Page 1 of 25
... LastLast

Patch 4.3 - Deathwing, Transmogrifier, Void Storage

Update - Added the translation of the original article, thanks to Treeston!

Patch 4.3 - Deathwing, Transmogrifier, Void Storage
    Tom Chilton (Kalgan) answered a couple of questions from Gamona.de on Patch 4.3, and we got a bunch of very interesting news out of it. Patch 4.3 will feature:

• New Raid - The Deathwing raid, making it very likely to be the last patch before the next expansion.
    • 3 new 5-man instances - Including one in the Caverns of Time. (War of the Ancients was mentioned as a cataclysm instance a few years ago, but a lot of things have changed since then, who knows!)
    • The Transmogrifier NPC, which will let you change the appearance of any armor piece on you, while retaining the stats of your current gear. (= T12 stats, but with the Tier 2 look!)
    • Players won't be able to change the appearance of their armor into another armor type or class armor set, and you might have to own the armor before you can use it to swap the appearance of your existing armor.
    • The Void Storage is a new type of bank where players will be able to store their old armors in order to free up space in their regular bank.
    • The Abyssal Maw dungeon is gone for the moment, the storyline wasn't convincing enough/fitting.

If someone feels like adding information or even translating the article completely, post in comments!

Translation of the original article on gamona.de
    We're at GamesCon in Cologne, Germany, and just did an interview with Tom Chilton, Lead Game Developer and Chris Robinson, Lead Art Director, in which they revealed a lot of details regarding patch 4.3 - and it seems that the announcement of it being huge was no joke:

Patch 4.3 will bring us the Deathwing raid instance! This means it's likely that we'll be able to fight the Aspect of Death in an epic encounter within this year. The raid that was originally expected for this patch, the "Abyssal Maw", was cut from the schedule because, as Chilton states, the setting and the story were not convincing enough.

Furthermore, 4.3 will also bring three entirely new 5-man instances - Chilton assured us that these won't contain any re-vamped content, but instead be brand new with unique design and models. Chilton also hinted at one of those being within the Caverns of Time, allowing players to experience another great moment of Warcraft Lore first-hand.

The interview also revealed the purpose of the "mystery ethereals" in Stormwind (and likely other cities, too). The "Transmogrifier" NPC will allow players to change the displayed model of equipment to that of another item while keeping the original attributes: Transmogrification is only possible within an armor class - Plate armor can only assume the looks of other Plate armor, for example.
    • Class restrictions apply to Transmogrification - Warriors cannot transmogrify their armor to look like Death Knight tier sets.
    • The developers are considering whether they should only allow using the models of equipment that has already been obtained

The "Void Storage" is a very large bank-esque storage which allows old equipment to be stored, freeing up inventory/bank slots for players. The developers aren't sure yet about the definition of "old equipment". The cost of the storage (and whether there even is one) is another thing that is not yet decided

Another possible feature that was hinted at is the possibility of "void stored" equipment being available to other characters on the account (NOTE: That part might be speculation from Gamona, not cross-server transfers actually confirmed. Hard to tell.)

Overall, it seems that we've got a huge patch ahead of us - a new raid, three brand new instances, Transmogrification and Void Storage.

Last edited by Boubouille; 2011-08-17 at 01:06 PM.

Told ya so! It's been painfully obvious for a long while that Deathwing would be the next tier after Firelands.

Edit: and 1st!

Infracted.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 2011-08-17 at 05:10 PM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Told ya so! It's been painfully obvious for a long while that Deathwing would be the next tier after Firelands.

Edit: and 1st!
    Does every idiot have to say FIRST!!! like nobody can see that they are, indeed, first?

And about time.

Deleted
    Curious about the new heroics. The ICC dungeons were awesome!

Deleted
    This sounds so damn awesome

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It'd be better if you had to first own the gear before transmogrifying it ... the flurry of activity in old raids would be the shot in the arm that WoW needs.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh no Blizzard, don't do this...

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Finaly some proof for all those who didnt believe it

Cool stuff... but kinda sad about how short this expansion has been!

Deleted
    wow, The Transmogrifier sounds awesome!

Deleted
    Epic. Looking forward to finishing off my T12 set, then I can go back and farm up some old bits to match ;DWonder if weapons will be included? Specifics, dammit, people! We need data! Can't theorise without data! Happy player, signing off.

Stood in the Fire Grimalkin of Old's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No War of the Ancients raid? Bummer

Deleted
    so this expansion will be insanely short ? interesting. Hope they will make up for it in pandaria

I can believe Deathwing will be in 4.3, but I don't think it will be the last patch. Maybe we'll face N'zoth as the last tier in Cata, just like in TBC, Illidan wasn't the last bad guy, even being the "main villain" for so long. Also, can't wait for the new NPC. More than half of my bank is old gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    hurray! more rushed content! rejoice!

Great, here come the purple dress ,broom, gas mask players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Different armour type O.o why not different colour. Oh well, this will be a pretty awesome patch!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not going to lie. I'm extremely disappointed in the fact that WotA isn't going to be a raid. The concept behind it, along with the number of true lore-based boss possibilities, was making me giddy.

Well, the good thing about void storage is I now can put all those armor sets I've kept like the old ZG rep armor and the Scourge invasion sets. The bad thing is I was hoping for an account-wide bank as a way to transfer BoAs.

Holy carp!

What this roughly translates into for me is 4 bags worth of free bank space