Thread: SSD Question

SSD Question

I am thinking of getting a Crucial M4 128gb SSD from Newegg. This SSD comes with the Data transfer Kit. So I was wondering if I should do my fresh install of Windows 7 when I get the SSD or do it now and then transfer the data to it with the kit. I am installing a new version of Windows 7 Pro and then upgrading it to Ultimate most likely. I got both of these for free from school so.

Deleted
    Transfering the data over is pretty straightforward and if a tool is being provided i'd go with that and install win 7 now.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would wait.

I have heard there are a few issues when upgrading your system with an SSD without doing a fresh install. Problems suck as lower than expected speeds. In fact, most companies will tell you to do a fresh install if you complain about bad speeds.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Fresh install when you get the SSD. If you want that SSD to be able to perform at its rated speeds, you will need a fresh install of 7 on the drive. Not an image, not a transfer, a fresh install. The sectors won't be properly aligned if you don't.

P.S do me a favor and make sure your SATA controller is set to an AHCI operating mode in the BIOS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenfing View Post
    Fresh install when you get the SSD. If you want that SSD to be able to perform at its rated speeds, you will need a fresh install of 7 on the drive. Not an image, not a transfer, a fresh install. The sectors won't be properly aligned if you don't.

P.S do me a favor and make sure your SATA controller is set to an AHCI operating mode in the BIOS.
    WRONG.

Partition alignment can be done after imaging. It just takes the right tool for the job. Paragon alignment used to be free and did this fine. It's a piece of paid-for software now but i'm pretty damn sure you'd find other things that could do it. I'd assume if they are bundling a tool with the drive it will do imaging AND alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Imamage View Post
    WRONG.

Partition alignment can be done after imaging. It just takes the right tool for the job. Paragon alignment used to be free and did this fine. It's a piece of paid-for software now but i'm pretty damn sure you'd find other things that could do it. I'd assume if they are bundling a tool with the drive it will do imaging AND alignment.
    Why trust an after-market software to do the alignment when it's supported natively by Windows 7? Why not take that extra bit of time to maximize the performance of your new piece of hardware?

Listen to me instead of some kiddie who gets all his information from other forums.

I was going to just wait till I got the SSD to install windows since how fast it would install it. The only reason I am asking is because I have seen a few people saying that it might not install right or something.