kill quests are not more then other MMO's... right. And those big 20% mobs are in no way shape or form a common occurance
    Last edited by beanman12345; 2014-02-18 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Reading this fills me with some many conflicting emotions.

On one hand, I think that that is FAR too generous.
    On the other hand, I don't want to imply that WotLK was good questing either.
    Technically speaking only. :P I just meant there are also vehicle quests, etc. WotLK as a whole was my best MMO experience to date, the expansion was practically flawless. Unfortunately, Cataclysm seemed to back track on the progress/innovations WotLK had made with questing.