Thread: SWTOR .... lol?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be completely honest here. I'm a pretty big supporter of the game but I'm by no means a fan boy. Hell, half the shit I post in the SWTOR megathread gets me euthanized by the regulars. If the game sucks, it's going to suck and I wont play it simply because of the name on it or to pretend it's KOTOR3.

However, if the game is just WoW with a starwars paintjob, sign me the fuck up. I love wow. It's been an incredibly enjoyable game for me and millions of others. Unfortunately, I've been around the WoW scene for about 6 years now and it's just getting a little bland. Something like SWTOR could completely rejuvenate the smooth combat and competitive PVP I loved about WoW.

My only concern is getting extremely bored with the conversation cutscenes for almost every goddamn thing in the game. I played and enjoyed Kotor.. but I'll be the first to admit that I've skipped a bunch of the conversations in that game. If some dude just wants me to go kill 10 Elk, I don't have to know why it's going to benefit his family.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    And yet, in my opinion none of that matters as much as the mechanic you spend the most time with playing these games: combat. And it looks the same as WoW/Rift/WAR/etc. in all the videos I've seen. Those I've spoken to in the beta seem to agree.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good story, music, environment, etc. But it wasn't enough in "those other games." The only thing that trumps actual gameplay for me is community. And threads like these leave me feeling very, very worried.
    um please tell me you don't play wow. the wow community is the absolute worst group of people I've ever had the displeasure of being apart of. ever since i quit the game my life great just based on the fact that I don't have to deal with those people anymore.

but then again here i am posting on these forums

Quote Originally Posted by Brandoh View Post
    an unbiased opinion of a guy that wasn't gonna buy the game anyway
    Not that I really care either way, but that's a pretty big oxymoron right there...

"I had already made up my mind that I didn't want something before trying it, but don't worry, my opinion on it is completely unbiased!"

Having reached a prejudged decision on something is pretty much the straight up definition of biased....

Deleted
    Just gotten kinda curious... I didn't care for SW:ToR much until now... and still don't really do... but would you guys be so kind to answer me the following:
    What in ToR is not in some way in WoW?
    Okay... that sounds a bit too abstract...
    It's just... I've seen some vids of ToR and it really DOES look like WoW - in the SW universe... which is what the OP meant...
    When you play ToR, do you feel like you're in a totally new game or do you feel like you're playing WoW in a SW world with SW characters?

Just compare it to let's say Guild Wars 2 - it'll be really hard to think "hey, this is like WoW" while playing that, because it's extremely different... ToR just has a very WoW-ish feel to it, at least from watching videos...
    So yeah, what's really different?

PS: Don't play WoW anymore, so please don't try the "WoW-Fanboy"-thingy on me... I just ain't :/ I'm kinda a Fanboy of other games, like Witcher-Franchise (gotten less tho) and Darksiders, but not of MMOs. Gotten saturated from WoW some time ago.
    Might start GW2 if I'll feel like it though... but pretty sure I won't be buying ToR...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    And yet, in my opinion none of that matters as much as the mechanic you spend the most time with playing these games: combat. And it looks the same as WoW/Rift/WAR/etc. in all the videos I've seen. Those I've spoken to in the beta seem to agree.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good story, music, environment, etc. But it wasn't enough in "those other games." The only thing that trumps actual gameplay for me is community. And threads like these leave me feeling very, very worried.
    This is why I really look forward to an MMO that has the same combat as TERA/DN but isn't an asian grindfest. The combat in SWTOR is not based on Star Wars, it's based on all of the other failures/old games. The community has the potential to be great but there will always be douchebags and assholes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandoh View Post
    so i watched my freind play some beta of that new SW mmo.

i dont see that the fuss is about.
    uses the same WoW type animations and quests, mounts, fight, etc.

after about 30min it just seemed like WoW but with lightsabers and lasers and spaceships.

the graphics and models were bit smoother/better, but gameplay wise....

Rift 2 incoming.
    Keep living the dream my friend. Rift is doing fine and still growing. I'm sure SWTOR will do fine too. Wow will continue on as will the other MMO's and you should learn to be not so close minded and fanboyish. Just saying. Wow is loosing appeal to many people it's old and tired and it's age is showing. If wow is "good" enough for you leave it at that and play it.

It basically is WoW, just set in the Star Wars universe. Which in itself is enough to keep a steady fan base, how ever there is no way it will eclipse WoW in subs.

Deleted
    Dude, its STAR WARS. Not to offend someone, but it's one the most beloved franchises by geeks.

Tho i really fail to see, what's so great about it... Couple of monks running around with light swords... RIGHT...

Lego Storm Troopers look neat tho.

Warhammer 40k and SPACE MARINES on the other hand...
    FOR THE EMPEROR!

10+ Year Old Account
    Just gonna say, how different can an MMO be?
    Of course you're gonna have to hit keys and do quests. You're not gonna auto attack and grind mobs till you hit max level, are you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Keep living the dream my friend. Rift is doing fine and still growing. I'm sure SWTOR will do fine too. Wow will continue on as will the other MMO's and you should learn to be not so close minded and fanboyish. Just saying. Wow is loosing appeal to many people it's old and tired and it's age is showing. If wow is "good" enough for you leave it at that and play it.
    Actually, that's a good point. Where exactly is the Rift = bad comparison coming from in this thread? I don't particularly care for the game myself, but the numbers are doing fantastic and it's got a jawdropping rate of content additions.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    My only concern is getting extremely bored with the conversation cutscenes for almost every goddamn thing in the game. I played and enjoyed Kotor.. but I'll be the first to admit that I've skipped a bunch of the conversations in that game. If some dude just wants me to go kill 10 Elk, I don't have to know why it's going to benefit his family.
    From what I've seen in the Beta, the "kill x number of y" quests generally don't have cinematics attached, they just pop up after you kill the first y, and automatically grant the extra xp after killing the xth y, without having to go back and turn it in to anyone. As for the story oriented quests, you can still skip the dialogue if you get bored by spamming space bar.

maybe if blizzard picked up the fucking pace and got diablo 3 moving then no one would care about swtor.

but since it takes them over 10 years to release a sequel then people like me need to branch out eventually

15+ Year Old Account
    We don't need another separate thread to flame/semi-discuss a game.

If you have constructive criticism, take it to the SWtoR megathread; if you're just going to post and say you don't like the game and think it's lame to stir up drama then it's better kept to yourself.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right