Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    selling a gem for 220 g ? are you crazy

if its not that *one* guy undercutting you , all the other gems seller are going to put this around 120g

I look at it this way...

on my JC, if I undercut the only other person selling certain gems by 25-50g (depending on the gem) and it sells - I don't care to who, Joe Blow who just got a new piece of gear and needs a gem or one of you price jackers - it means mine sold and I have my money and you don't. Plus, if the price jackers bought me out and they can't sell their gems at that inflated price, then they are spending more gold on deposits to relist and I'll still be undercutting them and selling before they ever will.

Plus my lower sell price means less money in the AH's cut.

I do just like several have said. Just buy there's if they went way below normal market value. If you just posted yours to high to start though then you probably wouldn't have sold anyway. When I put my stuff on the ah I only care about getting more than I have put into it. If I farmed stuff like herbs or ore then hell anything is a profit. So if that makes you mad in a video game then ya probably have bigger things in life to worry about than being undercut.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind undercutters, I do it myself actually. But, usually, I'm only selling like, one landslide or windwalk for a bit less than someone elses, usually 100G less just so it sells quick. What bothers me is the people who have like 100 items up, I put up one for a bit less looking to just cash out, and they take down all their auctions and set them back up for 1 copper less. Seriously?... But, it's nothing to rage over I guess. In fact, I usually assume its some like... AH bot, so I take my item back down, put it up for 1 copper less than theirs, they take them all back down, and put them all back up again. I do this for about 10 minutes (I'm a loser, I know.) and I leave happy knowing I made them lose some gold. Lol.

So you are one of the sellers getting butthurt over people that not only dont like your high prices but also rather undercut it to sell things for a price they see fit instead of simply following yours? Im sorry, bro... but im totaly on his side. I always sold things a bit cheaper. And love to sell those Maelstromcrystals you put in for 300Gold each for around 80 just to make you squirm in pain, since people don't seem to understand that just because its on the AH for that price its still not worth half of it. Also i dont give a damn about the Market in a Videogame. lol

It's a free market economy. Those people are free to do as they please. I do not even look at it as "people", I just kind of see the AH as a game that you play. Sometimes in games you have bad luck, like getting 10 of those "S"s in a row in Tetris. The AH equivalent is the 50% undercutter. But I don't humanize him. I don't think "that guy sucks / is stupid" or whatever. I simply curse the luck, as I would getting all those irregular pieces in Tetris

With that being said, in most cases, it isn't a conscious decision of the player anyway. Most players use Auctioneer. Auctioneer builds a price database, and by default, posts auctions at the average. I feel that this is an politico-economic statement by the authors of said addon and find it disgusting that they do it. Regardless, their addon is bloated and offers barely any more functionality than far more reasonably written addons like Auctionator.

But I digress. What leads me to believe that Auctioneer is responsible is that I play the AH a bit and I notice how easily and, more importantly, predictably and mathematically I can manipulate prices. It's most apparent with rare goods, a market I have a heavy hand in on my main server. If I post a 1k item for 5k, the other guy will frequently raise his price by a few hundred - the average went up in his Auctioneer database, and so his price went up - just by a little. It happens constantly to me.
    Last edited by baelon; 2011-08-28 at 06:42 AM.

Deleted
    I have approx 3000 auctions running at once. I don't care who I am undercutting or if my prices are ruining the market. I don't have time to sort out over 2000 items and wonder if I hurt somebodies feelings because they're trying to sell a specific item to a specific price. If your item isn't selling to the price you want, it simply isn't desired at that price/time or somebody offers a better price. I've sold "Grey shirt" for 2g, I've sold them for 14g. Market can change a lot. Sometimes I make a bigger profit by selling vendor buyable items then selling a rare item.

I'm more surprised at the amount of people who yell at me for buying their under-priced items to make a profit. I've resisted the urge to tell them that if they price the item at 70% below market price it's their own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    Some people wants to sell their stuff quickly. They don't care about your precious economy.

Stop being so butthurt.
    I dont mind at all if people sell their stuff cheap just because they want a near guarenteed quick sale. But what anoys me is these idiots who undercut with a metric fukton virtually at or even below crafting cost and then they go moan and QQ that their profession doesnt make them any money.

wut!?

15+ Year Old Account
    I have a guildmate who makes hundreds of thousands of gold from AH stalking
    Good luck too him as i cba with that much effort too simply stockpile money i will never spend.

Quote Originally Posted by boniggy View Post
    i have bought them.. he posted 20... ill just continue to buy him out and have a stupid amount stocked. maybe he'll eventually "get" it.
    If by "it" you mean lots of your gold. Welcome to the free market.

Auction House = Free Market. Those getting butt-hurt cos someone stole their market were lazy, slow or overpriced. They fail to grasp the concepts of competition where price goes.

It works like this:
    You think you own a market so you list your item.
    As usual someone undercuts by 1c so you relist
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same
    Same

<snip>

Same
    Same

...etc

Eventually the other guy (if he has the stock to do it) is going to get bored. He undercuts you by 50%. You buy some thinking "noob". He puts more up at the same price, you buy again. After this goes back and forth a bit you get pissed off and if you are one of the whiney, moronic self-entitled people in this thread try and: Send him a shitty mail, report him or other similar actions.

He laughs and keeps listing, you leave the market.
    Guess who won?

He can now price things as he likes till you try the same tricks and thus the market competition continues.

I'm basically sat on 400 greater celestial essence and about 6k dust (and rising) just waiting to completely decimate my competition if the next big patch fails to shift enough of my stock. I WILL wipe the floor with every mofo on my server I could list greaters at 15g each and still make insane profits, just takes a tiny bit more of my time. At sensible prices (usually around 50g each on my server) i'm pulling around 500% profit

---------- Post added 2011-09-01 at 12:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hammahtime View Post
    I look at it this way...

on my JC, if I undercut the only other person selling certain gems by 25-50g (depending on the gem) and it sells - I don't care to who, Joe Blow who just got a new piece of gear and needs a gem or one of you price jackers - it means mine sold and I have my money and you don't. Plus, if the price jackers bought me out and they can't sell their gems at that inflated price, then they are spending more gold on deposits to relist and I'll still be undercutting them and selling before they ever will.

Plus my lower sell price means less money in the AH's cut.
    This guy gets it.

---------- Post added 2011-09-01 at 12:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hulksteri View Post

Some people..
    ...sick of trying to list them and never selling 1 due to insane instant 1c undercutters...

Glyphs is one market that just takes WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much effort for very little gain. I'm still listing a few occasionally from when I skilled up inscription on an alt but unless I sit there relisting 10 times an hour they will (almost) never sell.
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2011-08-31 at 11:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

I need an addon, that can scan all of my posted Auctions and cancel them (manualy or auto) if they are not the lowest posted.
    Can you recomend me any? twvm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lihnida View Post
    I need an addon, that can scan all of my posted Auctions and cancel them (manualy or auto) if they are not the lowest posted.
    Can you recomend me any? twvm.
    Trade skills master (and a couple others) will do this, but you do have to manually click cancel to each one (just click the button once). I think this is as "auto" as it gets, it will scan each item and tell you which ones need to be cancelled based on an undercut, you still actually have to push to cancel them.

Quote Originally Posted by hulksteri View Post

Some people..
    On my server, the guy at 7g has a 2g margin... the guy at 15g is working over 100% profit. The rest of the posters above 15g won't sell a single glyph. I guarantee it. The market doesn't support that type of pricing and scribes are a dime a dozen. There are no rare glyphs anymore. Your server mileage may vary.

undercutting is the best way to make money and piss ppl off at the same time.

Deleted
    LOL I do the exact same thing. Undercutting is the way to go!

OP, you say that ore costs 20-30g per stack. In that case, a 110g meta gem cut is more than 100% profit for you. Why would you not want to sell at that price?

Personally, I roll with the prices. I keep a bottom threshold - in my case it still gives me over 100% profit. I sell meta gems at both 300g and at 100g. I sell Ember Topaz cuts for 30g as well as for 100g. It all fluctuates, but it is all profit too. Sure, when it reaches 20g, I bow out, but so do a lot of others and eventually it will reach respectable levels again. And if it doesn't, then it means that the market situation has changed and that I need to accept the new price. There will still be windows in which I will sell my inferno ruby cuts for 130g, but mostly it is 80-90g. I can either choose to accept it or leave the market. Of course, my server is a very busy one with lots of JCs and Miners out there, and no-one can control the market.

When I came to this server and tried to sell my gems, I was constantly undercut within minutes. It was really frustrating, but my conclusion was that the established JCs were trying to drive a new seller (me) out of the market. I took some choice gems priced at 250g and crashed them to 100g. Rinse and repeat. Then I bought a dozen new cut recipes and flooded the market with them. Instead of keeping 2 of each cut, I kept 4 of each in my bags so my gems were almost always the top. After that I had a few conversations with the JCs and everything went back to normal. Now I can put up my gems and return 12 hours later to find anywhere from 500-5000g.

110g for a meta gem cut is quite profitable. Roll with it or find a new market

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Trade skills master (and a couple others) will do this, but you do have to manually click cancel to each one (just click the button once). I think this is as "auto" as it gets, it will scan each item and tell you which ones need to be cancelled based on an undercut, you still actually have to push to cancel them.
    Might have already been mentioned, but Auctionator can do this for you. Just click the More tab on the bottom right hand side when you install it, and click the Check for Undercuts button.

Undercutting is a consequence or some materials of crafted items being way too commonly available.
    If those items were actually rarer instead of something dozens of people if not several times that number are readily farming at any point then we would see higher prices, and less undercutting.