High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Arcane DPS question

Is it normal for arcane dps to drop by about 8-15k when switching from the burn phase in to the mana conservation phase. Whilst in the mana conservation phase I do arcane blast until missles proc, if they don't proc before 3 stacks I do a arcane barrage, rinse and repeat until my CDs are back up.

Thanks for any help

Do you have an armory link so we can what your gear is like? You should always be going to at least 4 stacks of arcane blast. At around 100k mana with raid buffs you should easily be able to go ABx5 AM to clear stacks, ABx4 AM to clear stacks, ABx5 etc while staying ~95% mana. Of course going to a 6th/5th stack if you get clearcasting procs, or int procs (such as power torrent).

Personally I'm now at 124k mana raid buffed and go to 6/7 AB before clearing it while staying 90-95% mana without any trouble, no shard of woe sadly.

Forgot to mention that not doing the above and going to at least 4 stacks is the exact reason your dps drops down so significantly.

Deleted
    Keep bashing that AB abit more ;p
    also its normal to drop that much dps indeed, always end up alot higher than everyone else at burn and then slowly drains down to the middle

Deleted
    Using missiles on proc is a waste. You should never use missiles before 4th Arcane Blast, entire mana conservation phase, you should be at 85-100% mana to make use of mastery, but by using missiles as soon as they proc, you dont spend enough mana to compensate for your mana gains (mage armor), hence wasting it.
    That said, this of course applies to up to date gear(372-378 ilvl), on lower itemlvls, your mana regen may be lower and you will need to use missiles/barrage more.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TarTime View Post
    Whilst in the mana conservation phase I do arcane blast until missles proc, if they don't proc before 3 stacks I do a arcane barrage
    That works more or less, but the real guideline is your mana %, not some number of Arcane Blasts. You want your mana to hover somewhere around 95% or 97%, as close as you can comfortably get to 100% without being so close that Mage Armor ticks are wasted. Just doing 3x AB, 1x (AM or ABarr) isn't always going to be best, because Clearcasts and other randomness can give you mana you weren't expecting. Just watch the mana bar.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rtime/advanced not great gear but ha ho

---------- Post added 2011-08-17 at 10:38 AM ----------

Thanks for the tips guys, will work around my mana % rather than set number of ABs and see how it goes

I tend to do around 40-50k during the burn phase, and 20-24k in conserve. phase.

I only have 367 i.lvl
    Last edited by murzoo; 2011-08-17 at 10:39 AM.

Deleted
    Yeah it's quite normal for your DPS to drop by quite a bit, depending on your luck with crits during burn. With FL normal gear, you can expect to have 50k+ dps during the initial burn phase, then have it drop to 25-30k afterward.