Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Given all of that, and watching how tanking has unfolded in Cataclysm, we’ve gotten over the concept that threat needs to be a major part of PvE gameplay. We have therefore decided to buff tank threat generation in a hotfix this week to where it’s generally not a major consideration. We expect the community to gradually stop using threat-tracking mods as players realize they don’t need them.
    Wait, they are serious.What.. what.... WHAAT? Are you kidding me?!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucread View Post
    I actually quit WoW because of the Blood DK model, so I'm glad I'm not still playing when I read this. Maybe once the Druid/Paladin/Warriors see how frustrating it is to be utterly powerless to mitigate (all runes and cooldowns used..common thing for DKs) they will start QQing and DKs will get fixed.
    Lol its just that you were utterly bad and didnt knew how to manage your rune ressources

I have played World of Warcraft on a consistent basis since the Friends and Family alpha(I got in via an old EverQuest's friend who's real life friend worked at Blizzard at the time) in late 2003 and have played a tank the entire time, minus ICC where our Elemental Shaman left and I swapped to mine to replace him since we had other tanking options.

And nothing they have ever done to any tanking class(I had a max level of every tank for every expansion, except Vanilla where I was only able to focus on my Prot Warrior because of my work schedule) has ever made me contemplate quiting the game until I read this post.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudwolfe View Post
    Wait, they are serious.What.. what.... WHAAT? Are you kidding me?!
    Next patch they'll buff dps to where it's not a major consideration, and then they'll hope the community will gradually stop using dps meters as players will realize they don't need them.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Everyone says that this was un-needed, and there were other things they could have been focusing on. What ARE those other things? Rather than just come here and say "ZOMG THREATZ EWER FINE, IM GOING TO BE SOOOO BORED NOW," tell us what YOU would fix.

I personally like the changes. When I have threat, I'm having fun. When a Fury Warrior (my main is fury, off is prot, both specs are 370+) is popping all his CD's on the pull, getting salved, I'm getting MD'd, and he's still about to pull threat... I'm NOT having fun. The biggest issue is the lack of hit and expertise, and until they fix that whole issue with nearly all tanks, threat was going to be (and is still going to be) inconsistent. So, I welcome any threat changes they make.

AND... If threat was the last bastion of hope you had in Blizzard and WoW, and you would SERIOUSLY quit over this, I would hate to be your employer.

Sofa-King happy. Great change. Not only can I tank without worrying about people pulling threat off me (when I do actually decide to tank)... I can now (finally) spam Arcane Blast to my hearts content without pulling aggro on my mage! Stoked.

This will have 2 direct outcomes. Threat won't be an issue, tanking becomes easy. People start to tank more as it is easy, it will decrease dps wait times in queues.

Quote Originally Posted by lettucehate View Post
    AND... If threat was the last bastion of hope you had in Blizzard and WoW, and you would SERIOUSLY quit over this, I would hate to be your employer.
    It made people pay attention to what they were doing. It's just another example in the long line of Blizzard dumbing down WoW to the lowest common denominator. After the first 30 seconds of a fight there's nobody within half of my threat and my guild's DPS all hover between 25-28K. It's just a completely unnecessary change that makes the game more boring for people who weren't bad in exchange for making it easier for people who get a headache trying to think about more than one thing at a time.

Why is it people are acting like this makes the game easier? Unless you play with terrible people, threat hasn't mattered in a long time. This change really does nothing...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lettucehate View Post
    When I have threat, I'm having fun. When a Fury Warrior (my main is fury, off is prot, both specs are 370+) is popping all his CD's on the pull, getting salved, I'm getting MD'd, and he's still about to pull threat... I'm NOT having fun.
    Getting 3x-5x increase in threat does two things.
    1. Make threat not matter
    2. Allow you to be lazy with your abilities.

This change is essentially the change to Icy Touch in WLK for all classes.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    It made people pay attention to what they were doing. It's just another example in the long line of Blizzard dumbing down WoW to the lowest common denominator. After the first 30 seconds of a fight there's nobody within half of my threat and my guild's DPS all hover between 25-28K. It's just a completely unnecessary change that makes the game more boring for people who weren't bad in exchange for making it easier for people who get a headache trying to think about more than one thing at a time.
    I have to really agree with this comment.

I'm hopeful that the new mechanics that will make hit/expertise relevant again (the "DK style of tank design") will make tanking interesting. But for the time being, they just made hit/expertise even LESS relevant, with no clear timeline for solution, and just made tanking a lot less fun and interesting.

So now the only difference between a tank who executes a good rotation and a tank who executes a bad rotation is... tank dps? :/

10+ Year Old Account
    As a tank i actually like this idea. I know it takes away a important part of our job but okay. While this will change how a tank works in the future for now it seems we will just have a easier time dealing with threat than we have had ever before.

For the people who will say this will make it easier it will only change one thing the mind of the tank is no longer busy with threat but instead focussus on the aspects of a boss fight ... oh wait we already did this common guys even half a decent tank should in raid have no trouble at all keeping threat so this wont change a damm thing. Think before you actually reply.
    Last edited by schippie; 2011-08-16 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by feigning View Post
    Why is it people are acting like this makes the game easier? Unless you play with terrible people, threat hasn't mattered in a long time. This change really does nothing...
    Because most players are not very good, and it does make the game dramatically easier for them.

Not that I'm actually opposed to making the game easier, per se, but there is no reason for a bad tank to learn a proper rotation. It doesn't matter for survival (at least right now), and it doesn't matter for threat either anymore.

Tanks who only use 1 button FTW now. /sigh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by feigning View Post
    Except for catering to bad players

Most tanks jumped for joy whenever someone would propose these types of changes. I personally have theorycrafted quite a bit on the subject and really hope blizz pulls through with something like this soon! The QQ is probably coming from people who don't play tank or only have a tank alt or something like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexryn View Post

So now the only difference between a tank who executes a good rotation and a tank who executes a bad rotation is... tank dps? :/
    Spot on, what a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Except for catering to bad players
    So, the change affects you, since you are good, obviously, and helps some bad players for the first ten seconds of a fight. Are you seriously arrogant enough to say that this makes the game "ezmode" and is catering to bad players? It doesn't affect you. At all. Unless, of course, you are a bad player.
    There are so many frivolous things in this world.

1 less meter on my screen? sounds good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    If I didn't misread the post, you're missing a point. Threat is being "removed", but it's being replaced by active management of survival skills. The post explicitly states that just taking threat out of the equation would make it boring.
    I think it's a good change. Tanks still get to find something to use and separate good tank from the bad while dps doesn't have to worry about the now-trivial threat management. I mean, waiting for 5 seconds or pressing feint now and then doesn't really add much to fights. In contrast, it's a stale mechanic.
    Win-win.

This way blizz can go more crazy on fights too because dps will be busy with dps, tanks with survivability, healers with keeping stuff alive. They're all connected but still doing their own thing.

I can understand buffing threat gen a bit to compensate for the rapidly rising dps outputs from newer gear, but to a point where it's no longer a major consideration? This is an unnecessary change, and I am speaking as a casual player.