Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Overly aggressive Hunter pet bug

    Recently (at least as of July, judging by a thread on the official forum) a bunch of Hunters, myself and the fiancee included, have been experiencing a bug where unless our pets are set to Passive, they will more often than not run off to attack a new mob within range once their current target is dead. This has been happening even in the case of neutral mobs that were otherwise not in combat at all. I've tweeted Celestalon to ask if he's aware of this. How many Hunters are sharing this experience? Have we heard any word on this at all?
    Last edited by SteveZombie; 2014-09-08 at 10:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Kael'thas 5/5, Deathrattle: summon a 5/5 Kael'thas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    It's like when you grunt when you hit the ball in tennis, the exhalation of air gives the shot more power.

  2. #2
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    My perch in Stormwind.
    Posts
    30
    Welcome to the world of bad pet pathing/pet actions in Warcraft. It's been this way for years. Dev's don't care about it and most times won't even address the issue unless it's something that bugs the pet to do massive damage (Like in LK when pets in BG's could solo people). Sadly, submit a bug report, be as precise and detailed about it as you can and hope someone with some time and motivation fixes it. About all you can do.

  3. #3
    do you have any kind of macros that involve the /petattack command?

    also some kind of specific situation would also help us diagnose this

  4. #4
    Yeah pet pathing has been bad but this is something else entirely. I only vaguely remember what Aggressive mode used to be like; it's sort of like we're stuck on that all of a sudden. Since I rolled my main I have literally only seen something like this happen once, and that was with a group of mobs off to the side of one of the bosses in Maraudon back in 5.1 (on that note there was one time my pet automatically BL'd when I zoned in to an Ahune run once. The group never believed it wasn't my fault).
    But I'm such a derp I forgot about in-game bug reporting. I'll get on that when I get a chance tomorrow.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    do you have any kind of macros that involve the /petattack command?

    also some kind of specific situation would also help us diagnose this
    Only my burst macro, but it's easy to duplicate with auto attacks and no legendary cloak.
    A good example I've had recently is when on the Argent Tournament daily The Fate of the Fallen, Scourge Converters are hostile while Fallen Hero's Spirits are not. Oftentimes I'll attack and kill a Converter and my pet will immediately target and attack a nearby Spirit which has otherwise not been aggro'd by any means; proximity, AoE, anything. Generally if it's within 40 yards it's fair game, so says my cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Kael'thas 5/5, Deathrattle: summon a 5/5 Kael'thas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    It's like when you grunt when you hit the ball in tennis, the exhalation of air gives the shot more power.

  5. #5
    The Lightbringer Tehterokkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,500
    If you target another mob and press a macro with /petattack and continue attacking the previous mob(you don't even have to actually attack it), your pet will very often go to that mob after your primary target is dead.

    There is no bug of a pet going Aggressive mode(since they removed it in Cata), it's always the Hunter doing something.

    I recommend this line for pet attack command on your primary macros(AS, ES, KC, whatever):

    Code:
    /petattack [@pettarget,noexists]

    And have a separate keybind for completely for
    Code:
    /petattack
    when you actually have to switch targets.

    This is less relevant as BM(I use /petattack only on KC, CS/AS/SrS no pet commands), but I use it as SV and MM(when I play it for lols).

  6. #6
    I just nipped on to try and duplicate it with some of the mobs in Kun-Lai and the pet seems to be having one of those now-rare bouts of perfect behaviour. This is a thing that is happening, however. Only recently, and not just to myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Kael'thas 5/5, Deathrattle: summon a 5/5 Kael'thas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    It's like when you grunt when you hit the ball in tennis, the exhalation of air gives the shot more power.

  7. #7
    mine only goes after oondasta if i get in range

  8. #8
    Dreadlord Roangut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The pumpkin patch
    Posts
    875
    I've had this problem, but It hasn't got me into trouble yet so I generally just laugh it off. It seems to only happen with mobs that get one shot, I've never had my pet do this on Higher level stuff that takes more than a few hits to kill.
    "Always wash your berries before you eat them...And fly towards the sun!"

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Brawl Pub
    Posts
    3,907
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveZombie View Post
    Yeah pet pathing has been bad but this is something else entirely. I only vaguely remember what Aggressive mode used to be like; it's sort of like we're stuck on that all of a sudden. Since I rolled my main I have literally only seen something like this happen once, and that was with a group of mobs off to the side of one of the bosses in Maraudon back in 5.1 (on that note there was one time my pet automatically BL'd when I zoned in to an Ahune run once. The group never believed it wasn't my fault).
    But I'm such a derp I forgot about in-game bug reporting. I'll get on that when I get a chance tomorrow.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Only my burst macro, but it's easy to duplicate with auto attacks and no legendary cloak.
    A good example I've had recently is when on the Argent Tournament daily The Fate of the Fallen, Scourge Converters are hostile while Fallen Hero's Spirits are not. Oftentimes I'll attack and kill a Converter and my pet will immediately target and attack a nearby Spirit which has otherwise not been aggro'd by any means; proximity, AoE, anything. Generally if it's within 40 yards it's fair game, so says my cat.
    The whole of the Argent Tourney is a bugged mess. I've not been doing it on my hunter, but my voidwalker on my warlock does some silly things at times there as well. Can you replicate it in newer content?

  10. #10
    it seems to happen to me when doing old content, and pretty much only then.

  11. #11
    Happens alot, but only when pet is on assist. Randomly attacks a new nearby target after killing another one.

  12. #12
    I've noticed this happening a lot lately also, and like others mentioned I have only had it happen in older content. In MC for example I usually only kill the first pack of core hounds and skip the rest to kill the bosses, but recently once I kill the first pack my pet will just run off and attack another pack for no reason. Not a big deal here but if it were to happen in a modern raid it would be disastrous. I hope it doesn't happen in the anniversary version of MC.

  13. #13
    The Lightbringer Agoonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    3,102
    I've been experiencing this bug. I'm not sure if it was aggressive in passive stance for me too.

  14. #14
    never seen it before, playing hunter so long time, and i dont use any macro.

    only time pet attacks new target, its because mob is some way aggroed, went to close, some aoe thingy, not notice it or what ever, even had that on my lock, so just not bug, your probley unaware of you actions and probley pet body aggro nearby mob or some aoe attackt hit it that you did no notice, fault of player and not a bug.

    you can ofc denie its your fault and keep complain its a bug, eventual more unaware people start to beleave its the system fault and not theirs, i say learn control you pet noob.

    pet reacts instant if mob has been aggrod, probley had same issue if was on passive instead of pet reacts it would run back to you but mob still in combat with you or your pet and attacks you, your slower then your pet reacts and because you did not notice mob has been aggro it looks like pet got its own will and attacks aggroed mob. but fact is you are not skilled enough and trow it on the bug shelve instead of hmm maybe i did something cause aggro.

    its easier to blame someone els then admit your wrong.

    that for assist.

    passive pets do nothing untill you order them to, if your pet run off when on passsive then it is 100% your fault and told pet to attack. some macro you use, i dont use macros so my pet will stay unluss i push my attack button of him.
    Last edited by Shaylia; 2014-09-09 at 08:56 AM.

  15. #15
    It's not a bug, you're just terrible at controlling your pet.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The whole of the Argent Tourney is a bugged mess. I've not been doing it on my hunter, but my voidwalker on my warlock does some silly things at times there as well. Can you replicate it in newer content?
    I actually couldn't last night on some 87s; as Nightspear has pointed out it may in fact only be older content where this is happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Kael'thas 5/5, Deathrattle: summon a 5/5 Kael'thas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    It's like when you grunt when you hit the ball in tennis, the exhalation of air gives the shot more power.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    It's not a bug, you're just terrible at controlling your pet.
    /pat attack
    Log Reviews @
    Nnug#6921-Twitter-Stream

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    It's not a bug, you're just terrible at controlling your pet.
    Please read the original post more carefully.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaylia View Post
    never seen it before, playing hunter so long time, and i dont use any macro.

    only time pet attacks new target, its because mob is some way aggroed, went to close, some aoe thingy, not notice it or what ever, even had that on my lock, so just not bug, your probley unaware of you actions and probley pet body aggro nearby mob or some aoe attackt hit it that you did no notice, fault of player and not a bug.

    you can ofc denie its your fault and keep complain its a bug, eventual more unaware people start to beleave its the system fault and not theirs, i say learn control you pet noob.

    pet reacts instant if mob has been aggrod, probley had same issue if was on passive instead of pet reacts it would run back to you but mob still in combat with you or your pet and attacks you, your slower then your pet reacts and because you did not notice mob has been aggro it looks like pet got its own will and attacks aggroed mob. but fact is you are not skilled enough and trow it on the bug shelve instead of hmm maybe i did something cause aggro.

    its easier to blame someone els then admit your wrong.

    that for assist.

    passive pets do nothing untill you order them to, if your pet run off when on passsive then it is 100% your fault and told pet to attack. some macro you use, i dont use macros so my pet will stay unluss i push my attack button of him.
    Again, please read more carefully. You say this happens when another mob has been aggro'd. I have already said this is happening with mobs that have not.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrackerzod View Post
    I've noticed this happening a lot lately also, and like others mentioned I have only had it happen in older content. In MC for example I usually only kill the first pack of core hounds and skip the rest to kill the bosses, but recently once I kill the first pack my pet will just run off and attack another pack for no reason. Not a big deal here but if it were to happen in a modern raid it would be disastrous. I hope it doesn't happen in the anniversary version of MC.
    This. Magmadar's Core Hound packs never used to get in the way, ever. Now, with pet on Assist, it systematically runs around aggroing every single one. Apparently some people don't think this change in behaviour is a bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Kael'thas 5/5, Deathrattle: summon a 5/5 Kael'thas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    It's like when you grunt when you hit the ball in tennis, the exhalation of air gives the shot more power.

  19. #19
    I noticed that happening the past few days with my hunter. My pet will randomly attack things I'm not even remotely in combat with - it happened with the core hound packs in MC for me as well, in fact. Happened in a few other areas while mining and such, or farming a few different mobs around the world.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    Btw: *Tanaan, *Farahlon, *Arakkoa. Not that hard.

  20. #20
    Mechagnome Ghraxxus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    unholy hell of Texas
    Posts
    689
    Personally, I've haven't had this issue of pet running off to attack something... Having ur pet stand around and not attack after u pressed the pet attack macro, then yeah had that issue alot in fact.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •