Page 1 of 32
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    WoD Beta Destruction Discussion

    With the testing of Warlords of Draenor underway it seems like a good time to start making spec specific threads to ensure a large change in 1 spec doesn't overshadow equally valid discussion about another spec in the main WoD discussion thread.

    Feel free to use this thread to chat about the spec in general, or about a specific issue you have, as well as any theorycrafting. Use it to ask questions, since this is the most likely place to find people with knowledge about Destruction and the way it will play in Warlords of Draenor!


    To at least give this thread some sort of start, with still so few people in the test: How do you feel about the level 100 talents for Destruction?


    IMPORTANT NOTE:

    If you want to help make Warlocks awesome, mainly by making sure we can use Simcraft as an accurate tool to compare gear and talent set ups then please visit this thread and see if you can help out: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...4#post28070824
    Last edited by xskarma; 2014-07-07 at 03:08 AM.
    Your Soul Shall Suffer! ||| Forum rules ||| New England Patriots

  2. #2
    I kind of like Chaos Bolt being a special thing you "build up" to and unleash without machine-gunning them, so I'm not totally enamored with Charred Remains from a single target perspective, but this is something I'd like to get my hands on as I could very well like it much more in practice. AoE Chaos Bolt is admittedly pretty cool, but same deal I guess with there being some Chaos Bolt burnout possibility.

    Not particularly excited or disappointed with Cataclysm and Servitude. I would have bet that these would have been two of the talents, so I'm not all that surprised.

  3. #3
    i am curious on how the 2 new stats multistrike and versatility are going to work with destruction.
    worried about versatility though.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Zanjin/simple horde main
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...2#post25856782
    Coming soon Expansion ideas: Age of N'zoth, Assault on Agrus.

  4. #4

    Please make it live.

  5. #5
    Destruction would just continue doing what it has been doing throughout Mists in WoD if it weren't for those stinking mobility changes. The 100 talents would further secure it's AoE dominance, but right now it just looks so grim for the spec when movement disrupts it too much and in PvP where the long casts and mobility issues will just gut it.

    I've been playing Destruction main spec for more then a year now but I'm unlikely to continue with it in WoD as things stand. Affliction might still work out without snapshotting, if they get the damage balance right, but I feel Destruction needs actual mechanics/spells/talent changes to adress the lack of movement buttons or the spec will be beyond boring to play with movement (if the lack of damage in such situations doesn't allready disqualify it).
    Your Soul Shall Suffer! ||| Forum rules ||| New England Patriots

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ragonfu View Post

    Please make it live.
    personally i would rather have the permanent infernal. i have wanted it since classic.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Zanjin/simple horde main
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...2#post25856782
    Coming soon Expansion ideas: Age of N'zoth, Assault on Agrus.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    personally i would rather have the permanent infernal. i have wanted it since classic.
    From what I saw on Sparkuggz's stream on the first night, the damage of the Infernal was pathetic. You might use it to look cool in cities, but you'd never use it in actual fighting circumstances. The talent in general is bad at the moment, since the demons you summon with it don't have abilities (as of yet at least) so you'd give up a lot of utility by taking the talent too, and not just AoE Chaos Bolts.
    Your Soul Shall Suffer! ||| Forum rules ||| New England Patriots

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Destruction would just continue doing what it has been doing throughout Mists in WoD if it weren't for those stinking mobility changes. The 100 talents would further secure it's AoE dominance, but right now it just looks so grim for the spec when movement disrupts it too much and in PvP where the long casts and mobility issues will just gut it.

    I've been playing Destruction main spec for more then a year now but I'm unlikely to continue with it in WoD as things stand. Affliction might still work out without snapshotting, if they get the damage balance right, but I feel Destruction needs actual mechanics/spells/talent changes to adress the lack of movement buttons or the spec will be beyond boring to play with movement (if the lack of damage in such situations doesn't allready disqualify it).
    well if i manage to make it back for WoD. seeing as i despise demonology with a passion now and i have no idea how affliction works. i will be sticking with destruction no matter what and also i am a pyro at heart.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    From what I saw on Sparkuggz's stream on the first night, the damage of the Infernal was pathetic. You might use it to look cool in cities, but you'd never use it in actual fighting circumstances. The talent in general is bad at the moment, since the demons you summon with it don't have abilities (as of yet at least) so you'd give up a lot of utility by taking the talent too, and not just AoE Chaos Bolts.
    i dont care and since its alpha i am still hoping that the manage to put skills in for it and doomguard.
    i doubt i would be doing serious raiding anyway with my lock anyway.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Zanjin/simple horde main
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...2#post25856782
    Coming soon Expansion ideas: Age of N'zoth, Assault on Agrus.

  9. #9
    I'm really torn on my Destruction talent pickings. The green abyssal is incredible, but two infernals is at least as cool, and Cataclysm is just stylish as all hell. I'm honestly not that sold on Charred Remains, though... I think it has to do with CB's graphic. Maybe if we could somehow get back the Soul Fire of early Mists beta instead of it - that thing had impact.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    I kind of like Chaos Bolt being a special thing you "build up" to and unleash without machine-gunning them, so I'm not totally enamored with Charred Remains from a single target perspective, but this is something I'd like to get my hands on as I could very well like it much more in practice. AoE Chaos Bolt is admittedly pretty cool, but same deal I guess with there being some Chaos Bolt burnout possibility.

    Not particularly excited or disappointed with Cataclysm and Servitude. I would have bet that these would have been two of the talents, so I'm not all that surprised.
    Mechanics wise, Charred Remains will likely be stronger than the normal single target rotation until we get access to powerful trinkets. I'm really not sure how they're going to balance Charred Remains patch-to-patch without changing it's damage bonus to compensate for stronger and stronger proc trinkets.

    I personally would much rather see a talent which places further emphasis on using embers effectively. Back in T14 embers were so rare that you were able to dump like 2 embers between DS cds. Nowadays, and looking forward to WoD with the crit perks and faster Chaos Bolt casts, it seems that Destro is going more and more into the boring "fast hitting, fast resource generation" spec, just like every other one in the game. I much prefer the slower, more methodical playstyle where resource generation is slow, but individually effective. I guess that causes major problems in PvP though.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    i am curious on how the 2 new stats multistrike and versatility are going to work with destruction.
    worried about versatility though.
    Versatility is 1% damage, healing done, and 1% less damage taken per percentage point to my understanding. Compare that with Haste or Crit which, bar specific class mechanics, provide 1% damage over the course of a fight. I'm not sure how versatility won't be the best stat possible for specs which don't have additional haste or crit benefit, unless the total rating per percentage point of Versatility is significantly higher than that of Crit/Haste.

    As for multistrike, I'm assuming that it'll generate emberbits, which will basically make it just like another ember generation stat like haste or crit.

    - - - Updated - - -

    On a different topic: I really, really hope that they have something planned with regards to stat balance for Charred Remains. You essentially don't need any haste or crit for ember generation with that talent, which I feel like will make Mastery be valued way, way more than the generation stats.

  11. #11
    As I understand with Versatility, you'll need more rating points to gain the 1% damage increase than is required for 1% Haste or Crit, making it weaker as a throughput stat. I just have this feeling it'll be the go-to stat for Tanks after their resource gen stat, where it provides a boost to both their active and passive mitigation, but be generally regarded for DPS and Healers as more an interim thing until you get better throughput stats. I'm just not seeing the point in it honestly, because at the very high end where enrages matter, it'll suck, and at the lower end, where people only pick it up as an interim piece, they won't have enough of the stat across their gear to see any significant benefit from the mitigation.

  12. #12
    Imo Versatility = new pvp power, it will be a trash stat for pve.

    People will play with GoSac and charred remains, mastery>mt. strike (pretty sure it won't generate any embers). I have no idea how blizzard is going to balance Charred remains, imo eventually it will be nerfed into aoe chaosbolt only and lvl 100 talent tier will be about aoe. Demon bolt and Doomguard will be transfered into LvL 90 talents(or else) instead of KjC and Mf. KjC will be removed and MF will be merged with infernal in tier 100.

  13. #13
    Well personnally I'm not really excited about lvl 100 talents for destro:
    - Dps with charred remains is going to look weird, incinerates doing pretty much no dmg and then big burst with CB. Meh. The only awesome thing is the FnB CB
    - Cataclysm ? Does something we can already do with FnB and the instant damage doesn't look really good.
    - I'm not really looking forward to having pets again. I've been happy with GoSac in Mists and Blizzard's will to not make any link between GoSac and Doomguards/Infernal is going to crush that. I've never liked managing a pet but still love the gameplay of warlocks, please don't make me have a pet again

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Heledar View Post
    Well personnally I'm not really excited about lvl 100 talents for destro:
    - Dps with charred remains is going to look weird, incinerates doing pretty much no dmg and then big burst with CB. Meh. The only awesome thing is the FnB CB
    - Cataclysm ? Does something we can already do with FnB and the instant damage doesn't look really good.
    - I'm not really looking forward to having pets again. I've been happy with GoSac in Mists and Blizzard's will to not make any link between GoSac and Doomguards/Infernal is going to crush that. I've never liked managing a pet but still love the gameplay of warlocks, please don't make me have a pet again
    Some people are still of the opinion we are a pet class and not a minion class who would gladly sac it for power, it'll be interesting to see what gul'dan's pet looks like in WoD... O wait...

  15. #15
    Banned xuros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    new orleans
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by Heledar View Post
    Well personnally I'm not really excited about lvl 100 talents for destro:
    - Dps with charred remains is going to look weird, incinerates doing pretty much no dmg and then big burst with CB. Meh. The only awesome thing is the FnB CB
    - Cataclysm ? Does something we can already do with FnB and the instant damage doesn't look really good.
    - I'm not really looking forward to having pets again. I've been happy with GoSac in Mists and Blizzard's will to not make any link between GoSac and Doomguards/Infernal is going to crush that. I've never liked managing a pet but still love the gameplay of warlocks, please don't make me have a pet again
    The point of the weeker incinerates is to nothave to use them as much. With the talent you will only incinerate as needed with immolate kept up due to the sick ember generation. WIll be a CB and SB spam fest lol.

  16. #16
    The Lightbringer Kathranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    3,103
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    From what I saw on Sparkuggz's stream on the first night, the damage of the Infernal was pathetic.
    They haven't tuned those pets yet. They said that they'll be adding new spells and stuff to them before it goes live.

  17. #17
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Destruction would just continue doing what it has been doing throughout Mists in WoD if it weren't for those stinking mobility changes. The 100 talents would further secure it's AoE dominance, but right now it just looks so grim for the spec when movement disrupts it too much and in PvP where the long casts and mobility issues will just gut it.

    I've been playing Destruction main spec for more then a year now but I'm unlikely to continue with it in WoD as things stand. Affliction might still work out without snapshotting, if they get the damage balance right, but I feel Destruction needs actual mechanics/spells/talent changes to adress the lack of movement buttons or the spec will be beyond boring to play with movement (if the lack of damage in such situations doesn't allready disqualify it).
    Your comments got me to rethink the value of KJC in WoD. It lines up with Dark Soul and might be necessary on certain fights to ensure 100% uptime on CBs while DS (and hopefully trinket procs) are active. I hate the talent with a passion, but if our damage will be again based on casting hugely buffed Chaos Bolts, we may actually need it.
    A living Warlock = a dead everyone else

  18. #18
    don't get me wrong, i love destro, but demon just looks better, mobile dps will be a thing as it seems

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Zharradan View Post
    don't get me wrong, i love destro, but demon just looks better, mobile dps will be a thing as it seems
    for now until the release that they were suppose to be removing caster mobility.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    Some people are still of the opinion we are a pet class and not a minion class who would gladly sac it for power, it'll be interesting to see what gul'dan's pet looks like in WoD... O wait...
    warlocks are a pet class and hunters are a pet class.
    1 talent doesnt change that.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post


    Versatility is 1% damage, healing done, and 1% less damage taken per percentage point to my understanding. Compare that with Haste or Crit which, bar specific class mechanics, provide 1% damage over the course of a fight. I'm not sure how versatility won't be the best stat possible for specs which don't have additional haste or crit benefit, unless the total rating per percentage point of Versatility is significantly higher than that of Crit/Haste.

    As for multistrike, I'm assuming that it'll generate emberbits, which will basically make it just like another ember generation stat like haste or crit.
    doesnt destruction mastery already buff the damage of certain spells? so mastery+versatility might be really strong.

    never hurts to have another one doesnt it?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Zanjin/simple horde main
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...2#post25856782
    Coming soon Expansion ideas: Age of N'zoth, Assault on Agrus.

  20. #20
    Banned xuros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    new orleans
    Posts
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    for now until the release that they were suppose to be removing caster mobility.

    - - - Updated - - -



    warlocks are a pet class and hunters are a pet class.
    1 talent doesnt change that.

    - - - Updated - - -



    doesnt destruction mastery already buff the damage of certain spells? so mastery+versatility might be really strong.

    never hurts to have another one doesnt it?
    Hunters have a talent now that lets them play without the pet. We mayne a pet class but we are a pet class that loves to go petless )

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •