Deleted

will i see a big upgrade using this gpu?

Hello, so right now im running a i7 920 Oc'ed to 3.4, 12 gigs of ram, PSU:corsair tx 650W, GPU: gtx 550 ti 2 gig.

Im thinking in upgrading to a gtx 570 twinfrzr II OC.

Considering the CPU, will i be seeing a nice improvement on the fps's (genereally speaking, not only on WoW), or is the cpu an bottleneck?

Kind Regards,

Flicky

it IS a bottleneck but you will still see some improvement.

Source: I had the same CPU but at stock (2.66) and did a similar GPU switch 460->480 and the improvement was still significant

In WoW you'll see improvement in questing and arenas, but for 25-man raids not so much. In raids you need also faster CPU. For all non-WoW games framerate will be 2-3x higher than with the 550.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

sorry, but people claiming a nehalem+ isn't good enough for WoW is complete and utter bullshit, wow was invented way before pentium i-series came

I was able to play 25 mans at full 60 fps on ultra with a 920 @ 2.66, and so will you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeko View Post
    sorry, but people claiming a nehalem+ isn't good enough for WoW is complete and utter bullshit, wow was invented way before pentium i-series came

I was able to play 25 mans at full 60 fps on ultra with a 920 @ 2.66, and so will you.
    This man speaks the truth. People on the boards are prone to losing perspective on WoW and tech. Yes, WoW has gotten more demanding over time but it's still far from being bottle-necked by an i7 - 920.

Even with WoW being less GPU dependent than most games, going from a GTX 550 Ti to a GTX 570 OC'd will easily double your FPS @ max details.

Deleted
    much appreciated for the input. On wow im running everything on ultra except the shadows, those are in good. and i have no problems with fps's at all. The thing is that im aiming for some more stable gameplay on more demanding games.

Much appreciated btw.

Also, with a 380/400 euro/dollar budget, is the gtx 570 twinfrzr II worth it or should i stretch it a little and aim for a 580?

Thanks

---------- Post added 2011-08-16 at 01:44 PM ----------

bump and sorry for the bump. is that im about to order the gpu and i would like some more input from the "pros"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Even with WoW being less GPU dependent than most games, going from a GTX 550 Ti to a GTX 570 OC'd will easily double your FPS @ max details.
    Not in raids it won't. Raids are the epitome of minimum framerate. Minimum framerate is supported by your CPU in WoW, not by the GPU.

Also, Neeko, I'm sure you can stand around in raids at 60fps on Ultra. I'm also pretty sure you drop under 60fps during combat in said raids. Am I saying that more than a first-gen i7 is needed? Not at all. I'm just saying that no CPU will keep you pegged at 60fps 100% of the time. My i5 2500 @ 4.6GHz drops to 50fps during some encounters, and that's with shadows, AA, and AF dropped down a few notches.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickyz
    Also, with a 380/400 euro/dollar budget, is the gtx 570 twinfrzr II worth it or should i stretch it a little and aim for a 580?
    No,the GTX 580 isn't really worth the money unless you plan on running a 3D setup.

The GTX 570 will give a single screen more power than it could possibly use in the next year. It's also fairly reasonably priced. Once you go beyond the Geforce GTX 570 your cost/frame starts increasing exponentially.

Stick with the GTX 570.

Or....if you can still bear a wait, AMDs next-gen GPUs are (unreliably) rumored to come in November this year. If you can bear the wait, it might be worthwhile. But that's up to you.

Deleted
    thanks for the reply crowe. ill stick with the 570. Ill order the OC edition of the GTX 570 Twin Frozr III.

Thanks a million for the help, you were extremely helpful. You all btw